iPad Days of Thunder AI Needs Fixing

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by rpb1975, Feb 17, 2009.

?

Is Days of Thunder AI too Aggressive?

1. Yes, it is WAY too aggressive

18 vote(s)
    51.4%
  2. It does need to be tweaked, but it is OK

11 vote(s)
    31.4%
  3. I love the game, and I don't think it needs an update

6 vote(s)
    17.1%
  1. rpb1975

rpb1975 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    IT Consultant
    Texas
    I know there is already a Days of Thunder thread, but I wanted to get an opinion in this one.

Do you think Days of Thunder AI is too aggressive?

I love the game, but I can't stand that EVERY car wants to smash you 8 to 10 times. Then when you finally pass them, they speed up and start smashing you again. I hope the dev is still on this forum because I looked over the reviews, and I most people (even those who like the game) complain that the AI is too aggressive. I deleted this game after a few days, and it is my first 1 star review. Maybe I am the only one, but I have to know if anyone else if frustrated by this game.

There....I vented :eek:

2. pablo19

pablo19 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2008
    AFter the fist couple of circuits it does get harder, and can be pretty frustrating. BUt it was well worth the 99 cents

3. QuickWit

QuickWit Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2008
    Video Writer, Director, Producer
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    A agree that the game is great, and that it's too aggressive. I'm hoping that they pull this back a bit in upcoming updates. It wouldn't be so bad if it was just your rival car that did it to you, but EVERY CAR?! That's a bit much.

Still I like the game a lot.

Bob

4. Hippieman

Hippieman Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Senior Producer, Designer
    San Francisco
    We not only here, but we are listening.

An update to Days is in the works. I cannot guarantee that we will make the changes you want. But we are listening and want to make the game better.

We appreciate all feedback. Don't you feel 1 star is a bit harsh?

5. rpb1975

Feb 5, 2009
    IT Consultant
    Texas
    1 Star is probably a bit harsh.... If the update tones down the aggressiveness to certain cars, I will up it to 5. For now, I will up it to 3. I really put one star because I expected a 5 star app.

I just think the controls are awesome, and it would be a lot of fun if you could maneuver around some opponents and fight with others (mainly your rival and a couple other cars). That way you would feel more like it is an actual race rather than a deathmatch.

I do apologize for the harshness. As I said, I was venting. I played the game for a while and felt like trowing it out the window....but I used words instead.

Thank you for keeping active in the forums!

6. dexx0008

dexx0008 Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2008
    i like the game quite a bit and think it only needs a bit of polish.

I have completed all circuits in first, i'm trying to unlock 3 cars yet. I was amazed at how fast cars come at you but you get get used to it.

I do wish you could alter the laps a bit, i like the defaults, but would be fun to have the ability to select a few different intervals for the # of laps for races, or a different race mode that would allow you to do that. When i got to the endurance circuit i was expecting a much longer race, not just more races. I thought I might have to keep my eye on the number of pits, etc. that said the game play is definately fun.

Perhaps it needs an arcade mode vs season mode or something, leave the game aggressive like it is for arcade mode, and have a season mode where it is a bit less agressive and earn points throughout the season or something, focus more on smooth driving/avoiding the pits and really working the draft.

multiplayer would be great.

don't get me long it is a great game and waste too many hours playing, just a few thoughts.

only problem i have is after i get a call, and resume my race, the app quits. otherwise it's been solid.

7. rpb1975

Feb 5, 2009
    IT Consultant
    Texas
    Thanks for the input...it seems that I am not the only one who thinks an update is much needed! I will keep my eyes open.

8. Adr3naLine

Adr3naLine Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2009
    No offense to the dev, but after the easy circuit the game was deleted as well. I realize you guys were going for a different take on racing and wanted to stay true to the movie, but I found the AI to detract from the gameplay. Even when I wouldn't touch them, they race like animals. The auto steering also takes away from the feel that you're actually racing. Simply an option to turn it off would be nice.
    Otherwise, this game is very good for the price.

9. pante

pante Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    somewhere
    #9 pante, Feb 17, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2009
    i thinks days of thunder are great. it's maybe the first game that i don't mind if it's too hard (it is...). i would like to see an option of choosing difficulty level though.

10. iKoda

iKoda Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Student
    They should make some cars don't ram you and the rest do. Cause with out the AI ramming you, the game is boring.

11. rpb1975

Feb 5, 2009
    IT Consultant
    Texas
    100% agreed. That is why EVERY is all caps in my first post. I think that your rival should smash you a lot, but when you get ganged up on by 5 or 6 cars at once....where is the fun???

12. Hello

Hello Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    California;
    Is it just me or are all the races the same track with just diffferent backgrounds? I know it's supposed to be stock car racing, but it just seems repetitive.

13. howiedeano

howiedeano Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2008
    AI much too aggressive

I almost really like this game, it's so close to being a great fun racer it hurts. Currently for me though, after the first few races it just gets crazy when you try and overtake, to the point I don't even try overtaking. I think if your kamikaze opponents cars take more than a certain percentage of damage, they should try and avoid you rather than keep bashing into your car till they explode! This at least would balance the gameplay out a little and make it a bit more strategic.

I'm tired of waiting behind everyone till the last lap and then trying to pinball my way to the front, to the extent I've stopped playing the game till it's updated...

14. aleceiffel

aleceiffel Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2009
    art supply buyer/artist
    Oregon
    if you just build up your hammer and use it often the game is really too easy to play...whether the cars smash you or not, i finished no problem...i think its kind of funny all the smashing...if it kept me from winning, that'd be another story...i think it needs to be harder!

15. raoupp

raoupp Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2008
    This game doesn't need much fixing actually. It's really fun as it is. I've got one advice for the complaining guys... It's all about strategy (pit stoping, positioning of your car, use of the boost at the right time etc.)
    I think most of the posters above keep forgeting this is just not another boring racing game, but arcade destruction at its best.

16. case

case Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2008
    Interaction Designer
    Michigan
    the aggressive ai is my favorite part of this game. makes me wish they would port carmageddon to the iphone.

17. Oliver

Oliver Well-Known Member

I also removed the game after a few hours of playing, because the other cars just keep crashing into me, even when I'm not touching them. I rated it with three stars, but I must say, that I looked forward to a stock car racing game like Nascar racing and not to a destruction derby game (yes, I know, there's this one destruction derby scene you mentioned in the movie, but come on, was Days of Thunder about destruction derby?...).

With less aggressive drivers, I might come back. This means:

- No car is crashing into yourself 8 times in a row - this just does not work, from a physics point of view. A car cannot drive a race and then crash into another car 8 times in a row.
    - When a car is out, it's out. This includes myself.
    - When I leave a car behind me, it's ridiculous, that immediately, this car leaves ME behind and tries to kill me.
    - I can't stand other drivers which are nearly completely broken and still crash into me - and then explode. The AI is just dumb.

18. rpb1975

Feb 5, 2009
    IT Consultant
    Texas
    Any word on an update from the dev?

By the way, I tried playing again, and there were cards that moved from one side of the track to the other just to hit me even though it moved them back to last place. The AI literally moved the car sideways to hit me. WFT?

....and deleted again. When will I learn?