iPad Das Boot: The Hunt For U-505 - RELEASED!

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by SudoWorks LLC, Dec 18, 2008.

1. SudoWorks LLC

SudoWorks LLC Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2008
    Hey Guys,

Das Boot: The Hunt For U-505 is now approved and on it's way into the App store.

Now we know that you're all tight on cash because of Rolando and SimCity so we will be handing out promo codes during the day on the 18th. (please wait for more information on how to get one)

25 Levels
    7 Locations
    4 Unlockables including new (secret) game modes
    Cinematic score by master composers
    Based on a true story

Price: 99ยข Through January 1st 2009 then $1.99 (50% off for it's introduction)

Enjoy!

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/v/2gOs_LOEHJY&hl=en&fs

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    NGMoco should have given out promo codes, you guys charge only $.99, highly respectable.

3. SudoWorks LLC

Dec 10, 2008
    Just an update.. We are still waiting for the store to update. I will post a link when it goes live

4. networkman

networkman Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2008
    toronto, canada
    IT's up on the APP Store.

5. #6 wastedyuthe, Dec 18, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2008
    I'm buying. 59p? Worth trying at that price. Opinion later.

[edit] Blimey! Got killed within a minute on my first two goes. It's hard guessing where the torpedoes are coming from when you can't use your sonar.

6. Fubit86

Fubit86 Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2008
    STUDENT
    Seattle, WA
    Looks cool, just used up my gift card on Rolando though :)
    I shall have 99 cents soon enough!

7. Ok. First impressions. This is really good. Simple, but good. It makes a nice change to have a slower paced more strategic action game.
    I am on stage 4 now, and am getting into it. The one thing I have had issues with is the buttons at the bottom not responding to my taps, especially the third depth charge. And no, I am not trying to press it when it is dark/greyed out. The way I see it, the buttons light up when that command is ready to be selected. But having to press it 3 or 4 times for it to respond isn't good. Are the boat staff trainee's?

8. SudoWorks LLC

Dec 10, 2008
    I'll take that into consideration for my first update. I may just make the buttons a little bigger so it's easier to get them.

The first few stages go rather quickly but once you get to higher levels a stage can be as much as 4 minutes. That's when things get really interesting. ;)

9. #10 wastedyuthe, Dec 18, 2008
    Another few things of note. The very first time I played the app, I selected 'Start Fighting' and it warned me that all saved progress will be lost.
    Firstly, that won't apply if it is my very first go at the game, so why have that warning message?
    Secondly, the message says 'You will loose all saved progress' when it should be 'lose' not 'loose'.
    Another- the 'Cancle' button should read 'Cancel'.
    Finally, I can't find a way to pause the game. Surely a simple tap of the screen on anything other than the buttons should allow the game to pause, where you are then given options to adjust volume or quit, perhaps.

Haven't noticed any other issues yet. Enjoying the game other than the button issue (my friend also had the same issue with the buttons, so I know it's not just me). It's a nice idea, and different from any other apps, so well done.

10. SudoWorks LLC

Dec 10, 2008
    Thanks for the input. I will address these issues as well as adding a few new features in my first update. I would expect it to be live in about two weeks due to iTunes Connect being closed for christmas.

11. You're welcome. Thank you too for listening to feedback. Always the sign of a good developer ;)

I will look forward to the update.

I will give this more playtesting, but it does look like I will give a good iTunes review from what I have played so far, well done.

12. Gotty

Gotty Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    UK
    But what's the game like? Is it any good? What about replay value?

13. #14 wastedyuthe, Dec 18, 2008
    The game is very different from anything else in the app store. You tilt to move your ship left and right along the surface at the top of the screen. There are enemy subs underneath that fire torpedos to the surface. When you are not using your sonar, you can just make out where the subs are, but it is extrememly hard to spot torpedos. This is where the sonar comes in handy, as it allows you to see everything under the water for a few seconds. However, the sonar needs charging after use, and so for the next 20 seconds or so, you have to remember/guess where those torpedos are so you can dodge them. You also have depth charges to drop, and again have to wait for another to be loaded so you can fire again.
    It is quite strategic and slower paced than your average action game. But that is a good thing. I can't comment on replay value or longevity of course, because I have only just started playing.
    Is it worth buying? I'd say, if you like the sound of it, and like the look of the video below, then it is well worth the very cheap price they are asking for it.

NOTE: Notice the player in the video (the developer?) is having trouble pressing the buttons a couple of times too. I am pleased this will be rectified in an update, along with other minor issues.

14. #15 wastedyuthe, Dec 18, 2008
    Here's a vid of my own I just uploaded. It's hard to make out in these videos, but when you aren't using the sonar, you can actually make out where the subs are in the water. However, they are very faint, which is why it is hard to see on video.

15. SudoWorks LLC

Dec 10, 2008
    Thanks Wastedyuthe!

I'm going to be giving out some promo codes shortly.
    I will give you a few as well if you have some friends that might want them.

16. #17 wastedyuthe, Dec 18, 2008
    No thank you SW. I am in the UK and thus I will not be able to use your codes. So you know, I was happy to pay for your app anyway- it's worth it, especially knowing you will sort out the small issues I listed.
    I appreciate the offer very much though. Thanks :)

17. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    #18 yourofl10, Dec 18, 2008
    sweet its approved now sweetness :)

just looked on the app store and its up yay!

18. SudoWorks LLC

Dec 10, 2008
    I have 25 codes for you guys but I'm going to make you work for it.

Take the Sub Quiz located here:

http://military.discovery.com/quiz/vehicle/submarine-quiz.html

and send me a unique screenshot showing you passed with all questions correct. PM me with it and you will get a code.

You can take a screen shot with the "prntScreen" button on the PC or "Grab" on the Mac (located in your utilities folder)

19. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    I got the first question wrong:(