Universal Dashy Crashy (by Dumpling)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by touchy85, Dec 16, 2015.

1. dumpling

dumpling Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2013
    Game Designer, Game Maker, Director
    Shanghai, China / Sheffield, UK
    Dashy Crashy ARCADE SEASON is GO !!

Hey folks! In tribute to the arcade racing classics that inspire us, we’ll be releasing a collection of new vehicles and game-modes, plus a surprise for those who collect 'em all!

• Weekly events
    • Collect 12+ new cars
    • Brand new arcade gameplay

Each week throughout Sept./Oct. we'll be giving you a new car(s) to test-drive and a new objective to clear. Successfully clear the event to keep the car for FREE. If not, it'll be returned to be won as loot, rented or bought directly (with the exception of the season's Secret Car).

It kicks off today with the OUTRUNNER '86.

We're having fun playing with the dashy formula in making these (it's a live development process for us!), and we hope you have fun collecting them. Let us know what cars you're hoping to see/collect?

- travis

Attached Files:

2. chief78

chief78 Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2012
    #122 chief78, Sep 7, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
    Excellent update! One question: are we simply driving as far as we can to see the sights? I didn't notice a special ability for the 86 and wasn't sure if there's something I need to actively do to make sure I see all the locations?

EDIT: Would it be bad to say I'd love to see the General Lee? Confederate flag and that whole BS argument aside, that and Knight Rider (which I know is already in the game) were my fav cars growing up....trying to think of more.....more Autobot inspired characters like Jazz, Drift, Blurr...just throwing out ideas #

3. chief78

Jul 24, 2012
    I figured out how the visit locations piece works for the current event (it was right in front of me and I just didn't look). When on the vehicle select screen, under the car it will show how many locations are left to visit (which happens automatically).

4. hvianna

hvianna Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2012
    Male
    IT Analyst / Webmaster
    Brazil
    The General Lee has already been added in a previous update and it's really cool!

5. korossyl

korossyl Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2013
    OH MAN. This update ROCKS. The Outrun car almost conpletely changes this game for me. Well done, guys. Wow.

Y'know what I wish we had? A way to mark cars as "favorites" and be able to access them more quickly. This car certainly makes the list!!

6. dumpling

Apr 7, 2013
    Yeah, we've been pondering how to make this clearer; not enough people seem to notice that each car has it's own actions/perks/gameplay. The events certainly make it clear, perhaps some sort of 'Daily Mode' to give the cars some focus/spotlighting... ##

7. dumpling

Apr 7, 2013
    Thanks! That was the intention # It's nice to play around with the Dashy formula, we still play quite a lot and this is us exercising some 'What if's?...' while we tinker on new projects and consider where to take Dashy Crashy.

The Garage IS getting a little unwieldy as we approach 100 cars. 'Category Tabs' might be a solution, but I like the 'Favourites' suggestion; 'Heart' the cars you like and they could all appear in their own little collection... ###

8. dumpling

Apr 7, 2013
    Take the PRIME RIG out for a spin; TAP the screen to 'Roll Out!', you might see some old Gen1 faces ##

9. webman2k

webman2k Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    This game is mobile gaming perfection. Tons of variety, quick sessions, and always makes me smile. The only frustrating part is trying to figure out which car to buy to support the dev. #

10. chief78

Jul 24, 2012
    Actually that would work quite well. In a way it's a refresher or tutorial to urge people to use different vehicles since they have different effects. Or maybe putting the text in red or something to offset it (or maybe display it's perk above the vehicle).

11. dumpling

Apr 7, 2013
    #131 dumpling, Sep 9, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
    The 'LUCKY CAR TOY' is a good shout ��; it shows your support and also gives the game the structure it would have if it were a premium app with a standard unlock progression (e.g. it ensures no duplicate cars, so by driving, clearing missions and levelling up you'll unlock everything ����)

12. dumpling

Apr 7, 2013
    #132 dumpling, Sep 9, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
    Ver. 2.4 **ROADTRIP EVENT**

Drive the the classic OUTRUNNER '86! Visit 195 locations before September 14th to keep it!

• Race against the clock, crashes slow you down, choose your next location…
    • … pass CHECKPOINTS for Extra Time and Bonus Score
    • You now get a prize each time you 'LEVEL UP’ (by clearing achievements)
    • Unlocking rarer duplicates now awards more points
    • Added NEWS! option to garage
    • Added in-app review
    • Added RAMPER as a secret car. Hint: ramp traffic!

Travis: OutRun is a very special game for me, having worked on both OutRun2 and Coast-2-Coast, so the idea of bending Dashy Crashy to fit a more rigid arcade time structure, branching routes and drifting has been a long time coming ��

Our original prototype was based around the idea of "Impressing the girl" (passenger) by drifting and weaving between traffic. It was fun but lacked the classic coin-op structure we fondly remembered, so we developed the 'Checkpoint' time structure and 'Branching' routes; these were trickiest to implement as Dashy Crashy's procedural highway isn't supposed to be 'scripted' let alone offer up fixed choices. I think it works, that choice of where to go at the end of each section compliments Dashy's vibrant landscapes and time shifts. If folks like it, who knows, it may find itself as part of the 'main' game? ����

ARCADE SEASON continues Sept. 14

13. webman2k

May 7, 2009
    I was thinking about that, but I actually like the randomness of the prizes - sometimes you win, sometimes you don't. Makes it more exciting to get a new car :) Ended up buying the Big Rig. Trying to bang out all the locations to keep the outrun car. Love that dynamic. It's a great idea to offer up new cars based on timed events. The tank and shooter are tons of fun. The whole game is just fun :)

14. chief78

Jul 24, 2012
    Nice point...I didn't realize this would allow unlocking the other IAP vehicles as well, because there's so many awesome ones and I want them all #

15. chief78

Jul 24, 2012
    #135 chief78, Sep 10, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
    Instead of it being part of the main game, how about an added "mode". I don't know how hard or not it would be but maybe have that portion of the game be procedurally generated to get that true old-school mechanic down. Then there could be seperate leaderboards for each. That would be an awesome IAP most people would get on-board with too ####

EDIT: I did think of a few cars to add if there's anymore planned: Speed Racer and Racer X, the Miami Vice white Ferrari Testarosa, and even Magnum P.I.'s red Ferrari 380.

16. dumpling

Apr 7, 2013
    Much thanks, we still have fun making it, so hopefully that's rubbing off # The event dynamic is really our answer to being a bit frustrating by purely random loot games, and also wanting to better communicate each cars 'unique thing', seems to work #

17. dumpling

Apr 7, 2013
    Yes SPEED RACER, is absolutely on 'the list'! (I think I'm in the minority that kinda liked how ridiculous the remake was, nothing else like it #). The branching scenery is something I've like to fully integrate across the game (we starting to use these events to test-drive tweaks to the formula, new mechanics etc), still a bit of work to do. Same with the modes, if people like, for instance the new racing mode, we might have to section is off. It's all very 'live' atm, we're just seeing how it goes and what folks like ##

18. dumpling

Apr 7, 2013
    Ver. 2.5 **CRAZY DRIFT EVENT**

Can you tame the TOFU DRIFTER XR? Complete 720 spins before September 21st to keep it!

• CHANGE LANES to drift-and-drive at crazy angles...
    • … keep turning and spin 360 for Bonus Score

Travis: Easily one of the dumbest and most fun cars we’ve made! I was a fan of SEGA/AM3’s Initial D Arcade Stage games (it introduced me to the anime!) and have fond memories wrestling its slippery handling, drifting all manner of angles through mountainous tracks. This is what inspired the gameplay for the TOFU DRIFTER XR; originally we wanted to ‘drift at crazy angles’ - like a sort of crazy 'showing off' - adding acceleration to the spins and rewarding 360s gave the car a fun ‘manual drift' feel. It's one of my favourite cars to drive for sure!

Fun trick: try hitting a ramp and spinning frantically in the air to ‘helicopter’

ARCADE SEASON continues Sept. 21

19. webman2k

May 7, 2009
    This car is indeed fun, but I found that you can stick to one side and rapidly swipe toward that side to rack up the bonuses. It was incredibly easy to get a high score this way, and I was able to get gold on the car by repeating this, and just swapping lanes and back when there was a car in front of me. Seems like you shouldn't be able to spin if you're on an edge and swiping in that direction.

20. dumpling

Apr 7, 2013
    Hmmm, I'll look into this (may well be tweaked for Ver. 2.6). Balance with these type of events is tricky stuff; you want to make goals achievable for newcomers to have a good crack at (who typically complete around 5 spins per play once they've got the hang of it), but on the other hand ends to be a meaty enough challenge to satiate the 'Dashy Crashy Pros' (who inundated my mailbox yesterday with pics of their newly unlocked car and unlock time! 11mins was the record, I think).

The solution might be 'tiers' of unlock content. Watch this space.