Universal David. (By Andrew Armstrong)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Apr 8, 2014.

1. Quantum Apocalypse

Quantum Apocalypse Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    It might have been mentioned already, but on iPad, the game seems to run stretched out and letterboxed (david is a rectangle etc). The screen cutting off also happens on iPad 2.

2. TrumanBurbank

TrumanBurbank Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Yup, it isn't working properly on my Ipad Mini at all.
    Hope they resolve issues.

3. ikmalmn

ikmalmn Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2013
    Wait....how the heck do you move....on an iPad

Can't past the tutorial ON MOVING

4. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    #64 rIcHrAnDoM, Apr 8, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
    Well, it's a pretty boring Tuesday morning. I've read through this thread, both positive & negative. I think I'll give thi a go even though I still have no idea what it's about.

Btw, it is just my opinion but to the developer: leaving a five star review for your own game on the AppStore is somewhat in bad taste, just saying...

Richard

5. jameslavis

jameslavis Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2011
    Game looks great but the controls to me look awkward. How you guys find them

6. orangecan

orangecan Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    Very awkward for me although others don't seem to be having issues (I'm on a touch if that helps). I've persevered and it's still not clicking, it's the whole touch screen to charge and aim together with traditional move and jump that doesn't work at all for me. Not quite sure if/how it could be changed tho.

7. Fangbone

Fangbone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    Only tried it a few times so far but I'm also finding the controls quite awkward. It's pretty hard to control the direction while jumping while trying to hold a finger on David so he can attack. Playing on an ipad air. I'm curious as to how everyone else is controlling this game.

8. rIcHrAnDoM

Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    I've played just a bit so far (iPhone 4S). The controls are fine with me although I'd personally like to see a tilt to move option added, I think this would remedy the problem some are having with charging an attack, moving and jumping all at once.

I'm driving home from work atm anticipating playing more of David as soon as my work boots are kicked off, if that's any indication of how good I've found the bit I've played so far. :D

+1 for GameCenter leaderboards & achievements.

9. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    There is a tilt option on the setting menu :)

10. rIcHrAnDoM

Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Oh ok, thanks. Like I said, just had a little time with this earlier, at home now and ready to dig in! :)

11. spooky23

spooky23 Well-Known Member

Jun 30, 2011
    Did someone say Shadow of the Colossus?

12. g0omba

g0omba Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2012
    Bought it, LOVE IT!

13. toxiccheese

toxiccheese Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    Rating your own game is not in bad taste. As a dev you have to be confident and positive about your work. Rating it with 5 stars just shows that you feel your product is the best experience it can possibly be. Even politicians vote for themselves. Personally, I see nothing wrong with it.

14. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Rlly a great lil game. Am loving this. Especially at $.99.

15. rIcHrAnDoM

Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    To each his own. I like the game and I will give the dev credit, atleast he identified himself in his review. I guess it's just personal taste/preference and in this case I think you have a point. I'm not trying to insult Mr. Armstrong, I just think that the game speaks for itself and the players will show what they think regardless.

Btw, I am going to write my own four star review of David and with just a few fixes/additions the game could easily be a five for me. Please consider adding GameCenter and inverted tilt controls.

Richard

16. Collin

Collin Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2010
    Graphic Designer/Illustrator/Art Director
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Played briefly. After the tutorial, I was surprised by how small the levels are. "Greed" swarmed, cornered and killed me three times before I managed to beat it.

Mostly I was fighting the controls. They seem poorly thought out. If you are going to use one hand for aiming and shooting, you shouldn't then use two hands for movement. Tilt sounds like it would be just as chaotic. Honestly, a positionable thumbstick for movement, pushing up to jump, seems like it would be perfect. Especially considering how floaty movement already is. To jump twice, either release and push up again, or have it auto jump when held up.

I like the look of the game, and I'm not going to give up on it. I just hope something is done with the controls, or I may switch to playing on the pc.

17. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

Finished all the levels on the easy difficulty. Also tried out the arena briefly. Cool and unique game! I agree that the addition of Game Center would be nice.

As for the controls, they took a little getting used to, but after a while it clicked (I used the virtual button controls). The only real annoyance is that the enemies can trap you in a corner with seemingly no way out.

I love to see unique games by small teams (or in this case one guy) and hope they keep coming!

18. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Gahhhhh!! Lies on Very is crazy hard...

LOVING this game though! It's not frustratingly hard-rather enjoyably difficult. I can't wait to see what the last stage holds!! I'm also totally diggin the arena room (it would be awesome if more of these endless arena rooms were added in the future!!) and the 'upgrade system' for it.

Really hope this does well so we can see more added to it. =oD

19. toxiccheese

toxiccheese Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    I agree, the game is great. For me it's the control scheme that makes this game 3-4 stars. I'm not really a fan of games that make me cover the screen with my fingers.

20. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    About the controls... Could the right movement button be moved closer to the left (or even better, allow us to place the buttons where ever we want to!)? I know you can just hold down and slide, and all that, but that's uncomfortable for me... Also, it's really easy to catch the right movement button while you're charging your shot, which can wind up ramming you right into an enemy.

This is all on a 4inch screen, BTW. I'm sure it plays and feels better on the larger screens. =oP