Universal DATA WING (by Dan Vogt)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by DanVogt, Aug 17, 2017.

1. jonwilf

jonwilf Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2014
    I was in the beta test and can confirm that this game is fantastic! I'm VERY surprised it's free - you'd be mad not to give it a go for nowt!

2. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Damn, this is good. Easily the best racing game I've played on iOS in a loooong time.

One thing I'd love to see is the ability to race against ghosts of your best times and your friends' best times. (Unless the game already has that feature -- I'm only a few levels in.)

3. orangecan

orangecan Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    This is just amazing, why can't I actually pay someone for it? Am I missing something?

4. sebgo

sebgo Well-Known Member

Pricing is wrong

The dev worked hard on this, made an awesome game, cool experience...

I'll rate it 4 stars, because he forgot to add the price tag.

5. HelperMonkey

HelperMonkey Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Iowa
    Is this gonna be bad cyber karma? Am I going to hit only red lights next week? Why am I being allowed to play this excellent game for free? I'm pretty sure I didn't deserve it.

Meanwhile, this is enjoyable in every way except that my eyes are burning because I apparently race without blinking.
    The things we suffer for fun...

6. RinoaHeartily

RinoaHeartily Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    This s a good game but definitely not everyone will be able to play it.. I gave up on the skirmish mode I can't pass it going in circle... #

7. sebgo

sebgo Well-Known Member

Keep trying! Some levels are hard and require some memorizing... #

8. 7lilwhitewolf7

7lilwhitewolf7 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Male
    Not hear on earth
    Georgia,Cleveland Ohio,Texas,New York
    #Congratulations#

9. FiloMJ

FiloMJ Well-Known Member

May 16, 2015
    Male
    Downloading, and rating soon

10. Bitcoin

Bitcoin Member

Aug 1, 2017
    Add a function so that we can tip you something.

11. sakara214ever

sakara214ever Well-Known Member

May 10, 2012
    Yes please add a function so that we can give money to you.

12. imdakine1

imdakine1 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Thank you.A truly amazing experience that hits to feeling of both old and new. As an old school gamer who has seen the world from pong today I fully appreciate the overall game and I haven't gotten to play with sound on yet as my wife is 30 week pregnant and I don't want to wake her and can't find my headphones!

The overall controls are fantastic with so many ways to control your "ship" with inertia or using the brake etc...

I'm with others that the saddest part of this game is the fear that it will end. I've only done two courses so far as I already am afraid that it'll end! The storyline or commentary I've experienced so far totally add and make the game even that more special! The way to know our purpose is genius and hilarious!

I agree with others that the no advertising or IAP is crazy, but appreciative and even without playing with sound or music yet I respect your prior response to support the musicians as you my friend have gained my respect you generosity to us and your musician friends. Thank you for providing us a true gem in an era that it is not found so often!

13. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Finished the main story this morning. This was a great little slice of arcade fun.

Thanks very much to FuZion in the GOTW comments for reminding me of Aero Racer on PSP Minis - I had a nagging sense of dèja vu all the way through the game and didn't know that Dan worked on that game too!

14. cy@n

cy@n Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2011
    "Mein Land"
    Both of you didn't play Pigeon Wings, did you?
    Data Wing is amazing but to me it is more of a journey than a speed runner...
    DW is an amazing and innovative game, but if you look for highscore hunting PW is a much better option IMHO

15. Bi88les

Bi88les Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2012
    Fantastically put together game, with nostalgia vibes out the hoo-ha!
    I can't believe I can't pay something for this experience...!

16. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    I really really love this game. Is the game pretty short? The story / dialogue is amazing.

That aside, I'm really bad at this game. I honestly don't think I can beat it. I'm having trouble using the edges to boost. I can boost a bit but I can't boost from side to side without hitting walls or screwing up. I have a lot of trouble doing the timed missions or beating racers..

17. .THOTH.

.THOTH. Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Credit counselor :(
    Tacoma, WA
    Just completed this and loved every second of it. More please!!! I was obsessed with rocket racing on PSP; any chance of rereleasing that game that on a new platform or more content for this?

18. DanVogt

DanVogt Member

Jun 9, 2017
    Thanks, all, you're too kind.
    I always loved Rocket Racing / Aero Racers. I was totally bummed they never had leaderboard support so I'm so glad to see some wicked good scores that I'll probably never beat floating around...

19. DanVogt

DanVogt Member

Jun 9, 2017
    Yeah, sorry. That level is causing so many people trouble. :(((

20. DanVogt

DanVogt Member

Jun 9, 2017
    Sorry, it certainly is difficult balancing a game like this for everyone.
    You might be surprised how little steering you need to do on walls. Maybe try approaching a wall and turning late to use your engine as a cushion. Once you're riding a wall, it's easy to press too much, so just do tiny short taps to keep that cushion going... Good luck! :)