iPad Darkest Dungeon (by Red Hook Studios)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by diffusion8r, Aug 24, 2017.

1. Avaniar

Avaniar Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2016
    In order

Replying, in order
    1 it might have to do with your position. There are skills that only work when you are innfront, others in the back, others work everywhere, other two front/back, othet in the middle. Check that. Another thing that is counterintuitive is that when you check a skill out from the character window, you mught deselct it. Be sure it is selected with a golden window around it
    2 save food mainly for hunger, so you don't starve. But it can be a life saver sometimes. Otherwise heal in battle. I have not gotten to the point where you have camping, but in medium or big dungeons i believe you can set up camp, which is where your camping skills come up. There you can use them to heal, lower stress etc
    3 cloister penance hall and transept are 3 places where you can put characters to lower their stress rating and also get rid of ...( not quirks but the other bad thing you get when they go over 100 stress like hopelessness and paranoid, cannot remember the word maybe traits). It works like the tavern's brother, gambling table and bar.
    This game is awesome. I had played it on pc for a couple of hours, but pc gaming for me nowadays just isn't working because i am 8-9 hours working in front of a pc.
    But this on ipad is amazing.
    My major complain is the ui. It is counter intuitive, and most of the time when you tap an item it should just select it, you should not need to long press it. It works in a weird way, but meh, it works.
    I am now at week 6 and only lost a plague doctor, but i have been doing mostly short missions scattered around the map. Flying a bit blind here, but there are some good guides around.

2. Sloany

Sloany Well-Known Member

Skills can only be used in certain character positions (1-4/front-back) against opponents in certain positions. on the skill description it'll show you 1-4 golden circles and 1-4 red. The golden are where the character needs to be to activate skill and the red where they can target. If either the character is in the wrong position or no enemies are in the target table areas then the skill will be greyed out. Either that or it's not selected on the character description.

For the other questions a quick google search will give you all the information you need plus loads more that aren't apparent.

3. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    How simple?

4. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    I have no idea how much work it is, but I think the game would be perfectly playable on the phone, unless it is way more cramped later on.

5. ttcool

ttcool Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2016
    Great advice! Thanks, it really helped out.
    Was curious to know what is that black ring around the head with a number as u are walking around means?

6. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    Still think without the letterbox, which it wouldn’t need on a widescreen phone, the game probably would be not much different playing on an iPhone 6/6S/7/7S Plus than it is on an iPad Mini.

Seriously.

7. eugenemcardle

eugenemcardle Well-Known Member

May 21, 2013
    Retired, Math/Science Teacher, Air Force Electron
    Redcliffe Queensland Australia
    You really think that? On an iPad, with the zoom set as mentioned above, it's perfect. Can't see there would be any way to make this playable on an iPhone. Even THE DONALD, with his tiny little hands, would have a problem. Especially as there ain't no big red button for him to press.

8. anthony78

Nov 13, 2015
    #108 anthony78, Aug 25, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
    I’m talking about the actual game space it consumes. I’d have to measure the width and height of the game itself (not the black bars). I’m willing to bet it isn’t much bigger than the full size of a Plus size phone which is close to the widescreen ratio of the game to not require the black bars (or not as much of them).

9. Avaniar

Jul 26, 2016
    Well...

That is stress. Stress is very important.

One other piece of advice. Stress goes from 0 to 100 and then to 200. If you let it go to 100 it is already bad enough, but do not let it get to 200. They get a heart attack and instantly die.

Apart from opening the character screen to check it, there are some small white squares underneath each character's portrait. First hollow squares that start increasing, then white squares that start increasing. The white hollow squares represent 0-100 the white solid squares represent 100-200. It is an easy visual reference.

Critical hits from the heroes "heal" stress. Critical hits against the heroes makes them gain stress.
    Also falling into traps is terrible, because not only do they lose health usually, they also get hit with stress.

This game has soooooo much detail. It feels like even after dozens of hours exploring you still get interesting details that make you go "a-ha"

Also if you tap on a quirk, positive or negative, it will tell you what it means, very helpful.

Hope it helps. If you have other questions, just shoot :)

10. Avaniar

Jul 26, 2016
    Err

As far as i know they can't make games for iphone plus specifically...

11. anthony78

Nov 13, 2015
    Yeah and that is kind of a shame since there are some iPad games I think could work on it but then the non-Plus phones — not so much.

12. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    Why don't put only plus devices on the description as supported devices, since devs already do that to show that games don't run on older models?

13. Avaniar

Jul 26, 2016
    Hmmm

I think people would still give grief over that, because heck, noone ever reads the warnings and then spout hate at devs

14. kulhy

kulhy Member

Sep 15, 2015
    Its very raw port — I don't feel very happy about it now and there are some bugs too (for example subtitles not showing)

Anyway it's still a great game.

15. Quicksilver524

Aug 25, 2017
    iPhone zoom feature

To apply a zoom feature is the same as many other games have done it. It's why I can play all the baulders gate games, titan quest, and ember all on my iPhone. Those are small and yet this game is larger.

There will always be those who complain about things, most are probably kids, we don't really know much about those who complain in this day in age of trolls. Some people just want to upset others for a two second joy of causing annoyance to others.

I think having a feature that just allowed those who can't see the ability to zoom in would be an option for iPhone uses. I don't own an iPad and I have this on the vita, but if it was to appear on my iphone App Store I would instantly buy. i guess it all depends on if they want my money that I currently am offering to put this game on the iPhone with a simplistic zoom feature, maybe two finger zoom or a hold your finger to zoom. Doesn't effect gameplay, only visibility.

16. RinoaHeartily

RinoaHeartily Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    How do u heal other characters using skills of a healer when not in battle? I am using food and bandages currently

17. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    I've got this game on my 6+ because mine is jailbroken. Can tell you right now this game is so menu and stay centric that I am constantly using the zoom feature, and if this game doesn't drain and ruin my battery already, the zoom feature certainly does. I'm grateful I can place this on my 6+ but I'm already a bit over it just due to how fiddly it is. This game needs a big screen to see all the stats.

If they were to bring it to any phone, it would be possible but they would def need to overhaul the UI to something completely different which I can't see happening.

I'm happy to have it on my 6+ but I'm just letting you know it's so cumbersome you may get over it quite quick. Actually talking from experience here.

From what I have played which again I am grateful for because I otherwise wouldn't, it's quite a deep game but only if you like CONSTANTLY comparing stats. Like CONSTANTLY!

18. eugenemcardle

eugenemcardle Well-Known Member

May 21, 2013
    Retired, Math/Science Teacher, Air Force Electron
    Redcliffe Queensland Australia
    Subtitles show to me fine. I've set them to show on top of the screen as there is enough at the bottom without them. I find it easy to play on my standard iPad pro with ios11. I don't ever use the zoom as discuss above but I've left it enabled in case in comes in handy for other apps etc.

19. midasmulligan

midasmulligan Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2015
    Runs beautifully on my 10.5 plus, very snappy and clear, borders are a non issue

20. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Support: yes and bigger text or zoomable text would be very much welcomed.