iPad Darkest Dungeon (by Red Hook Studios)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by diffusion8r, Aug 24, 2017.

1. ashmike3

ashmike3 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2014
    I've landed on the side of all of the positive comments I've read so far. Excellent atmosphere and sound, deep gameplay. Loving this. On iPad 12.9, barely notice the black bars and easy to read. I watched one "let's play" so the game mechanics mostly make sense to me. Well done. Slick AAA feel. Sound is amazing, props to the narrator, couldn't have asked for a better voice for this dark, brooding game.

2. ZS77

ZS77 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2015
    Running on iPad Air - the initial load times are waaaay too long (so long I thought my iPad had crashed!), aspect ratio is annoying, text is too small at times and the UI is counterintuitive and doesn't always appear to be consistent (sometimes tap the screen to dismiss a tutorial text box, sometimes press a cross instead, tap a skill to find out what it does and it deselects it from your characters active skill pool etc.) but all that said....

.....wow, what a great game for tablets. Dark, atmospheric, progressive story, character customisation etc. etc. So much to love. Notice though, I say for tablets - I've tried this on PC and the style of gameplay doesn't appeal to me whilst sitting at a desk - you need to be able to relax, preferably reclining, and take your time, picking your decisions carefully. Great fit for armchair gaming, just wish it was a great fit for the iPad screen as well!

....oh and yes, iPhone support would be great too!

3. RinoaHeartily

RinoaHeartily Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    Good game!!! But my iPad heat up very fast!!

Nah this can't go into iPhone.. The assets will be too small. On iPad is perfect

4. CrayonWarrior

CrayonWarrior Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Mar 9, 2014
    Great southern land
    Loving this on the 9.7 iPad Pro. Don't mind the letterbox format. Brutal game, even on easy (never played on any other format). Bargain for this price, easy buy.

5. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    Remains one of my go-tos. In fact, my iPad was brought out of retirement largely to play lots more desktop dungeons.

6. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    With text scalling I can't see why not, specially on larger phones.

7. Dema9o9ue

Dema9o9ue Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jan 16, 2015
    Absolutely loving this game. Only issue is load times and power usage but who cares. Gameplay and strategy is so good.

8. hla77

hla77 Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Can we change the language or we have to play with the native one of iOS?

9. ttcool

ttcool Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2016
    Killer game, manual?

Man, haven't been able to put down this great game. It's a lot of fun exploring and killing monsters. I do have few questions:

1) how come some of the unlocked ability is not in play during the fight? Like Jester have harvest, Finale, slice 1, and Tune 1, but during the fight he can only perform tune 1? what happened to all other abilities?

2) is the only way to gain health back is with food? but food doesn't increase health that much. Other character like seeker can heal but not by that much. Any other ways to regain health that's lost during the battle?

3) what does cloister, Transept, fenance hall do?

Thanks in advance with answers.

10. Quicksilver524

Aug 25, 2017
    Excuses

They could easily add a zoom function for iPhones that overlays the system and the game still runs as is but with a zoom function. Simple fix.

11. Bitcoin

Bitcoin Member

Aug 1, 2017
    Not on iPhone?!? Really!?!

12. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    And of course I've just lost all my core team against the first real boss, which had 3 HP remaining.

I'm so sad.

Anyone knows if the equipped trinkets are gone forever or they magically return in the hamlet?
    Because, of course, my 4 dream team was PACKED.
    Lost also almost 8K in supplies.

I shouldn't have gone for the kill so early, and debuff a lot more, like there was no tomorrow.

Darkest Dungeon is so tense.

13. Dankrio

Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    Why give the game a 1* rating based on that?

14. leokon96

leokon96 Active Member

Jun 3, 2016
    Letterboxing "fix": There is a zoom function in the accessibility settings. Disable windowed mode and set max zoom to 1,5. It is enabled by triple tapping twice so you can't do it accidentally. During battles the UI is centered leaving blank areas on the sides so you can zoom without losing stats and the map. :cool:

15. houseofg

houseofg Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 1, 2013
    No kidding. That is all kinds of wrong. If you took out all the iPad-only bitching, this thread would be like two pages (and far more informative).

16. buzznaut

buzznaut Active Member

Sep 25, 2013
    I don't see any accessibility setting. I see the settings option when you click the candle. Don't see any zoom setting in video setting either.

17. leokon96

leokon96 Active Member

Jun 3, 2016
    I meant your device's settings, not the app

18. Dankrio

Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    Got the game and it seems a lot of fun. The art is gorgeous and the narration is awesome. I would see myself spending a lot of time in this game.

19. buzznaut

buzznaut Active Member

Sep 25, 2013
    Thanks. Got it

20. Sloany

Sloany Well-Known Member

Been playing on PC recently (again) and I know when 1/2/3 die you have to either put them in your limited inventory or lose them so I would guess that if all 4 die they're gone, sorry!