Universal Daytona Rush (by Invictus)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Feb 11, 2015.

1. jayzilla87

jayzilla87 Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2014
    It's fun but once my mind realized it's just an endless runner with another theme it got a little bit less fun. I'm wondering if I'll keep playing this. 30mins in the game btw

2. JCman7

JCman7 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Mechanical Engineering
    NY
    No worries! Thanks for working hard to fix it, looking forward to the update!

3. Rothgarr

Rothgarr Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2010
    * sigh *

All I wanted to hear was an asian guy singing "DAYTONNNNAAAAAA!!!!!" with all his heart and soul.

4. Sexy Pirate

Sexy Pirate Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2014
    Call centre / Parent
    Newcastle England
    Just sing it out loud yourself :D or even in your head. I know where your coming from though I'd love an old school graphics mode so it looked like the arcades. ;)

5. chief78

chief78 Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2012
    Loving this, no timers....am I dreaming? Lol

6. Mookmonster

Mookmonster Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    I cant eeven find the iap. No monetization to speak of yet. I guess they will add later, but curious decisions by devs. I hope they dont go outta business.

7. JCman7

JCman7 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Mechanical Engineering
    NY
    They were going to make it paid for the first week then drop it to free and add IAP and give in game money to those that bought it. But they chose the better route I think!

8. fabianb

fabianb Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    There is some room to improve the FPS. Seems a little sluggish, if that's a word.

9. orangecan

orangecan Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    Same here unfortunately. I mean it's fun for an hour or so but there doesn't seem to be much variety to it so far

10. imdakine1

imdakine1 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    One of the easiest single handed game I've played! Hoping no iap ruin the experience. A bit confused on their pricing model but I initially thought they said it is free for a limited time and will increase to their price with no IAP... So possibly its a bit of a bonus being free for the first few days?

11. Dsmgsx916

Dsmgsx916 Member

Oct 8, 2011
    Stock Broker
    Sacramento,CA
    #51 Dsmgsx916, Feb 12, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
    Really?

I'm honestly not sure why everyone is "oohing" and "ahhing" over this game so much. Yes, it's aesthetically pleasing, but once the shiny graphics wear off, there's absolutely NOTHING to see here. The controls are far more limited than most "endless runners," since you're in a car it would make no sense to have a jump or roll, but being limited to just left and right make this game a total snooze-fest. Play the game for about 15 minutes and you've essentially seen all there is to see here.

All is not lost, there's a decent enough foundation here to make a proper game of, but it really needs some work. First off, add a tutorial or at least a help menu with descriptions of the game mechanics. Some people might not realize that you get more coins from near misses, that gas is consumed slower when drafting, and that you can knock out "drunken cars" for coins without a damage penalty. Second, add other types of tracks besides the Daytona oval. I realize the name of the game hints at oval track racing, but if you're going to add open-wheel cars to a Nascar inspired game, you might as well add more track variety just for visual variety. Add in power ups, for the love of God, anything to make the gameplay more interesting! Items you can pick up and hold then use with the push of a button. Examples: a turbo power up (handy for getting to the refuel station faster if you're almost out), a "Mega-Horn" or something that clears the cars in the lane in front of you for a set distance, and auto-repair, and auto-fill-up, etc. There's any number of things that could be added to give the game more depth beyond the currently super-advanced system of "switch left" and "switch right."

Seriously, I'm sorry to come off as sounding harsh, but I'm just completely shocked that people are praising this game as it sits now. Developers, I'm not trying to just stand here and piss in your Cheerios for the hell of it, I'm trying to motivate you and offer ideas on how to make this game more fun! You have a fine enough base to build from, but it just seems totally unfinished and lifeless to me. If you guys can pull off great games like 4x4 Jam and Dustoff, I know you can make this one better!

P.S. Do something about the frame rate please. It doesn't run too terribly bad, but considering it's not pushing 60fps on my iPhone 6+ or my iPad Air 2, you guys have some work to do, the graphics are far from hardware breaking.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, sometimes if I swap out of the game to another app and back, the controls are opposite when I go back into the game... left becomes right, right becomes left.

12. Samurix16

Samurix16 Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2013
    Male
    USA
    Game won't work.

13. Sexy Pirate

Sexy Pirate Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2014
    Call centre / Parent
    Newcastle England
    Woah no please no power ups I love the fact it's just racing. I guess differnt tracks could be nice.

14. Dsmgsx916

Dsmgsx916 Member

Oct 8, 2011
    Stock Broker
    Sacramento,CA
    It's already not just racing, seeing as how you can pick up a repair pack in the middle of the track.

15. dnk

dnk Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Tutorial? Devs please stop hand-holding players. I fall in love with this game straight away as I don't have to go through a usually painful hand-holding tutorial so I understand a few things I can understand easily later on in the game. That's how game used to do as well, you learn as you go along (from mission list for example, that's how I learnt a few things). "Tips" while the loading the game is perfectly fine, a help menu is great too, but please no tutorial! That's an actual snooze fest.

I agree powerups could be added later in the game, but nothing over the top like rocket launcher or missile as that won't fit the game. Maybe something like temporary car-switch (won't it be cool if you're suddenly driving a random car?) or as he said, auto-repair, Mega-horn, etc.

Seeing this is a first version, I'm guessing more tracks will be added depending on the reception of the game?

Graphics… yes, it could be better. The art direction is pretty but it's far from the best-looking graphics iPad Air 2 or iPhone 6 can offer. It should have 60fps on iPhone 6 with this kind of graphics. There's no realtime shadow / reflection, minimal particle effects / weather too. Yes there are heaps of car on the screen at the same time but some cars still pop up in the distance too (change colour from yellow to blue in most cases). I've seen better graphics + performance on my iPhone 6. Hope you guys add performance tweaks in an update.

16. amusing Grace

amusing Grace Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Music, Muse, Magick
    Berlin, Germany
    +1

What is the highest lap you reached?

Maybe this one isn´t for you if you need more complex game mechanics. There are plenty of swipefest, power-up leveling endless runners on the market. Besides, more power-ups (probably with leveling and stuff) can easily tarnish a leaderboard, when big-spenders just buy their way up.

The minimal approach here is perfect to zone-out, imo.
    A hard mode for each tier starting like lap five in original mode is the only thing i would appreciate as a timely update.

17. hvianna

hvianna Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2012
    Male
    IT Analyst / Webmaster
    Brazil
    Any plans to add iCloud support for syncing progress between devices?

18. iago

iago Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Long Island, New York
    Doesn't work

Can't get past Game Center on opening screen. I'm not logging out every time I want to run a game. Aren't these beta tested? Maybe it's a good game - too bad I can't play it to find out.

19. DarkMarenghi

DarkMarenghi Member

Jan 19, 2015
    I played this game so much I'm already at the F1 car. Totally skipped over two cars just for that one. This game is fun and it's easy to play so it's good to mess around with. If I want something more in-depth I'd go with Real Racing or something. This game is good as it sits and it can only get better with updates.

20. Dsmgsx916

Dsmgsx916 Member

Oct 8, 2011
    Stock Broker
    Sacramento,CA
    Not sure about the lap number, but I had reached 46k yards and was in the top 10 a few hours ago (that's probably changed by now) on tier 3, so how about you try not to be insulting. My point is that the game is actually too easy as is, I only played for 30 minutes and made it to tier 3 and made the leaderboards. I'm not suggesting purchased power ups, I'm suggesting in game pickups to make things more interesting is all, it's boring and soulless as it is now.