Universal Dead by Death: Dungeon Quest (by Wei Shi)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Repulsa

Repulsa Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2015
    Ok this is SUCH an improvement over Evil Trek, the controls are very good and this is the closest to Castlevania I have yet to play on the App Store , good job :D

2. inthismoment07

inthismoment07 Active Member

Aug 12, 2014
    Agree about the controls. Huge improvement. Really fun game and definitely worth a buck. I really like the look of the game and the music and sound effects as well.

3. MobileOnTapYT

MobileOnTapYT Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2017
    I know its probbaly just me being terrible, but where is the key on stage 1-2? I really can't find it.

4. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    Starting with a tip: Shoot/collect everything you can. You'll need it, lol.

Oh boy, this gets hard...phew.
    Around stage 2, level 4 (i'm on 6 now), the importance of the different weapons come into strategical play. Everything gets more narrow but unfortunately no more different enemies to be seen atm, though some changed their behaviour a bit. Also, some moving/disappearing platform blend into the background. I had to crank up the brightness quite a bit. Maybe it's only my old eyes ;)

I have a request though, please.
    In the heat of the action, unintendedly i hit the freeze button. Very often, actually. I'd really like to put this button higher up, and to the right. Either with a button(s) customization option, or with 2-4 pre-coded layouts. Possible? And soon?

Again, the controls hold up excellently and as squarezero already mentioned, the physics are also pretty decent.
    Only imho, i think they're way better than in some other lately released platformers.

5. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    Right up here...
    shoot the torch

Attached Files:

6. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Learned that pretty quick -- you have to shoot all the blue torches.

7. MobileOnTapYT

MobileOnTapYT Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2017
    Thank you. That allowed me to finally complete the level.

8. chief78

chief78 Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2012
    Solid game, controls are definitely well done. Looking forward to getting deeper into this ####

9. w3ishi

w3ishi Active Member

Jan 20, 2016
    #29 w3ishi, Feb 22, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
    Thanks Qwertz555, In my opinion stage 2 is actually the beginning of the game:)

10. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    #30 stubbieoz, Feb 22, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
    This should be an instant buy for any platform gamer or even any gamer for that matter.

I am playing on an iPad Pro 12.9" and the UI and all onscreen elements seem fine for its resolution (which can be a problem with quite a few new games released).
    The touch controls are very good and responsive with a small caveat. You cannot adjust the transparency and they are a bit hard to see. You also are unable to adjust their size and location.

Also while the game supports MFI controllers I am finding using the analog stick for movement sometimes unresponsive on my Steel Series Nimbus. This is a serious issue for a game like this. Using the Dpad instead works fine but it is not my preferred control mode.

Graphics are crisp and clear and the sound effects are good.
    Gameplay is excellent and I normally steer clear of platform games.
    A premium game at an excellent price.
    Support the dev for that.

11. w3ishi

w3ishi Active Member

Jan 20, 2016
    #31 w3ishi, Feb 23, 2017
    Hi, stubbieoz, Thanks for your feedback.
    I have known the problem. Analog stick can't work well with (down or up)+(left or right). Left or right button can work well.

12. w3ishi

w3ishi Active Member

Jan 20, 2016
    Hi inthismoment07,
    Long time no see. I am very glad that you like the game.:D

13. w3ishi

w3ishi Active Member

Jan 20, 2016
    Thanks chief78! I hope you like the game;):D

14. shfrost

shfrost Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2010
    Artist
    Wooded area
    #34 shfrost, Feb 23, 2017
    Superb so far!

Just started playing. Long-time, jaded platform gamer here, checking this out on an iPad Pro 12". While I've only played through the first couple of levels, I wanted to add my thumbs up for gameplay, graphics and controls. Very pleased so far and the Steel Nimbus controller is working just fine. I saw that someone else had problems along those lines, and perhaps they will rear their ugly head somewhere down the line, but for now it's working smooth as silk. Of course, it's way too early for me to give a definitive review, but I'm pretty certain this one's a hit. Good retro feel too. Looking forward to getting back to it.

(Edited to say... "Die by Died????" I'll chalk it up to translation for now, lol.)

15. senkoujin

senkoujin Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2013
    Nice game!

Just chiming in to say that I purchased this game, and I really like it! I play on iPad, so it's not as comfortable to play as I'd like. If the developer could add the option to move the control buttons, it would be perfect. :)

16. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    Hummm, normally I would have said, okay it must be my controller causing the intermittent unresponsive analog control stick, but it is working fine in my other games.

So I dunno?!#

17. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Just chiming in. Super solid game that's in need of the two stupidest things:

1) That app icon doesn't do the game's killer pixel art justice.
    2) w3ishi, how much money do I have to give you to reconsider renaming the game? :p Not that I mind it in its current state, but as ImJPaul said above, "Dead by Death" is a much, much cooler (and grammatically correct) name. :p It also retains the meaning of the current title. ;)

18. OrangutanKungfu

OrangutanKungfu Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Media
    UK
    I like this quite a bit. And seriously, 24Mb?!! That makes it the fourth smallest game currently on my phone, after 868-HACK, Mage Gauntlet and Pixel Craft.

Finding some of the jump shots for blue torches a bit maddening but, as others have said, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the controls or the physics. This is actually pretty darned good.

19. w3ishi

w3ishi Active Member

Jan 20, 2016
    I think it's my mistake. Analog stick have to push fully left or right, when mix up or down event may cause the problem. DPad on controller are only four direction buttons like (+), so when you press one button it is fully press. So it can works well.
    I am sorry for this:p:rolleyes:

20. w3ishi

w3ishi Active Member

Jan 20, 2016
    Wow,Thanks! I thinks you are a big fan of FC and Arcade Games:D