Universal Dashy Crashy (by Dumpling)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by touchy85, Dec 16, 2015.

1. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    This game is SO FUN.

This might be a dumb question, but is there any benefit to going faster? It seems like the only real point right now is when you have to race against another car occasionally (and because it's just more exciting to go really fast :)) but since you're raising the risk factor by driving faster there should be some sort of benefit like earning additional points or a combo meter or something.

Anyhoo, just wondering, love the game tons anyway :)

2. jbsib

jbsib Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2011
    Yeah also enjoying the game but wondering the same. I can get much higher scores in the school bus as it is slower and can take a few guys than the smaller faster cars which take just one.

3. imdakine1

imdakine1 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Not a fan of f2p and would have missed this gem... Love you .99 - 2.99 range for purchasing a car which supposedly makes the game premium... If so, great idea and total fan of this model.

Hoping unfit continued upgrades and keeping the iap without any other requirement to remain premium with a car purchase via iap,

4. Mrwubbs

Mrwubbs Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2012
    This game is amazing but I there should be more of an incentive to drive faster. How about a stacking score multiplier for the longer you're speeding? That would be a great risk/reward.

5. Mrwubbs

Feb 19, 2012
    I realize that there is an incentive:.. Staying far away from those evil rival cars!

6. Mrwubbs

Feb 19, 2012
    Omg the school bus "horn" lol. I'm in love with this game. One the App Store greats. For real. I hope it's never ruined by bs like revives through ads or consumable power ups.

7. Mrwubbs

Feb 19, 2012
    Just pay 99 cents for a car!

8. dumpling

dumpling Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2013
    Game Designer, Game Maker, Director
    Shanghai, China / Sheffield, UK
    #48 dumpling, Dec 19, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
    Hey! boosting boosts your speed AND also your score - not just the natural rate of increase, but also applies a + multiplier per speed tier - the higher your boost speed tier, the more score you'll rack up.

Obviously there's a risk/reward associated to this as boosting inherently makes the game hard - think fast! :D

travis
    @dumplingdesign

9. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Devs,

Is there any chance you can add a control scheme to tap left and right instead of swipe? I'm much rather tap.

I purchased a car to get rid of the ads and show support.

Billy

10. dumpling

Apr 7, 2013
    Just posted something on this below :) There is a bunch more depth to boosting & scoring than simply going faster (see below).

Also note that the advantage varies between the car classes. All of the car are categorised into a bunch of play-types, each with subtle pros/cons to playing & scoring. For instance Fast-Types have hype speed with great boosting bonus, but can only take 1-hit, requiring crazy reflexes. Whereas Heavy-Types can take multiple hits, but reward a much lower boost bonus. The aim was to have cars 'play as expected', allowing players to concentre on they like to play, rather than mastering a 'win car' - for the record, there is no 'win car' :)

We intentionally hid this detail so that players would discover & share, like we used to back in arcade days - so it's great to see players scratching away at the surface! :D Hopefully I'll try to pull together and share some protip vines to help reveal some of this stuff.

travis
    @dumplingdesign

11. dumpling

Apr 7, 2013
    Hey, I've popped 'tap control' on the list of something to try - we haven't been back to that control scheme in a while! - we'll see how it goes and keep you updated. Me and Brent have a bunch of tweaks and refinements we'd like to make in the next content update, landing around late Jan atm.

travis
    @dumplingdesign

12. fabianb

fabianb Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    #52 fabianb, Dec 19, 2015
    It's good to see an active dev here :). +1 for tapping #

Hmm, it now keeps saying: Score to beat: 250. Rank C:????

I don't get it. I already scored 250 points multiple times, even in a rank C car. It keeps popping up?

13. dumpling

Apr 7, 2013
    Just posted something on this below :) There is a bunch more depth to boosting & scoring than simply going faster (see below).

Also note that the advantage varies between the car classes. All of the car are categorised into a bunch of play-types, each with subtle pros/cons to playing & scoring. For instance Fast-Types have hype speed with great boosting bonus, but can only take 1-hit, requiring crazy reflexes. Whereas Heavy-Types can take multiple hits, but reward a much lower boost bonus. The aim was to have cars 'play as expected', allowing players to concentre on they like to play, rather than mastering a 'win car' - for the record, there is no 'win car' :)

We intentionally hid this detail so that players would discover & share, like we used to back in arcade days - so it's great to see players scratching away at the surface! :D Hopefully I'll try to pull together and share some protip vines to help reveal some of this stuff.

travis
    @dumplingdesign

14. dumpling

Apr 7, 2013
    it looks like that is the 'offline rival prompt' (even when not on GC we like to give you targets to beat) - can you confirm what your best score is (on the results screen, after crashing), and that you are signed into GC.

travis
    @dumpling

15. fabianb

fabianb Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I'm not signed in to GC, because I have the 9.0.2 GC bug.

16. russiaone

russiaone Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Pimp
    San Francisco
    #56 russiaone, Dec 19, 2015
    Please, please, please never change the core gameplay.

One thing I hope for in future updates is more soundtracks. What's on offer is outstandingly great (I haven't tired of it and don't think I will), but I would love more, more, more.

Secondly, the announcer is fantastic. Would be great to hear even more quips from her.

Ooh, one thing I love A LOT is how quickly the game reloads- it's damn near instantaneous. None of that 3-2-1... No waiting for the game to load, no obnoxious Game Center banners every time i quit out and come back into gameplay. This is just a really awesome people/time-friendly effort.

I salute you, Dumpling.

Dumpling... everything about this product screams HAPPINESS.

17. Jerutix

Jerutix Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Male
    Ministry
    Oklahoma
    I feel your pain. I'm at 9.2 and still have it. GC doesn't even try anymore.

Downloaded this because of Jared's post on the front. Definitely a lot of fun. Good work!

18. hvianna

hvianna Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2012
    Male
    IT Analyst / Webmaster
    Brazil
    This! The announcer really shines on this game! She's fun, cheeky, sexy! Great job, guys! (I could swear she says "yeckpoint"?)

Also love the instant restart.. and if you do it quick enough you can pass by your own (previous) crash. Epic stuff! :D

19. ShinHadoukin

ShinHadoukin Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2015
    Does this play offline, as in without yang data...???

20. ShinHadoukin

ShinHadoukin Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2015
    Buy any vehicle and remove ads forever. Just buy a .99 cent car & ads are gone.