Universal Daytona Rush (by Invictus)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Feb 11, 2015.

1. MasonHurst

MasonHurst Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2013
    I gotta agree about it being "soulless". It's nothing more than a simple lane changer and a limited one at that.
    Sure it takes some twitch abilities to get far but so what? Looks ok but for me it's a yawn fest. It strikes me as yet another mobile title that suffers from trying to survive on one tiny game mechanic.

Still if it makes some people happy that's a good thing. I don't want to be a total downer here...

2. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    This game is just perfect the way it is, let us hope it doesn't become ruined by needless power ups and IAPS. I can dream rite. 'Tht's the sound of inevitably, Mr Anderson.' Lololol

3. russiaone

russiaone Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Pimp
    San Francisco

This and Ramboat are my go-to titles.

I absolutely love just zoning out while playing.

I'm utterly dumbfounded, though, by the lack of anything monetized.

The devs must be rich already.:D

4. Invictus_Games

Invictus_Games Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Mar 2, 2012
    Game development
    Hungary
    on tutorials

Thanks both for the praise and critics as well. Really! :)

There's no tutorial for the reason someone pointed out.
    I feel slowed down by tutorials on simple mechanics. Pick the game up, enjoy that there are no blocking tutorial pop-ups and get situated.
    Play testing showed that for many just avoiding collisions is hard first. (they do play endless runners).
    That's why the first lap in Tier 1 is really easy.
    Missions and hints help the player to understand the 'deeper' mechanics.
    Though you need to read for that!
    My assumption is non-readers correlate well with those who do not need anything beyond pure lane-changing and fuelling.

There's one thing actually the we realised is missing, displaying "tap or swipe" at start and then highlight the word that corresponds to the detected control once the first gesture is analysed.

5. amusing Grace

amusing Grace Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Music, Muse, Magick
    Berlin, Germany
    What did insult you? Asking what lap you reached? I was curious, how far you've got.
    Besides, these days power ups in endless games are usually unlockable and upgradeable with ingame currencies. Which in turn can be aquired with real money, too.

6. Devok

Devok Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2013
    I bet the devs are making a tone of money.

7. Invictus_Games

Patreon Indie

Mar 2, 2012
    Game development
    Hungary
    Status report

Hey I wanted to let you know that the update fixing the Game Center issues and changing the game from free to freemium is at Apple waiting for review since yesterday.
    Monetization method is video ads that double race earnings and higher prices.
    Update is out as soon as Apple accepts it until that happens keep playing and get as much cars as you can at the current low prices that were originally calculated for a paid release! :)

8. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    Invictus Games: I downloaded the game yesterday even though I hate endless runner genre. But I love Nascar, I just wanted to try it and I had a lot of fun with it. And by a lot I mean A LOT. In matter of fact I've got already all the cars fully upgraded, in Tier 5 I was on the 3rd place in the worlds leaderboards (the last time I checked) for both yards and money. The thing is, there's nothing much to do right now for me. I'm not interested in improving my score over and over again, but if there are new cars and maybe tracks to unlock and collect, I'd be more than interested to play more. So, are you planning to bring any new content? And if so, is there an ETA on that? Thanks for the great game (which in case of new content I'll gladly support if there's any non-consumable IAPs) and for the answers in advance as well.

9. Invictus_Games

Patreon Indie

Mar 2, 2012
    Game development
    Hungary
    Wow. :cool: I mean did we get the balance right if you could rush through all 5 tiers in a day? (No need to answer, checked your position on leaderboards and really not many reached that far out of the 40000 who downloaded yesterday.)

Okay, so we what if we add like 5 new vehicles.. that would be another day of intense fun for you before loosing interest again. Can you hint how can we please to the likes of you for a longer term? :)

10. Invictus_Games

Patreon Indie

Mar 2, 2012
    Game development
    Hungary
    Update status just changed to In Review!

11. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    #71 macplash, Feb 13, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
    Sarcasm aside, a full day of intense fun is much more than you'd expect or actually really getting these days from majority of premium titles for iOS. You're able to finish most of them in matter of hours, even minutes sometimes. Now, I admit I can't help with a longer term plan, but it's because I'm not looking for anything like that. As I said, I'm not a fan of endless runners and improving my score continuously isn't motivating enough to stick with one title for a long time. The truth is, no matter what you'll come up with, every player eventually reach the point of loosing the interest, that's just a fact. I wouldn't bother myself to continue with this discussion if your game wasn't really good. And a full day of intense fun proves the game's great. I'm confident to say that every player who's eventually bored with the game will come back the moment there's new update released. I would. That's why I like e.g. Crossy Road. There's always a few new characters to get, there are updates with new characters to any possible occasion you can think of, and that's what's keeping the players interested. So speaking for myself, the reason I rushed into this game and "finished" it in a day was just because of the initial state of fascination. But it still remains and I still want more. That's a good thing, right? There's no reason to rush through it again, I'd probably savour the additional content more, but there's a need of some for sure, that's my point. If you're turning to freemium I'm willing to support you with purchasing IAP to get rid of ads if that's a plan. But I still believe the game needs more content. Increasing the player's level doesn't bring anything, correct? I'm level 30 and I see no difference compared to level 1. With every paint unlocked and every car upgraded to full potential there's nothing else to do. I understand it's Daytona, so more tracks ain't an option, but what about bringing the weather? Additional challenges are imho useless because accomplishing them just increases the level stats which doesn't do anything (I might be wrong, you have to confirm or refute) and after a short time they're just the same over and over. So yeah, bringing new cars would be great, new paints as well, game center achievements maybe? Just anything to reach for, to collect. Is that a bad thing? How many 3D artists do you have? I'll gladly help with the cars if you want (seriously), just keep the game active, bring new content, I'm sure that'd be enough. Yeah, I guess that's all I wanted to say;) Keep up the good work guys!
    Luckily there are no guns on your screenshots or game's icon, so approving shouldn't be a problem then :) Fingers crossed!

12. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    I'm really enjoying this game as an entertaining diversion. I own enough games that require some mental gymnastics, but this game is a well-made twitch fest with missions to chase after that are really good. I appreciate the initial free price point to help spread the word. I may spring some cash if permanent IAP purchases will be made available in the future. Keep up the great work!

13. Sexy Pirate

Sexy Pirate Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2014
    Call centre / Parent
    Newcastle England
    Updating now :D

14. Invictus_Games

Patreon Indie

Mar 2, 2012
    Game development
    Hungary
    Yep, update is accepted and out!
    Those affected by the GC crash issue - could you confirm Daytona works fine with GC now?
    How you like the new intro cameras?

15. Invictus_Games

Patreon Indie

Mar 2, 2012
    Game development
    Hungary
    Thanks for the suggestions! We are very happy right now, extremely exhausted, but hey a weekend is coming. :) Keep throwing us ideas, influence us, we are aware that updates are crucial, so they'll eventually come.

16. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    #76 ColeDaddy, Feb 13, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
    Recommendation: the wrenches are a bit hard to see from a distance. Can you increase their visibility perhaps by including a yellow-hued halo around it?

17. chief78

chief78 Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2012
    Been reading and was a little disappointed at the people against this awesome title. Free, no timers, Devs who listen.....I mean come on people, what else could you possible ask for! :) I'd like to see daily challenges or tournies that could tie into getting exclusive skins for the vehicles, or outright new vehicles. This game has a lot going for it, and if you guys are looking for ideas, that's my 2 cents ;)

18. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    #78 H4nd0fg0d, Feb 14, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
    Great game, but sadly disappointed that I seemingly updated only to raise all the in game prices. Oh well, I'm a just gonna delete and re download the older version. If for no other reason than I can. Lol

19. Snooptalian

Snooptalian Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Glad I saw this, I'm gonna get all the cars at half price before I update this...

20. JCman7

JCman7 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Mechanical Engineering
    NY
    Not working good for me I'm able to to get much further though, the Game Center banner pop up now finishes popping up but about a minute after the game freezes and crashes :(