Universal Dead Cells (by Motion Twin & Playdigious) [TA GoTY 2019]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Aug 27, 2019.

1. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    :eek:

F20B9A4A-EC33-4DB2-B766-4C88778A735A.png

:D

I got it for The Concierge last week too.... also on 3BC....

And here I was thinking I'd never reach 2BC with virtual controls.
    :rolleyes:

I think I'm really starting to like the Hayabusa Boots and playing with a shield (any shield really, except for Assault - the dash forward screws with me a bit too much...). Also, the Impaler (especially against The Time Keeper)...

This game has become an obsession.
    :p

Skall, Talbs and macplash like this.
  2. BlueTrin

BlueTrin Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
    Shields are really good for bosses but I dislike using them outside of bosses battles :)

3. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    I've gotten REALLY good at parrying these last few weeks...
    I wound up playing through basically a whole play-through on 0BC with nothing but two shields. It REALLY helped me learn attack patterns

Talbs likes this.
  4. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Online Ad Sales - Pandora
    New York, NY
    I’m still stuck on BC1. Can get to the Ossuary regularly, but get smoked in the Clock Tower.

And the only way I can get there is if I have Turrets that I can move with my head.

Think I need to learn to use shields?

5. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Cool to see the touch controls holding up so well.

I play touch myself but haven’t gotten that far because CoDm sucked me in a fair bit. Still beat the concierge a few times though in no spectacular fashion. And always using touch controls and think they’re fairly decent too.

I use swipe to roll/dodge however. I can’t imagine using the button, and the swipe seems super intuitive to use, but that’s just me.

6. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Hehe. I feel the same about the button. Feels great and can't imagine using the swipe.
    =P

jpgold, it couldn't hurt to try. Though you'll need to dedicate some time. I spent about a week playing with nothing but shields before I got to the point where I could make it to the Castle and then picked up a weapon for the 3 elites to get the keys and then the HOTK battle.

But I will say that even I have noticed a pretty big spike in.... 'gamer skill'.... with myself (I know that doesn't make much sense, who else would notice? But my confidence level is.... .... rather... .... :confused:).
    So if you can stick with it, it could wind up being 'the turning point' for you getting much further into the game.
    But you also might wind up hating it.
    I had the mindset of 'I'm GOING to do this, and it's going to suck a lot at first, but I have GOT to learn all of the enemy's attacks and how I can still beat them when they're all thrown together in different ways', and after MANY beatings, I started to get further and further.
    And if you do decide to, again, 0BC is a great place as there's hardly any elites, it's slower placed, great for learning and the damage is almost nothing compared to later in the game (which, admittedly, I've only REALLY seen in YT plays) or even 1BC.
    Good luck if you do!
    =)

7. BlueTrin

BlueTrin Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
    Shields are really good when you want to finish the game and beat the last boss.

I prefer to use tactics (turrets) because I find it more fun but I had, personally, better success at finishing the game using shields in higher difficulties.

They really shine against bosses.

8. Skall

Skall Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2009
    U guys are impressive! All my respect!

9. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    #309 syntheticvoid, Oct 7, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
    Oh, I REALLY like Tactics play as well. In fact, I think it's my favorite.

But you are correct; shields are not good for every game. Like, right now, I'm trying to just collect as many cells as I can to unlock the next level of the Forge; upgrade items twice between levels. So right now, I'm leaning more towards survival builds than anything else.
    And it will, of course, always boil down to a player's preferred play-style.
    I just thought I'd share the experience I had that week with shields, as it did have a very big impact on my gameplay. <shrug>

I'm not at all saying that staying away from shields is a bad thing. Not at all. Everyone likes to approach this game differently, and that's just another aspect of it that makes it so freak'n great.

=)

I can not imagine the hours that must have gone into balancing every single item in this game.
    No, not everything is balanced the same, if they were, the randomness wouldn't really matter.... but.... the difficulty balance right now is just..... as perfect as it could realistically ever be - and for every type of player.
    It's insane.
    =P

Like.... right now, I'm leaning towards a survival build to get more cells because it suits me, it's helped me explore all of each stage, take a path through the biomes that allows me to get a bunch of cells and hit as many of the 60+ streak doors as I can. But a player playing with a brutality build and rushing through each stage, destroying tons of enemies AND getting the timed doors would also be able to grab a crap load of cells....

But something that can really help with every play style is learning every enemy's attack pattern. It just so happens that, for me, playing with a double shield and survival build for a while helped me to do that.
    :)

BlueTrin and Talbs like this.
  10. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    New York, NY
    Taking some time and forcing myself to get good w the shields.

Also, I have searched every inch of the Graveyard and can’t find the Architects Key. Trying to unlock that door all the way on the right side of the level. Is that where the blueprint for the shovel is?

11. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    It's hidden inside of a wall rune (those blocks that you hit and that give you currency or health items). And.... I'm pretty sure it unlocks the 'Parting Gift' Mutation - that causes a bomb to appear when you kill an enemy with a non-melee attack - and a blueprint that lets you choose specific groups of items from shops, like.... all melee weapons, or all shields, or all ranged weapons, ect... and also 'refresh' the shop for some currency if you don't like the items.

12. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    #312 Talbs, Oct 10, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
    Hey guys. I think I’m experiencing something a little bit (hate to use the word but...) game-breaking in the controls.

I’ve notice that when I tap the jump button, sometimes it will registers as an immediate double jump and so do a bigger jump than I had planned. (You see the dust animation under the feet as well).

Edit: never mind. I just deleted the game, and re-installed. A delete keeps your progress as it turns out but resets your controls. I set my controls back up again and now it’s working fine. Strange but fixed anyways.

13. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    I can't say that I've experienced this.... and I doubt it's device/OS related, but just in case, could you let us know what device you're playing on and what OS you're running?

14. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Thanks for getting back. I just dropped an edit to my post above. Basically I reset my controls and now it’s back to how it should be.
    FWIW, playing on a max, iOS 12.3.1 and its glorious on this screen.
    The artwork in this game is just picturesque at any second which is amazing. So amazing I’ve made my home screen wallpaper a wallpaper of dead Cells I found on the net. Beautiful looking game.
    Damn struggling with those golems of the daily challenge right now. They have to be the worst.

15. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    New York, NY
    I’ve gone to the Graveyard like 5-6 times in a row specifically for the Shovel blueprint. Do I literally just have to keep going back and hope I get lucky?

16. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
  17. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Drop chance of 0.4%
    =/

I've gone through the Graveyard about 25 times in the last week, and haven't gotten it.
    =J

Good luck to both of us, though!

=D

I did just hit 4BC.... freak'n hell, what a challenge....
    =X

18. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    I’ve been to Graveyard only twice according to my stats, which is pretty lame. But it’s because I’m having troubles with Conjonctivius in Insufferable Crypt and since it’s the only way to Graveyard, I’m avoiding this route all the time on BC1. On the other hand, I’m generally kicking ass on Normal difficulty so I guess I could give it a try couple more times.;)

19. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    I hate to keep saying it, but a shield is always a must for me against Conjonctivitius. Those tentacles were such a pain, but being able to parry them, and having either a Bloodthirsty or Punishment shield helped a lot. I also had a lot of luck with a Rampart. That 2.5 second force field helped me when I was getting more comfortable with the tentacles' increase in speed. It also helped to parry quite a few of the poison shots she'd fire off.

It's also good to always try and have items that work together. A shield that inflicts poison with a melee weapon and bomb or trap that does 100%+ damage to a poisoned enemy, ect... I know this has all been touched on previously, but it really can not be overstated how big of an impact having all 4 items (even better when you incorporate an Amulet as well) working together has on the damage output and flat out badassness you'll feel your character have. =P

You can also parry her when she comes at you with her 'laser sight' attack thing.
    And tentacles also fall a little quicker if you detach your head and attack with that as well...
    After going through the long path for the last few months now, I think I might be able to beat her taking less damage than I do against The Concierge.
    I should really get back to playing daily runs.
    =X

20. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    New York, NY
    Finally.... 11 straight trips to the Graveyard and got the Shovel.

Now back to getting my ass kicked.