Universal Dawnbringer (by Kiloo)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Jun 15, 2016.

1. Wizard_Mike

Wizard_Mike Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Texas
    Beast quest comes pretty close.

2. Taeles

Taeles Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 5, 2011
  3. Kotovsky

Kotovsky Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2012
    What a piece of pityful. Even the first Infinity Blade looks better.

4. !nsomn!ac

!nsomn!ac Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2013
    Does not have open world movement. It lets you move forward. While moving forward, you can move a little to right or left, which makes you think you can turn around and go back, but you cant. Any attempt to wear off the main path stops your character.
    Then you just get to next challenger and fight similar to infinity blade.
    Graphics are decent, not impressive.
    You cant skip the intro cinematic, which they spent a lot of money for.

5. ashmike3

ashmike3 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2014
    That is not my experience. I was able to direct the movement anywhere I wanted to go. Tap to go, tap to stop. While moving look left, character turns left and continues to move that way.

6. Wizard_Mike

Wizard_Mike Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Texas
    No, the game actually is open-world with free roam. You just haven't understood the movement controls very well.

Dragging turns the camera. Tapping once makes the character start moving in whichever direction you have the camera pointed. Tapping once while you are moving will make him stop. If you run into a wall or big obstacle, he will stop moving. You can run anywhere you want freely, backtrack, explore, etc.

7. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    #27 Exact-Psience, Jun 15, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
    EDIT: Nvm.

8. fabell

fabell Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2016
    #28 fabell, Jun 16, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
    This is a great game. A little grindy but should satisfy that itch for an open world Infinity Blade.

I don't necessarily like the F2P aspects but I wasn't a fan of Infinity Blade's monetization either.

I enjoy the armor falling off when you damage your enemies and the different forms of combat with the bosses as you progress with each.

The lore is told pretty well (even if it is a bit cliche). Would be way better with a quest/story tracker and bestiary but it's fine for what it is. It works.

Also, the weapon and armor upgrades are really cool. The fact that you can grind to upgrade your gear is a huge plus for me.

I do wish there was more to do in the open world (like picking herbs, finding secrets, etc) but maybe there will be (I'm not finished with the first area). The game world looks enormous and that makes me really happy.

9. ibis_87

ibis_87 Active Member

Feb 4, 2016
    Male
    Manager
    Moscow, Russia.
    Wow, such a nice, laid back casual RPG, something you want to play before going to sleep or after a hard day at work. Just wonder how F2P it's going to get and if buying the permanent XP doubler will be enough, like the star doubler in Sky Force Reloaded.

10. IPlayGame

IPlayGame Well-Known Member

May 29, 2015
  11. gmattergames

gmattergames Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2013
    #31 gmattergames, Jun 16, 2016
    Some of the early posts really bash the game, but it's actually not bad. The temptation to compare to Infinity Blade is obvious, but to me, it feels more like a mobile mmo: Semi-open world (zone-based), very guided quest structure, but with action-oriented combat, not unlike IB. True, the graphics aren't as polished and animations not a fluid as Infinity blade, but IB was the flagship mobile release of the Unreal engine and more significantly, was extremely linear, allowing Chair to focus more on design than content. Infinity Blade felt more like a funhouse ride, where Dawnbringer feels more like the carnival itself. I'm hoping there's more depth to character/gear development than there appears to be, but initially seems very linear and predetermined. To soon for me to rate though, and unless the paywall becomes ridiculous, it's feeling like something I could play for while.

12. spidersynth

spidersynth Member

Apr 6, 2015
    I have been playing it since it launched and I haven't had any problems in the game. The graphics compared to IB arnt as great. But graphically reminds me a lot of like WOW. I like how the game gives you enemies to grind and its encouraged since you need materials for armor. To me as a quick pick up and play time waster story is ok but not super important. Though I will admit I have been spoiled by IB3 I wish there was more weapon types. Otherwise I think this is a game I will be playing a while.

13. Taeles

Taeles Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 5, 2011
    #33 Taeles, Jun 16, 2016
    Very lightly inspired Infinity Blade to be honest. The combat system is present but highly simplified. Swipe towards an incoming to attack to parry it. Keep swiping to do damage. There's a healing potion button and so far... that's it for the combat system. After an hour of play I can flat out give the following tip : Learn the enemy move animation and simply bash the swipe in the direction you know its coming from 99% of the time you'll parry the incoming hit and get in 5 or 6 hits before the opponent begins its next attack. Combat is very easy.

A welcome way this game diverges from the Infinity Blade franchise is open exploration. The playable areas are large, lots of things to smash, enemies appear on screen and are engaged by entering their aggression ring. The story back tracks on itself several times so your always moving around and all smash ables re spawn so memorize where the silver chests are and hit them every time you see them up, good loot.

Replayability and encouragement to log in every day comes from the arena where a monster appears for you to smash each day for increasingly solid rewards.

Missions randomly generate and want you to do random things like 'break 25 urns' or 'do x amount of parries' or 'kill x amount of y' and reward you with a variety of things. These don't seem to be on a timer and the more I complete, the more appear.

Not 100% sure if I like open world navigation atm. Reminds me of Lili. Tap to start walking, finger drag to steer, tap again to stop walking. I think I'd prefer a analog movement stick but this really isn't a bad alternative so I'll deal.

There's been some griping regarding the graphics quality. I find that funny but understand why. Watch the intro cinematic. Wow. Seriously, thats amazing to watch... and then bam your staring at this games in game graphics heh. Its not bad, not bad at ALL. But compared to the cinematic you watch just before seeing in game... and the in game looks awful in comparison. But like I said, the graphics are great, just have to get past that cinematic and your solid.

Performance wise I'm seeing occasional hiccups on my pro 12.9, usually early in combat which usually results in a missed parry.

As for rpg element, lets see. Exp earned levels you up. You earn more health and such automatically. Character improvement in this one is largely gear upgrades, which cost resources you find from smashing and killing and looting things. Timers present on gear upgrades, skippable by spending iap gold. IAP gold is awarded every time you level and iap store.

IAP shop offers experience doublers, free gold coins for watching videos, free gold for liking things like their facebook page, twitter, youtube, all sorts of their sites (you don't have to actually like/follow etc, just click the link then top left click to return to the game when safari appears on screen). The shop itself sells gold in packs ranging from 5usd to 100usd and the entire materials shop (materials are used for upgrading equipment) use gold. For support I recommend the doubler. Watch the ad when available, like/follow/etc all their sites for the initial gold reward and then spend your gold in the materials shop.

Never spend gold to speed up timers.

My one solid gripe? No voice acting. This game needs and deserves voice acting. My one half gripe? Gamecenter Achievements please.

4.3/5.0 from me, should definitely look in to it. There's nothing here that hinders game play enjoyment.

14. thumbs07

thumbs07 Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2010
    UK
    Impressive RPG.

15. Kiloo_Jeppe

Kiloo_Jeppe Well-Known Member

Hi everyone!

Thanks for the many comments and review on Dawnbringer! We're super excited that it's finally out there for everyone to play, and we are eager to hear your opinions :)

We have a lot of plans for updates to Dawnbringer already, with the first update scheduled for release in about two weeks and containing, among other things, different optimisations to ensure an even smoother game experience.

If you have any suggestions for future content, be sure to let us know.

The world of Dawnbringer is huge, and it has more to offer than what you see on the surface. During your quest you will be asked to venture underground and explore dungeons teeming with treasures.

In dungeons you can obtain Shards. Shards are magical artefacts that boost your fighting prowess. Depending on the type of Shard you’ll get either offensive or defensive bonuses in combat. Once you’ve learned the proper technique, you can even combine and evolve your Shards into more powerful variants.

16. gmattergames

gmattergames Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2013
    #36 gmattergames, Jun 18, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
    Put in a good couple hours, enough to assemble the first skeleton-throne-guy. The combat is entertaining, but the repetition wears quickly. There are three main activities presented as quests: box-bashing, mob-bashing and occasional boss-bashing. While the quests are similar to mmo fetch/kill quests, unlike typical mmo's, they are not assigned by npc's, they are assigned one at a time, in order, "telepathically". While this cuts down on time finding the next quest, with no npc interaction, it feels like what it is: a predetermined to-do list; the same experience for all who play. Similarly, gear progression is fixed, and handled via static, progressive, currency-driven, timed upgrades. While each new piece is shinier than the last and upgrades change character appearance, there is no variation or opportunity customize. With both quest and character progression being entirely static, the "open world" feels a bit "closed" in the end. While you can roam freely as zones open, the repetive nature of the quests and combat really start to become tedious, and because this rinse-and-repeat cycle is established early and often, it feels like you can experience everything the game has to offer early on. While that may not entirely be the case, the gameplay becomes so mindless, I'm not sure I'm interested in grinding through any more to find out.

On the other hand, there are a number of conveniences the game provides to ease the burden of the grind, namely: auto-travel, auto-quests, and auto-forging, all handled directly from the character ui, rather than game/npc locations. This keeps the majority of gameplay focused on combat, the real appeal of the game, and while combat is decent, it no where as robust as IB. Its not bad, but curiously missing combat actions you might expect: block & dodge. Perhaps block becomes an option if/when shields become accessible, but would assume dodge would be a standard option out of the gate. The apparent absence of these basic moves leaves the combat experience feeling shallow compared to IB, however, to its similarities, it will be impression most walk away with.

17. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    #37 LordShad0wz, Jun 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
    Thank you for coming here to talk to us. I'm downloading the game now. I'm going to fire it up in the morning. I read through this thread and I have to applaud you on the IAP choices. If I enjoy it enough I will without a doubt buy currency or experience doublers and watch ads for currency. I like permanent purchases.

I'll post full impressions tomorrow after I've gotten to really play. Thank you again for swinging by here!

Billy

18. sbirksy666

sbirksy666 Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2012
    Games decent enough :) am already onto the forth skeleton only the 5th and 6th to go :) and that's without spending a dime :) so game is doable up to this point with spending

19. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Yup... Like i said in my review, the experience doubler felt useless. I want to spend on this game, but not on something that pretty much doesnt do anything. Until levelling up has more uses than a full heal and a few hp total increase, it's not worth much.

20. Taeles

Taeles Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 5, 2011
    id love for that doubler to be resource.. heh.