Universal Dashy Crashy (by Dumpling)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by touchy85, Dec 16, 2015.

1. aussiepaul

aussiepaul Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2013
    I purchased the school bus cause it takes more hits, but you also win free vehicles.
    Good work dev .
    I support this IAP system.

2. touchy85

touchy85 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2015
    guess I'll buy the school bus then

3. korossyl

korossyl Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2013
    Thanks, Dumpling, for the speedy update! It IS delightful, as I suspected.

4. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    I played it a handful of times and didn't feel compelled at all to play it further. Deleted.

5. vivafringe

vivafringe Well-Known Member

May 10, 2014
    #65 vivafringe, Dec 20, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2015
    I think it was a mistake to have the cars not have identical attributes. There's a reason Crossy Road has every character be identical, barring cosmetics. At most, some minor abilities like what LandSliders has should have been done instead.

The properties of the cars are really different, and this in and of itself causes a huge imbalance in cars. I want to drive the coolest cars, but because I'm playing to get a good score, I instead have to pick the slow, high HP cars. As I was typing this, my wife just said, "I don't want the ����ing Roadster, give me back my Dump Truck".

The asymmetric characters are an issue, but it's also an issue that there doesn't seem to be any incentive to go fast. I find myself braking - a lot. There's not much reason to swipe up and go super fast, other than flying through boring sections. It would be great if going fast rewarded you in-game, because that's what everyone *wants* to do in a game like this.

6. stelluhreyesthis

stelluhreyesthis Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2014
    I really love this game but they definitely need to update it so we can listen to podcasts or music while we play, I don't understand why certain games lock that out, it's just lame.

7. ShinHadoukin

ShinHadoukin Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2015
    Please make it an option don't remove. I love games that have that. I'm playing on my phone during free time like at lunch for example. I love being able to keep up with time so I'm not late back from lunch & battery management without closing the app.

8. korossyl

korossyl Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2013

What an insightful, helpful comment.

9. dumpling

dumpling Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2013
    Game Designer, Game Maker, Director
    Shanghai, China / Sheffield, UK
    Hey, boosting will boost your score and apply a multiplier (in addition to the natural boost from speeding) - the longer you continuously boost, the higher the multiplayer, you should be able to hear your speed 'levelling up' as you go, until reaching a 'Super Sonic Speed' state, in which the speed cap is removed ;)

The effects of this vary between the different car classes, for instance vehicles that take more damage, tend to have lower boost bonus and vice versa. I'll post some videos on this stuff soon ;)

travis
    @dumplingdesign

10. aussiepaul

aussiepaul Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2013
    I like the idea of having a heavy vehicle go slower and taking more hits.
    It makes it more like an easy mode.
    Im not too interested in top scores, I like to be able to play for a reasonable amount of time before I die.
    Also the voice of the narator is great.
    Get her back in the studio for some more tracks. Almost anything she says sounds good.

11. dumpling

Apr 7, 2013
    Hey, I'll check with Brent what the issue is - we had custom soundtracks up until very recently (it was playing OutRun Box Set when we last playtested at EGX in the UK), but I believe it had to be removed due to compatibility issues with 9.1 - will let you know.

12. vivafringe

vivafringe Well-Known Member

May 10, 2014
    #72 vivafringe, Dec 21, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
    Fair enough, I'll be interested in the videos. Apologies, I overstated my case. Out of curiosity, if you are going supersonic, do you have less dangerous encounters (crashes, traffic jams, fast guys coming behind you) per mile?

I think my general point remains, though. What I was ultimately getting at is that the game doesn't care how fast you got there - it just looks at your total distance travelled. The most important thing is being able to weather the negative events that spawn dangerous, unpredictable elements. You mentioned that you looked at realism when you were giving properties to the cars. This is a bad idea! In reality, if I want to travel 100,000 miles, I don't care how fast I get there and I want to minimize my chance of a fatal crash, I should buy the slowest, largest truck I can buy. Realism isn't fun.

I'd revise my claim to be:

1) At my current skill level, if my goal is to get a high score, I should pick only the slowest, most durable cars.
    2) At an expert skill level, if my goal is to get a high score, I should *still* only pick the slowest, most durable cars.

You can debate 2), but 1) is undeniably true IMO. I myself am getting vastly higher scores playing the boring slow cars - generally rank A or B. Not only that, but the "scores to beat" by other players have also all been done with boring slow cars.

My feature request would be to make all of the cars identical. If you want to make them different, don't go for realism, but try to balance it around the player's goal: to get as far as possible, regardless of how fast they get there. And don't make them crazy asymmetric like they are now. The bigger cars should probably have some more HP, because their hitboxes are presumably bigger (also they appear to be slower at changing lanes). But that in and of itself isn't enough to have one car with 4 HP and another car with just 1 HP. It should be around 4HP/3HP instead.

13. Neddy F

Neddy F Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2009
    Tip: Swiping with two fingers changes two lanes!

14. Sexy Pirate

Sexy Pirate Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2014
    Call centre / Parent
    Newcastle England
    Haven't read all the pages in this forum yet. But I just started up my game and all my unlocked cars are now locked again?
    Only the learner car and the one I bought are unlocked.
    Is this something that's been reported before and will be fixed.

15. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Finally got around to this, lots of fun.

16. dumpling

Apr 7, 2013
    have you tried with three? :)

17. Elunix

Elunix Member

Jan 26, 2015
    Fantastic game, dumpling! I bought the Grand Tourer in support, though I'm wondering if that was a smart choice because it moves way too fast if I speed up ^^"
    You really took the "endless runner" formula and turned it on its head and the result was this gem which is staying on my device for a long time. Cheers!

18. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    To make this game more realistic, there should be occasional a@@holes that change lanes without using their blinker, lol.

19. dumpling

Apr 7, 2013
    hey, can I ask if you deleted the app before restarting? Although the game currently doesn't support iCloud Saves (planned), your unlocked content should remain. If you're talking about purchased content, you can 'Restore Purchases' in the garage - by scrolling to the left. Let me know and we'll try and get to the bottom of it.

travis
    @dumplingdesign

20. dumpling

Apr 7, 2013
    #80 dumpling, Dec 21, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
    It's an interesting point, no need to apologise it's all good design discussion :D Just a bit of background, we did in fact normalise the stats/handling across all the vehicles - much like Crossy Road - however we quickly found that players have an intuitive response/impression of how vehicles should handle, for instance the big and lumbering heavies with increased durability, the deft and fragile speedsters with high speed etc.

The main goal for going down this path tho was to provide variety and surprise, and scope for players to find a 'driving style' that suits them - this feeds a little into your strategy 1 comment: you can go all out speed and get just as higher scores, quicker, than going the slow and steady route of taking multiple hits. Also note that the longer you drive, the more events you're exposing yourself to.

It seems to be panning out, we're seeing a bunch of the top LB scores are actually using 1-hitters (optimising the boost award). As we're only 3 days in, we're keeping a keen eye on how it all shakes out! :D

travis
    @dumplingdesign