Universal Dead by Death: Dungeon Quest (by Wei Shi)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Feb 22, 2017.

1. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    I'm really digging this game to the max!! Loving the controls, sound, and music! To me it's got that Castlevania vibe (if you wanna compare it to something) and feels really smooth and polished! Didn't take long to hook me, either! The first level was so short, but in the second level, I felt an incredible exciting feeling and I knew I was playing something special! It felt so familiar, but different. Looks like I'm gonna be spending a bunch of time with this one! #

2. w3ishi

w3ishi Active Member

Jan 20, 2016
    Aha, Thanks! \m/ \m/ :D:D:D

3. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    Thanks for the explanation.
    Is it a problem you can fix or must I play only with the Dpad if I use my controller?
    Also have you considered giving us some options to maybe repositioning the existing touch screen controls.

I still like the game a lot anyway. #

4. w3ishi

w3ishi Active Member

Jan 20, 2016
    I'm collecting feedbacks and then decide what to do next. I'm also working on a VR game project now, so the updates of this one may a little bit slowly. I feel honored you guys like the game! Really thanks you guys:D;)

5. Jetjet

Jetjet Well-Known Member

May 14, 2010
    How long is the game ?
    Is it really a game using castlevania or metroid systems ?

6. OrangutanKungfu

OrangutanKungfu Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Media
    UK
    It's stage-based, so it's not a gated-exploration Metroidvania in that sense. However, it has an old-school Castlevania 2D platformer feel (pre-Symphony of the Night, so no RPG elements) which is reflected in its medieval gothic presentation.

As for how long it is, I've barely started the game, but from the description it's got 32 levels, which get progressively bigger, each with various secrets to find. It's pretty cool.

7. Jetjet

Jetjet Well-Known Member

May 14, 2010
    Sounds very good. Thanks for your answer

8. w3ishi

w3ishi Active Member

Jan 20, 2016
    Thanks OrangutanKungfu! I have seen your rating and comment on App Store. Gothic is my favorite:D In my opinion stage one is only for training, really game begin from stage two;)

9. onyx77

onyx77 Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2010
    First, do yourself a favor and grab this one quick. Loving it. I've been playing for a while and keep coming back every few hours for more. I am very impressed with the controls and swiping left or right to change gun is awesome and works fantastically. I really need to give props on level design and use of the different gun uses. At first I thought it was purely an upgrade to better gun game scenario but after playing more I realized that certain guns work better in different scenarios and being able to switch quickly was very helpful and seamless. Further and at least for me the levels seem to be designed progressively to where once you have played and died and played more you should have enough money to get a new gun right about when you need it in the level progression. I also like that you can't purchase more coins to get the guns. This keeps me coming back to grind every so often.

8/10 would die died again.

10. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Die by Died

[​IMG]

Has been nominated for the TouchArcade Forums'
    Game of the Week

VOTE HERE!

11. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    #51 Qwertz555, Feb 25, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
    Beat the final boss, and while i will forget all the (mediocre) four bosses very quick, the game itself pulled me in, totally.
    Super atmosphere, some nice and tricky timed platforming, strategical usefull (and important) weapons, finding upgrade rings (for crit damage and health) and all is done with top-notch controls. FUN!

I really hope you'll working on another platformer, so i'll provide you with some of my thoughts...

- Way more different enemies with more intelligence and/or behaviour
    - More sfx sounds in generell (upcoming spikes, moving blades...)
    - Shooting through walls? Not great, imho
    - Platforms blend in with the background too much (some may like it, i don't)
    - quitting a level should take me back to the current stage/world with a highlighted level indicator. Now i know where i am/was. Right now it takes me back to the menu screen.
    - always a plus is a customization option for all the buttons. Leave it up to the player how they wanna play your game on all those different devices.
    - Icon and name of the (next) game. Take some help (with all my respect) with the translation and design.

All in all, this was a rocksolid 4/5 star platformer and it took me maybe around 10+ hours to almost complete/find all powerups (6 rings missing, health 95%, crit 37%).

12. w3ishi

w3ishi Active Member

Jan 20, 2016
    Thanks! I'm glad you can spent 10+ hours on my game and like it. And I'm also glad to receive your good advices and ideas. They are very useful to me. I will still continue to work and learn more English:) And I am very happy and lucky to meet you guys here.

13. Jetjet

Jetjet Well-Known Member

May 14, 2010
    Whouah ! Cool Gem ! Another good die and retry ! The perfect little Bloodborne platformer on ios !

14. Devok

Devok Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2013
    Not a huge fan of this animation not the it artwork but flash animation ain't my thing. Wish it was still looking like old castlevania animation.

15. zigazi

zigazi Member

Jun 24, 2016
    Great game! 11+ hours

16. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    That is some good advise

17. metalwastebasket

metalwastebasket Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2017
    "Killed by Death" would be an even better option (thanks Carter!), but that might be stepping on Motorhead's toes. ;)

18. w3ishi

w3ishi Active Member

Jan 20, 2016
    MFi analog stick has been adjusted waiting apple approve:D

19. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    Patch is available and very happy to report that the analog stick problem is fixed!
    Thanks a bunch, the game now plays beautifully.
    I love the game and I normally dont fancy platform games much, but this game is something special.

20. justbe333

justbe333 Member

Mar 13, 2014
    This game looks fluid smooth and fun… But it also reminds me of the nightmare on Elm Street game on Nintendo… None of these enemies look appropriate in anyway to anything that anyone could take seriously... oh wait my bad, should take seriously.
    I'm in the graphics look smooth enough in the frame rate seems consistent… I'm sure it's fine, but it doesn't seem to be anything but mine less platforming shooting