Universal Dead Cells (by Motion Twin & Playdigious) [TA GoTY 2019]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Aug 27, 2019.

1. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    This is everything I'd want to say, but couldn't put into words. Great post and spot on impressions.

lezrock and andsoitgoes like this.
  2. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    @Pitta So how does it run on iPad Air 1st gen? Is it possible to unlock 60fps even if the device doesn't reach them? (at least not all the time)

I'm willing to sacrifice quality or resolution for smooth performance. Is it possible to do so? (like Darksiders on Switch, you can choose speed over quality)

Anyway, thank you very much for a great post and a peek behind the curtains. I'd discuss every single point from what you wrote, I just need to go to sleep now. It's 1:30 am, so maybe tomorrow.

3. politicsasusual

politicsasusual Active Member

Premium title(s) gang, we in here - can't wait to play tomorrow!

pathogen541 likes this.
  4. Capronissimo71

Capronissimo71 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2011
    Male
    Italy
    Just downloaded!!

5. leokamiya

leokamiya Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2017
    #45 leokamiya, Aug 28, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
    I’m a little disappointed with the performance of some these new releases. There’s a ton of skipping and/or frame pacing issues with Dead Cells, which I just tested, Forgotton Anne, Battle Chasers, Gris and Hyper Light Drifter, just to name a few.

In Dead Cells case, the game doesn’t seem to be able to maintain a constant 60fps and it just starts looking very jerky, I’ll try playing with the 30fps lock because a stable framerate is much better than a varying one.

Devs really should start focusing a bit on performance because playing a smooth game feels completely different, it elevates the experience to a new level. I’m playing on a 12.9 iPad Pro 2018 btw.

Edit: funny enough, it runs much smoother on my aging iPhone 6S Plus

6. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Thanks for this! I'm patiently awaiting this game release in USA. I've never played it before but I'm excited based on all the wonderful feedback. Hearing your 100 hour review experience makes me super excited to play it. I can't wait :)

JasonLL and pathogen541 like this.
  7. pathogen541

pathogen541 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2016
    Y’all people in this forum are good folks. I always enjoy coming here cuz everyone is usually down for a good conversation about these damn games..... anyhow....

its still not out yet.... where do you go to find out when it releases?

Ijipop, JasonLL and L.Lawliet like this.
  8. Hambo12

Hambo12 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    on the internet
    played this for over 50 hours on nintendo switch. a truly amazing game definitely worth the price. very addicting.

L.Lawliet likes this.
  9. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Best compliment I can give to the controls, is that after having played the game a fair bit elsewhere, after a couple of minutes (if that) with this version, muscle-memory simply kicked in and it ‘just worked’. I’ll fiddle with the controls’ size/placement, but that’s personal preference. Floating joysticks are an abomination in all games, so changed that right away too.

Playing this on a 6S. No major performance issues through opening stage.

10. Maven

Maven Member

Dec 2, 2008
    #50 Maven, Aug 28, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
    Try turning on Reduce motion and Limit Frame Rate. (Settings/Accessibility)

Had to do this with Hyper Light Drifter as well.

BTW... Have the same iPad as you. (12.9/1TB/6GB) here

In the US, playing the waiting game for Dead Cells

Update:

Does not help and made it worse on my device.

See post below...

pathogen541 likes this.
  11. davidovich

davidovich Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Is the virtual joystick hidden if you’re using a controller?

12. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Well so far the controls are superb. Enjoying this ! Never played it before. All good so far !!

JasonLL likes this.
  13. pathogen541

Jun 19, 2016
    ITS OUT. Downloading now.

JasonLL likes this.
  14. Maven

Maven Member

Dec 2, 2008

Well...Don’t do the suggested above.

Made it worse to be honest.

I can see what you mean about the performance issues. It just gets progressively worse on iPad. Acts like a throttling issue, but the device is not overly hot. Perhaps its a memory leak issue....

15. pathogen541

Jun 19, 2016
    It is as glorious as I could’ve hoped. Controls: spot on. Graphics: amazing. Frame Rate: 60fpsftw. It’s gonna take a lil bit to get used to the flow of things but god damn.... time to kill some shit.

Ijipop and JasonLL like this.
  16. davidovich

davidovich Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Wow! I'm really impressed with this game. It's totally legit. 60fps, and excellent controls (using DS4 with ios13). I own it on the Switch and it's the exact same in terms of button configuration and gameplay. I can't believe I'm playing this on my phone. I was expecting to have something major to gripe about honestly, because of my past experiences with ports, but I can't find anything that stands out. A small very minor fix I'll be writing to the developer about is the hiding/dimming of the status bar at the bottom of the screen, but that's it. I'm heading out for a trip soon and I'll be playing this the whole time on my flight. So pleased with my purchase.

JasonLL likes this.
  17. JasonLL

JasonLL Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2014
    Male
    Wow!...First time playing and I haven’t been blown away by an action platformer like this since the original release of Castlevania: SotN and this is coming from someone who isn’t the biggest fan of touch controls.

18. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Online Ad Sales - Pandora
    New York, NY
    Wow. Wow. Wow. No words as to how awesome this is. Just getting started and trying to figure everything out, but this is absolutely amazing.

JasonLL likes this.
  19. JasonLL

JasonLL Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2014
    Male
    Rating is now officially “Wow” out of 10 :D

davidovich likes this.
  20. 40teeth

40teeth Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    So, everyone is happy with the touch controls?
    I was waiting on the fence for this as I don't intend to play with a controller.