iPad Darkest Dungeon (by Red Hook Studios)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by diffusion8r, Aug 24, 2017.

1. dukat111

dukat111 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2010
    There is a gamma option in graphics settings that helps.

2. Pepelutin

Pepelutin Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Music teacher
    Belgium
    Not compatible with my ipad fourth gen... another one. I thought it wasn't impossible to make it work on my old friend.

3. Bunion

Bunion Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2011
    Pretty strange that it doesn't work on older iPads as although it looks fantastic, i wouldn't have thought it'd be a very demanding game on the hardware.

4. Alex Wolf

Alex Wolf Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Would this work on ipad mini 2?

5. Papicus65

Papicus65 Active Member

May 8, 2013
    I have a mini 2 and it works just fine. But beware, text is reeeeeally tiny.

6. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    Mini2. This is chuffing awesome.

Run 1: accidentally disabled tutorial popups, attempted my first dungeon vastly unprepared, eventually fled, pit three of my crew in a brothel, pub, and abbey (respectively) to destress; then discovered they were banned from fighting for a week. So restarted.

Run 2: went beautifully for dungeon one, recruited a tonne of front liners, discovered half of them wouldn't work with another un because of their religious beliefs, went into dungeon 2, and half of my new lot went first rate batshit with huge stress reactions. Lost control of two, eventually surrendered / fled, and am now attempting to read up on strategy a bit more.

Really stunning game. Beautiful, absurdly rich / complex.

7. Reaganomics

Reaganomics Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Me too. Good post.

8. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    So, my 6+ is JB'd and this is EXACTLY why I run my phone jb'd. Bought the game through iTunes then sideloaded it onto my phone and used a tweak called Fullforce and now I'm running darkest dungeon on my mother freakin phone like everyone else wants to. Oh, and it's in full screen mode, no bars.

Please read this, and let yourselves remember this the next time there is a thread somewhere about jailbreakers being up to no good but pirating. I buy all my games through iTunes and load them onto my phone to play. (I've got FTL, aquaria, desktop dungeons, and the list goes on, all iPad only but all on my phone).

Disclaimer: this game certainly does require the use of the iOS zoom functionality to zoom in and check things but as with games like FTL I've actually gotten used to using it. It means I can play these games on iPhone.

Another disclaimer: got to dash off to work so I've only jumped into the campaign so far.

9. Lurchroboter

Lurchroboter Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2016
    #49 Lurchroboter, Aug 24, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
    Read the above, devs! I got no jailbreaked phone, but baldurs gate 1 and 2 or planescape torment, neo scavenger and Xcom are just mere examples of games with complex interfaces that are run by MANY users to their complete satisfaction on their phones. Give us a port and i will gladly pay double your price!

10. JackDerp

JackDerp Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2015
  11. dukat111

Mar 23, 2010
    Had fun beating the first dungeon when it wasn't crashing.

3 crashes and 1 lockup requiring the process to be killed & restarted.
    10.5" iPad Pro, iOS11 beta 6.

Outside of crashes which I hope are corrected soon main request is option to scale up GUI, even just a little bit.

12. RinoaHeartily

RinoaHeartily Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    What kind of a game is this? Xcom type?

13. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    Looking at the video, the game could fit on an iphone plus.

14. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Is it fair to criticize a game for crashing while running a beta version of an operating system (not entirely sure you are, but kind of comes across that way)?

Btw, how do you like your 10.5"?

15. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    I'm the guy that has it on my 6+. I haven't had loads of time with it, but I certainly would say the text is JUST on the touch too small side, though still I've seen other games just go with this on the iPhone for the sake of letting their fans have their way, at the possible detriment of their reviews unfortunately.

Like is said though, if you're ok with zooming in and out using the stock zoom function, then this game is doable. If they could tweak the text size like the way Baldur's gate does from the settings menu then this game would basically be sorted.

Early times with it for me. Gonna give some more when I get home later.

16. Makoto

Makoto Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2014
    Sometimes games just can be more demanding than they look like to be, I guess. There's the game named Siralim 2, which certainly doesn't look like something that demanding, but it just doesn't run on my old iPad 2…
    Of course, it'll be great if the devs would optimize their games for older device.

17. Reaganomics

Reaganomics Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Tons of important stats with small texts and tiny buttons? I'm kind of nervous about purchasing.

18. dukat111

Mar 23, 2010
    The criticism / feature request was font is too small / no scaling.

The crash was more of an FYI for the dev's. If they read this maybe it will get fixed sooner.
    Since running iOS11 beta I haven't had a single app crash in 2 months and this crashed 3 times and froze once in 30 minutes so I'm inclined to think it's a bug with the game more than the OS.

I LOVE the 10.5". I had the 12" and while great to look at it was too big to be portable (and heavy to hold while using), after a few months I barely used it.

The 10.5 is a great compromise between large screen and portability and combined with the smart keyboard cover fantastic. Since getting the keyboard I find myself using it for a lot more than just gaming. The improved color gamut screen and 120hz refresh is great. I often get buyers remorse, especially since I have a mini and the old 12 but no remorse this time, very pleased with the purchase... a little too pleased, I've been buying iOS games far faster than I can play them, getting a backlog I'll never clear.

iOS11 is fantastic too, the improvements are much more noticeable on iPads than phones. I think this is the best iOS update yet in terms of how it feels vs the predecessor. I just discovered that edit in photos has annotation options now, and when taking a screenshot it identifies it is a screenshot and automatically opens annotation tools.

19. zen_mode

zen_mode Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2015
    Sydney
    I'll be honest, I hardly ever buy iOS games as I've been perfectly content with playing a small handful of roguelikes for years, but I bought this game purely because of the art. I'm aware the actual mechanics have mixed reviews, but the developer deserves my $8 AUD for the art alone. I probably won't get as much hours out of it as Dream Quest, FTL or DCSS, but sometimes you just want to go for that sweet museum piece. Maybe I'll get a lot more replayability than I'm expecting, we'll see.

20. gmattergames

gmattergames Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2013
    That review is over a year old, and since then, game balance has been tweaked, and lower-difficulty levels implemented. His review is overly analytical, breaking the game down to it fundamental components, judging it based on its individual parts rather than the overall experience.

Furthermore the reviewer made it very clear, he is not a fan of turn-based combat, RNG, or excessive grind; all three the hallmarks of this game. I do agree with some of his points, specifically the risk/reward balance, where the only reward for risky play tends to be insanity or death.