Universal Dashy Crashy (by Dumpling)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by touchy85, Dec 16, 2015.

1. Sexy Pirate

Sexy Pirate Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2014
    Call centre / Parent
    Newcastle England
    No I never deleted it. I was playing yesterday and unlocked a few cars. Opened up my game today and there was only the car I bought and the learner one there and the other ones were locked again? Don't know what happened.

2. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    Thank you for answering, I did finally notice this on my own just through playing some more. Didn't realize there were "tiers" of boosting. Such a brilliant design. This game is a masterpiece, and I actually really love all the hidden stuff that you guys aren't outright mentioning and instead letting us discover on our own.

Ack! I don't know how to respond to this other than to say no, no, no please don't make these changes. I play on random vehicle selection and it's a toss up whether my best runs are with the small vehicles or the large ones. I love that they both have their pros and cons. If you have just one type of vehicle you're doing well with, then what is wrong with just playing as that vehicle? Why do ALL the vehicles have to be changed? I actually hate that about Crossy Road, and was super happy they added unique attributes to the characters in Land Sliders. It'd be like having a fighting game where all the characters are exactly the same. Part of the fun is figuring out the strengths and weaknesses of the different vehicles, I'd hate to have that washed away.

:eek:

:eek::eek::eek:

Obviously I had to try it with 4 fingers after this, and indeed, it changes all lanes at once. I can't imagine ever utilizing this as it would be awkward to hover with all my fingers over the screen, but it's neat that you implemented this!

3. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Agree 100% with Boardumb, I would hate to see the current car HP formula tampered with. Great as is. Masterfully tuned imo.

4. nejizofa

nejizofa Member

Dec 1, 2015
    #84 nejizofa, Dec 21, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
    Too easy...

Working on my iphone 6.

I agree that it is very easy and I got bored of it very quickly.

Changed my opinion! This game has turned into a lot of fun.

5. vivafringe

vivafringe Well-Known Member

May 10, 2014
    #85 vivafringe, Dec 22, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
    What are your guys' highscores with the fastest cars? I'm getting consistent scores of 500+ with the heavy cars, with a high score of 1,106. I couldn't imagine getting the same with the light cars.

6. dumpling

dumpling Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2013
    Game Designer, Game Maker, Director
    Shanghai, China / Sheffield, UK
    Hey, sorry to hear that - not sure what's happen there, we'll keep an eye on it before the update. Are cars unlocking correctly now?

travis
    @dumplingdesign

7. Sexy Pirate

Sexy Pirate Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2014
    Call centre / Parent
    Newcastle England
    Yeah it seems fine now. Cars are unlocking and staying unlocked. Really have no explanation for why it happened I didn't do anything unusual.

8. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Please don't change the car stat mechanics. I like the tiers and the way they are. I like they game a lot. I just would like to tap instead of all the swiping.

Billy

9. nejizofa

nejizofa Member

Dec 1, 2015
    Fun game. My new addiction

So downloaded this game and have to say it is a lot of fun!

Purchased a car and have no regrets so far! Thanks for the great game!

10. stelluhreyesthis

stelluhreyesthis Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2014
    Pretty pretty please with a cherry on top if its easy in an update can you make it so I can listen to podcasts while I play? Also, this game is amazing.

11. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Seconded on the tap mechanic being added.

12. Corky McButterpants

Corky McButterpants Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    Oh noes!!! This is major oversight; hadn't realised in all the initial excitement. And no option to mute in-game music.

Please fix this. How else can I listen to:

ACDC 'Highway to Hell'
    Chris Rea 'Road to Hell'
    Talking Heads 'Road to Nowhere'

I could go on… :D

13. Corky McButterpants

Corky McButterpants Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    #93 Corky McButterpants, Dec 23, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
    Red Hot Chili Peppers 'Road Trippin'
    Ba-dom-tssch
    :p

I'm done now. Honest.

14. Mrwubbs

Mrwubbs Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Please add a crash mode!

15. Modjular

Modjular Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2014
    I don't know if dumpling trawls this forum anymore, but I just wanted to give some feedback about the car balancing.

While there does seem to be a slight difference in handling between a bus and a roadster, it isn't a big enough difference that it feels balanced. The bus is still the predominantly better choice because it has a whopping 4 health compared to the measly 1 health on the roadster. So while the bus may move like 20% slower, it's still not big enough of a difference to make the roadster appealing.

I'd suggest making the agility of the roadster much greater (more responsive to the swipe?) in order to make it a legitimate choice.

Alternatively, the health system could be changed. I know this game is supposed to be in quick sessions, but having a single "life" ends my games a bit too abruptly when I'm using a roadster, and it's always for minor things like clipping the taillight of another small car. It's just my opinion, but I feel like the life system was designed a bit too simply. While the speed mechanic has some cool depth to it (stringing combos together for score acceleration), having 1 hit equal -1 health seems a bit flat. I know it would probably be a very major change, but I feel like the health system has room to be more dynamic. Have full-on collisions with other cars be "worth" more damage, and clipping the side be worth less damage, so that hitting a car isn't a black-and-white affair. Maybe like COD, health could be "elastic" and you only crash after enough consecutive damage. The buses could endure more, and the roadsters could be more fragile.

I think people are enjoying the game as it is, but I also think that this game could be more enjoyable if there was more depth to choosing cars by making the speed and durability trade offs more significant.

16. dumpling

Apr 7, 2013
    hey! I'm still here ;)

so the key balancing factor is actually durability (number of hits a car can take) versus boost bonus (the accumulation of score and applied multiplier for continuously boosting). So in the instance of the Bus, it can take 4 hits, but its boost bonus is very very low (the worst in fact). Whereas using a fast-type such as the Roaster, boosting accumulates score very quickly, but with the risk/reward of 1 hit K.O's.

It's all about finding a car that suits how you like to play really. Interesting we initially went the more conventional route of reducing lane-change response times to make those big vehicles feel really heavy, but it sapped the fun out of using those vehicles - so we explored other avenues.

I've a bunch of 'pro-tips' I'll post out at some point soon, hopefully shining a bit more light onto the details of control, scoring, vehicle types and traffic. (also I'll update you with what we're 'tinkering' with in Jan ;)

travis
    @dumplingdesign

17. protonium

protonium Member

Mar 1, 2013
    Word, thanks for the tip!

I'm hooked on what Dumpling Design has delivered with Dashy Crashy. At first I dismissed it when I saw it on the top free downloads because of the name, IAP and ads - thanks to the stigma garnered from unscrupulous developers and their F2P junk - but I'm glad that I gave it a shot because it defied my expectations. If you enjoy endless score chasers then this is a fine game because of its visuals, audio and polish.

Reading through this thread I do like how these straightforward yet hidden features encourage discovery and discussion (different car speeds and lives, car colours, honking, etc) much like I've been sharing with my friends.

If you can't stand ads or waiting to play "just one more time" then this game is an easy recommendation at the price of free to $1+.

I need to play it a few more times before making any suggested improvements but a friend I introduced it to also asked for a tap control scheme to switch lanes.

I'm looking forward to the next update!

18. Modjular

Modjular Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2014
    #98 Modjular, Jan 4, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
    Ah, thanks so much for the reply. It's nice to know you guys are actively watching the forums and stuff. I've played some more since that post, and i notice that difference in score boosting now that you point it out. And I would agree with how you balanced the faster and slower cars, if this game actually relied on skill 100 percent. But there is one aspect of the gameplay that consistently brings RNG into the equation, the type that can't be dealt with with skill alone. I'm talking about the wrecks caused by the cars that overtake the player. While it's very satisfying to test my skills by dodging the traffic, inevitably I'm given the warning that some speedy bus is overtaking me. And I groan because I know this will probably end up with me taking a hit. Because no matter what I do - staying behind the speeder, or staying in the furthest lane - I have no way of knowing where a wrecked car I going to fly. I think this unavoidable aspect of the gameplay is why so many people are using buses and such, which shouldn't be the case, right? I think more people would consider using the fast cars if the randomness of these collisions was decreased. For example, instead of spinning off in random directions, maybe wrecked cars would spin into the air, and always land a lane away. Making predictable patterns for the wrecks would still be a challenge for the players, but the type of challenge that makes the player strategize and utilize skills to deal with, instead of making it feel out of the player's control.

Anyway, I'm probably just one of many people who have an idea of how to improve the game. I look forward to some tips on how to play, and I have a feeling some might address how to deal with the random wrecks.

19. dumpling

Apr 7, 2013
    It's all good feedback! :) With regards to the RNG wrecks in particular, we are looking to address these issues - in particular the cars that 'spill' from collisions and improving methods of dealing with them (avoiding, escaping and overtaking). We're aiming to get these changes to you (amongst other things) in our February update, we've given ourselves 4 weeks of 'tinkering'. Watch this space ;)

travis
    @dumplingdesign

20. GUILTIE

GUILTIE Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2011
    #100 GUILTIE, Apr 1, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
    I keep crashing into cars flying through air! Kind of frustrating, as they are very difficult to avoid.

Just saw Modjular had the exact same point! I guess great Dashy-Crashers crash alike.