Universal Dawncaster: Deckbuilding RPG (by Rick van der Wal)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by JackDerp, Mar 20, 2021.

1. pathogen541

pathogen541 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2016
    I realllllly dig it. I’ve been on a major deck builder kick as of late, and this is my jam. I do agree with the others that some the negative dot cards are handled weird (poison applied even when the physical damage is blocked) but all in all, it’s a great addition to my stable of deck builders.

As others have stated, the typos are a little abrasive but nothing that really derails the experience. I do wish there were a bit more variety in animations when attacking, applying buffs/debuffs, when poison procs, etc. again tho, excellent stuff. Look forward to more to come.

My one question is this, if a single play through takes 10 or so hours, what’s the draw in repeated runs? These types of games have always seemed better suited to shorter runs, in the 1-2 hour range, but usually offset the short play time with difficulty/lots of unlocks. What’s the draw for repeated play throughs here.

2. andreadeda

andreadeda Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2013
    My play through didn't take 10 hours, more like 1 to 2 to end the game; there is some text you can skip as well on second play through but honestly don't see how it would take 10 hours to finish the game.

3. AltsKev

AltsKev Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2016
    Male
    Developer
    what is the replayability ?

pathogen541 likes this.
  4. NonSoft

NonSoft Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2010
    I think the comment was that it typically takes 10 hours of total runtime (ie cumulative time of all runs) to beat the game, not one run that takes 10 hours.

5. pathogen541

Jun 19, 2016
    the devs stated the following -

unless I’m interpreting this wrong, the dev themself is stating the average time to a completed run was about 10 hours during beta testing.... regardless of the time it takes to complete a run, I’d still be interested to know what the draw is to doing multiple runs. Meteorfall had difficulty levels and unlocks that kept me coming back, slay the spire has a MULTITUDE of unlocks/additional difficulty levels that keep you coming back, NotFM has the same, so I’m looking to see what’s on offer here as well. Love the game :)

AltsKev likes this.
  6. Norf

Norf Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2020
    Oh, man. Love Discworld. Have you read The Last Hero? Such beautiful art of such charming people. Cohen > Conan any day.

Anyway...

Bugs:
    - Killer Instinct does not interact with Searing Ray. My Seeker wants their combo!

Language issues:
    - Misplaced modifier in Pocket Aces. Move the word "random" in front of "cards" instead of "copies." The copies are not random, the cards selected to copy are.
    - Rogue class description does not need apostrophe in word "combo's."
    - Dantelion conversation issues. a. Should be "This never ceases" not "seizes." (and quite possibly should be "That never ceases" if it refers to the immediately preceding violent spoilery event rather than the general situation.) b. Character response "Why are you doing this" needs a "?" afterwards to match other choices having punctuation at end.
    - The Voices conversation issues. Should be "nuisance" not "nuacance."
    - Slide where bandit leader defeated a. needs a space between "each" and "other" b. "Soldiers" does not need to be capitalized.
    - I was incorrect above - the boar is described as "agry", alas, not "argy", and should be "angry."

7. andreadeda

Mar 6, 2013
    I didn't see anyhting unlocking after i beat the game the first time, unless i'm mistaken it doesn't seem to be unlockables.

I think the replayability is trying to beat the game with a different deck but i'll admit after winning with the freeze mage i haven't started a new game yet as i did loose some motivation (and my game time is really little with work and family).

pathogen541 and AltsKev like this.
  8. Norf

Norf Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2020
    Yeah, I briefly got really pumped at one point when the game said I had unlocked Priestess, but that, like Merchant and Enchanter, is just an explore option, not a new class.

9. pathogen541

Jun 19, 2016
    this my hang-up: every deckbuilder ive played, even the ones that are just “meh” like Spellsword Cards: Origins has some incentive to play again after competing a run. Hell, StS has SO many reasons to keep playing once you win, despite the port being dicey and a little slipshod. I can honestly not see myself diving back in for another run after completing this if there isn’t an incentive to do so, ie: more difficulties/new classes to unlock/new cards to unlock/anything after beating the game... which sucks because I REALLY dig the mechanics and the art style of this title.

10. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    I haven’t bought yet but this is something I’d want to know, and so to try and settle this once and for all:
    Does it take 10 hours to complete ONE SINGLE RUN? (ie a run being where your character may or may not die on that given run, and if they die you start again and if they don’t then you win the RUN. In slay the spire, you climb 3 ‘acts’ (or 4 depending), and if you beat the last boss, you win the RUN. A run usually take 2 hours for beginner to less than 30 or even 20 minutes for absolute pro).

pathogen541 likes this.
  11. andreadeda

Mar 6, 2013
    One run from start to end doesn't take 10 hours but maybe a couple if you read all the text.

I have beat the game after maybe 8-10 tries (can't remember exactly) so i guess in total it took me around 10 hours of cumulative playing to beat the game.

Talbs likes this.
  12. pathogen541

Jun 19, 2016
    is there anything after you’ve won that incentivizes more runs after completion?

13. Norf

Norf Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2020
    More bugs:
    - Enemy is Jinxed, I have Evasion, their Jinxed attack still removes my evasion
    - Sleight of Hand on.... Frost card that inflicts 1 damage per card in your hand + single stack of Freeze. Sleight of Hand has at least twice failed to see the cards in my hand and resulted in 0 damage.

14. andreadeda

Mar 6, 2013
    None that i'm aware of.

The dev seems present in this thread so maybe he could add something about unlockables or future plans for it

I just want to say that the game itself is really good. I've been playing videogames for more or less 40 years and most of the game i download nowadays i don't even play enough to finish them the first time as i get bored fast...
    This one i enjoyed (like i enjoyed slay the spire, pirates outlaws, NOTFM and the best of all: Dream Quest) and even if i would like it to have something more to it i still think it's worth the price.

Talbs and pathogen541 like this.
  15. pathogen541

Jun 19, 2016
    I really enjoy this title and have yet to complete a successful run, and I am IN LOVE with the mechanics and the fact that it so closely resembles NotFM, which was my favorite DeckBuilder on iOS behind Meteorfall until StS came out and destroyed everything else on the platform (just my opinion, StS is one of my favorite games of all time. Fanboy status) but this has potential to be AMAZING.... and it is amazing.

But I can’t help but feel like the draw to deck builders is the fact that usually there is another build to try, another unlock to go after, a branching path that wasn’t yet explored, etc. if each play through is exactly the same, with encounters being the same, bosses, etc. being the same and the only difference between runs being which character you pick and which deck you build, I couldn’t see myself diving back in to play again.....

I realllllllly hope they implement a relic system or some rare cards.... something to keep you playing after end game. Meteorfall has difficulty modifiers you unlock as well as new cards/skins to be purchased with diamonds, etc. StS has difficulties/cards/relics/classes etc. you have to play to unlock. None of that is on display here, and maybe the intention of the game is only one play through, but If that’s the case, I’m worried that this is a massively missed opportunity. This has the potential to be the king of all Deckbuilders on iOS in my opinion.... it’s built for mobile.... I just think it needs..... more? I could be wrong here, that’s just my take.

16. aconfusedkender

aconfusedkender Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2012
    Oil & Gas
    Kendermore, Ansalon
    Ok so I’ve now beat it with Crusader (going Holy Tech) and with the Arcanist (with Freeze build) and both were pretty easy after I figured out what cards were good and not. The game is a lot about NOT taking every card. I think with both builds I had less than 30 cards end game and 4-5 imbued enchantments.

17. Norf

Norf Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2020
    Currently unplayable, post patch. Twice I have drawn a card called THIS IS CARD NAME, 5 blue energy cost, that says "This is a test to see what width Unique this card will be able to hold if anything. Even over 4 lines." And then the game freezes.

Playing Seeker with Innate Magic and Fletcher.

18. Norf

Norf Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2020
    Both times in bandit forest, FYI.

19. Norf

Norf Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2020
    Alright, now I feel like you're trolling me.

Had innate magic, bought a spell from the merchant while in woods, did make copy, but was not 0 energy cost. This is a new problem.

20. Hey all, catching up with the posts!

Thank you for your feedback. I've added all bug reports to our list, expect fixes of those in next weeks patch (1.0.7). Most of these we are aware of but still helpful to see them confirmed here.

Meta progression
    (or "why do multiple runs?") - This is a clear focus for us to design and put into the game over the coming development cycle (I couldn't agree more with @pathogen541). But we also felt there is a right and a wrong way of doing this. Locking content/features the game has been build around behind arbitrary grinds/timelocks didn't seem like the way we wanted to go about it. When implemented poorly, we'd risk making the game progressively easier (instead of more challenging) or depriving the more casual player of content that was meant to be part of the game.

Instead we looked at the NoTFM development, where the meta progression was added on top of their core-game to enhance the experience and extend its lifetime after its initial release. We've been giving some incredibly valuable insights in what people like about the meta-progression systems in roguelikes of any genre on our Discord server, and happy to take any more suggestions here :)

For right now, we've had several players complete the game on Hard, and some tormenting themselves with slugging through 'difficult'. Both of these modes reward higher scores - which we are happy to concede only appeals to a small subset of players. Bragging rights for that mode are still up for completing this mode (or a 10k+ score) grabs in our discord ^^

pathogen541 likes this.