Universal David. (By Andrew Armstrong)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Apr 8, 2014.

1. Fermenter

Fermenter Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2014
    Brooklyn, NY
    Oh shoot, I didn't even think about adjusting resolutions for iPhone 6 and 6+... I dumb. Looks like 1.1.1 is coming soon!

Anything else buggy about the new version I should fix?

2. Fermenter

Mar 24, 2014
    Brooklyn, NY
    #242 Fermenter, Nov 8, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2014
    A spike in popularity for David; neat!
    (#38 Arcade Game on iPad in the US this morning.)

Yesterday and today, for some reason, lots people have been buying and playing. I don't blame 'em! I've been playing again recently and dang, it's quite a bit of fun. Pretty proud of my work. Hopefully for me, this rise in popularity is less of a spike and more of a wave. Let's hope!

If you haven't played it, I can't not recommend it. ;)
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/david./id777413889

---

edit:
    Here's why if you're interested: The guys at Laser Dog are rad and chose David as one of their favorite games for an Indie Game Showcase on the App Store. Tah dah!
    http://www.laserdog.co.uk/blog/30/10/2014/alone-indie-game-showcase-appstore

3. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    It's because you made an awesome game and also the App Store indie showcase dev picked this game as one of there favorites.

4. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Woohoo! Congrats, this is awesome news

5. Fermenter

Mar 24, 2014
    Brooklyn, NY
    Thanks guys. It's quite an honor! :D

I talked a guy from Laserdog Games and they were super nice. Apparently there will be a write up about David on their blog in a couple days. Coolio! I'm looking forward to seeing what they think about it.

If you haven't played either of their games, I totally recommend em if for no other reason but to support nice people. Alone is a beautiful and fun one that I've played for quite a while. I'm gonna be trying out their other game, Puk, really soon.

http://www.laserdog.co.uk

Boom!

6. Fermenter

Mar 24, 2014
    Brooklyn, NY
    Long time no see, touchers. :cool:

Big news; recently David got Greenlit on Steam. :D The past few weeks I've been working on polishing up the PC/Mac versions of the game and getting them hooked up with steam achievements, leaderboards, trading cards, etc. I think it's good to go, but I'd love to get some help testing it out before I release it to the world.

If you haven't played David or just want to help me out, PM me and I'll send you a free steam key. Woo!

7. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Great to see one of my favorite devs! Congrats on steam!:D

8. Fermenter

Mar 24, 2014
    Brooklyn, NY
    Always encouraging to hear from one of my favorite coolpepper43s. Thanks buddy!

9. Fermenter

Mar 24, 2014
    Brooklyn, NY
    Hey again Touchers!

It had been almost a year on Steam Greenlight, and I’d actually given up on Greenlight after it looked like it wasn't going to happen, so it’s really awesome to be telling you about getting Greenlit and the upcoming release.

Thanks to everyone who voted, and thanks to Steam for giving David a fantastic audience.

Making it to Steam is a huge breakthrough for a little developer like me. I've got my foot in the door, so I'm just gonna walk in and make myself comfortable.

Look for David as it launches for $0.99 at 1PM (PST) on February 16, 2015.
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/346180

[​IMG]

10. Fermenter

Mar 24, 2014
    Brooklyn, NY
    [​IMG]

New content for free? Better late than never! Summer Update 1.3 is coming very soon to iOS.

UPDATES

• // 2 New Levels: COIL and PENT.
    • // Timed "Very" Leaderboards for every level. (GET THE FASTEST TIME!)
    • // A second hidden secret hidden fun place. (Radical, dude.)
    • // 5 New Achievements. (Sorry 100%-ers!)
    • // A new aesthetic goody on the rack if you beat the 2 new levels on Very.
    • // See scores close to yours in ARENA.
    • // UI/UX upgrade tweaks all around.

Let me know what you think about it all and good luck getting the fastest times on the leaderboards!

Anyways, thanks for sticking around and being a great community. I'm incredibly thankful for every single person who has tried out this game I've put so much work into. As of right now (including bundles and other non-Steam sales) over 120,000 people have David. That's just nuts and I don't think I'll ever really totally grasp how cool that is...

Thanks!

11. Fermenter

Mar 24, 2014
    Brooklyn, NY
  12. shiny

shiny Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2015
    Just got it, really cool challenging and fun game

13. Fermenter

Mar 24, 2014
    Brooklyn, NY
    Hey Shiny, good to know you're enjoying it! Thanks a bunch for giving it a go. :D

14. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    So with the controls how do they work? Do you have to click on David or can you do it from anywhere ? I just don't want my hand in the way.

Billy

15. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I will redownload this coz i liked the game but as you mentioned my hand was always in the way. I know there was a vstick option added a few months back, might as well check it out again today.

Will let you know the specifics in a bit.

16. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    #256 Exact-Psience, Sep 8, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
    Ok... There are 3 control options now (tilt, floating vstick, dpad), but attacks still require you to tap and drag from inside David (main character cube), and drop it on enemies.

Basically your thumb/fingers are going to be in the middle of the screen. Im playing on an ipad mainly, and man my hand has to be there to be able to shoot using my thumbs. LOL

The different control options only affect the movement controls.

17. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Thank you my friend.

18. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I kept playing but i really hate how my thumb has to get in the middle of the screen everytime i want to attack. Im not even complaining how difficult it is to reach the center of the screen with my thumb having small hands.