iPad Darkest Dungeon (by Red Hook Studios)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by diffusion8r, Aug 24, 2017.

1. BC1377

BC1377 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2016
    just cannot stop pressing the buy button xD

2. tylerwa

tylerwa Member

Aug 29, 2016
    This game is boring as #### and there are a billion things going on with no explanation.

3. zen_mode

zen_mode Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2015
    Sydney
    For anyone wondering how the game handles save states if it's completely booted out of memory - from the single test I performed by force quitting the app mid battle, it appears to save everything, with zero loss even between individual turns. Quite surprising tbh.

4. MasonHurst

MasonHurst Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2013
    Yeah the art is fantastic and the way it zooms in as you attack the bad guys gives it a BOOM you don't usually get in these 4 by 4 turn based affairs. The music and atmosphere is unbeatable.

That said I play this sitting in front of 55 inch tv with my PS4 ...there is simply so much data to have to go through when making decisions with your team,etc that I couldn't imagine trying to read the text on an iPad. They would have to completely overhaul the UI for the iPad and it looks like this won't get done by this smallish team.

Great bargain for the art, music and atmosphere alone though. It's a special game too...nothing like watching one of your characters lose it and then refuse to fight, refuse to retreat, etc in the middle of the fight deep in the dungeon.

Stressful game but in a GOOD way. You have to expect to lose a character now and then which you realize is not a big deal as more and varied characters are always showing up.

It's one of the most awesome Indy games I've ever played on a big screen setup ... may be more questionable on a smaller device. If you don't get it on the iPad get it on your computer or console. Just don't miss it #

5. gmattergames

gmattergames Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2013
    #65 gmattergames, Aug 25, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
    Perhaps it's just me, but no sound on ipadmini2.

Edit: was me after all, reinstall resolved.

6. Makoto

Makoto Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2014
    It looks like we share some favorite games! Have you tried Desktop Dungeons? It's inspired by DCSS and has something in common with DQ, so maybe you would enjoy it too.

7. dukat111

dukat111 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2010
    #67 dukat111, Aug 25, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
    Anyone know how to equip trinkets?
    I can't figure out how to get them out of the chest and to the characters. Thanks!

.. figured it out, turns out the starting trinkets can only be equipped by a Jester.

8. zen_mode

zen_mode Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2015
    Sydney
    Yeah one of my most played games on my iPad.

9. Reaganomics

Reaganomics Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2009

That's ironic. I had a sudden urge to crank Desktop Dungeons up again.

10. Mookmonster

Mookmonster Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Anybody know how dropbox saving works? I cant even find my desktop save file, lol. Trying to move the save data from pc to dropbox to ipad and failing... :-/

11. eugenemcardle

eugenemcardle Well-Known Member

May 21, 2013
    Retired, Math/Science Teacher, Air Force Electron
    Redcliffe Queensland Australia
    This is a brilliant and and plays well on my standard iPad pro running ios11. No crashes, no problem with the text. Yes, it's a little on the small side but not a problem. I wear glasses so my eyesight is far from perfect and I manage very well. Don't be put off buying this great game because of a few whose main issue seems to be in won't run on older and smaller devices. Don't forget, since iPad 4 there have been FOUR new models. If people don't chose to update that's there choice.

12. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    Forgive my ignorance, what's DCSS?

13. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup. It's a roguelike on pc.

14. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Report: Completed the tutorial on iPad Pro 10 with latest iOS 10 without incident.

15. Swiss Guy

Swiss Guy Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2014
    Great (and grindy) game I've putted hours on console, but the letterbox transfert (blackbars) is something annoying to me.

For the action and UI ergonmy (trap, door, inventory) and information readability.
    Tiny infobox on buff/debuff panel in combat for exemple.
    And also, to just enjoy the art in details, that also counts to progress

It's not exactly a problem for those who knows the game as well as me. but I could not recommend it for a newcomer.
    It does not make the game unplayable but this raw graphical scaling from the PC version will limit his audiance I think.
    But I experienced zero stability problems and not any bug (iPad Air 2, 10.x).

16. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    #76 Pitta, Aug 25, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
    Pasting comments I left on NeoGAF.
    I knew the game a bit but I played it on PC just 2-3 hours long ago.

5 hours straight playing Darkest Dungeon last night.
    My eyes are bleeding and I'm developing some sort of stress induced phobia.

Also not sure why, but I've stuck in my head this Lovecraftian voice that comments everything I do.

The game sucks you in in its wonderfully crafted world and never ease its grip.
    It's a stylish joy for both the eyes and the ears.

Graveyard is already packed....but now some 'heroes' are emerging from the crowd and have been selected as the core team (unless they horribly die of course).
    I'm super short of man at arms tough.
    Started the armors and weapons upgrades.
    I almost cried when my nymphomaniac brothel loving 'cleric' died.
    And I may cut my iPad in 2 if Jorah, my man at arms, die.

What a wonderful game.

I really like the idea of the progressing story in a randomized dungeon crawl, meeting certain criteria with the done dungeons.

The meta stories that pop up playing are incredible.
    Like that time where I had just one room to explore to complete the mission but it was on the other side of the dungeon and I already camped, low on health, everyone stressed out by this weird cult....when right before last room we were ambushed by a group of cultists.
    1 man went insta mad, the others died trying to escape.

GLORIOUS.

Btw I can see the game technically being totally playable on iPhone (right aspect ratio too), with adjustments on font dimension.
    If Blitworks (who did the port) managed to make perfectly playable Don't Starve on my iPhone, they can do this.

(Slightly)Bigger fonts and faster initial loading Quest time on iPad Air are my only (very minor) requests.
    The game is a straight up GOTY candidate in my book.

EDIT: speaking of other devices, I'm surprised the game isn't on Apple TV too, as the game already supports controllers in other platforms.
    Conveniently the game already support iCloud.

17. Makoto

Makoto Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2014
    Yeah, just what Misguided said.

18. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    A man can only dream. Lol

Would love to have this bad boy and Sunless Sea on my pocket.

19. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Opinion: I am a newcomer, I too find the hint text on skills and so on are a bit small, but I don't them too bad to read them on a bigger screen. BG:EE has been worse, imho.

20. Swiss Guy

Swiss Guy Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2014
    Ok, cool for you :cool: The game deserve it.