iPad Darkest Dungeon (by Red Hook Studios)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by diffusion8r, Aug 24, 2017.

1. nkx

nkx Well-Known Member

May 9, 2015
    I went on a binge last night from 9 am to 2 am.
    My question is it worth to keep spending my gold on trying to reduce stress of my heroes or remove their quirks????

Some basic Stratford are welcomed I keep doing the ruins.

Other than that really love the game and glad I picked it up

2. TheIronBeagle

TheIronBeagle Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2016
    Hardcore gamer
    Gravity Falls
    A good strategy that I found useful early game is focusing on one group of heroes you feel are worth leveling up. After that, everyone is expendable. If they develop bad traits, dismiss them. If they are too expensive to cure, dismiss them. Recruiting people from the stage coach is free after all. A good strategy is to also upgrade the stagecoach, specifically the resolve level upgrade, as heroes who show up with resolve level 1 or higher will have all of their skills unlocked and upgraded to their resolve level, as well as weapon and armor upgrades corresponding to their level, saving you money in the long run. Damage over time is amazing in this game; nothing can cure it on an enemy, so if they have 2 hp left and are bleeding for 2, they will die no matter what they do. IIRC, ruins and cove are vulnerable to blight, while warrens and weald can be bled. If your heroes are getting super stressed out on runs, try bringing a Jester along.
    Hope this helps :)

3. RisingOne

RisingOne Member

Jan 10, 2014
    Hey guys, I have a question. Is it normal for this game to drain 18% of my battery in 22 minutes of play time? I am playing on an 9.7-inch iPad Pro.

4. lezrock

lezrock Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2010
    It sucks heavily on my iPad mini 4's battery. Got no numbers.

5. Bernzwong

Bernzwong Active Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 26, 2011
    Has anyone worked out what the name above the character selected screen before Provisions is?

Ie I have bounty hunter, houndmaster, arbelest, grave digger - and on top of them then the label text Firing Squad appears?

If I change one of them out for crusader the label text is gone?

6. TheIronBeagle

TheIronBeagle Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2016
    Hardcore gamer
    Gravity Falls
    The label text simply comes up whenever you create a certain party combo. Redhook added them as sort of an 'easter egg', and names are given to the parties that work particularly well together, or as a reference to something else e.g. "The usual suspects" is the name given to a Vestal-PD-HWM-Crusader composition as this is the first party comp possible in the game, and the "A-Team" is when you have an Arbalest-Antiquarian-Abomination-Man-at-Arms team (their names all start with A). The wiki has a complete list of all the possible party combos that have names, if you want to check it out. The team names have no effect on gameplay, and are mainly cosmetic.

7. daan_vb

daan_vb Member

May 1, 2013
    #267 daan_vb, Sep 15, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
    This game is amazing. So much strategy and dripping with atmosphere and immersion. It's brutal at times but so addictive. Missed my train stop a couple of times I've been so engrossed. But no matter. Gives me an excuse to carry on playing! I'm find stress the hardest to manage, it's maneagble when you have a jester and/or the hound master but otherwise it's a pricey affliction.

Also for some good beginner tutorials look up FilthyRobot on YouTube, he has some good ones

Linky: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLQFX9B_9L4-n9DFNDvFFLPCknaUGzmbeb

8. BlottoBrah

BlottoBrah Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2013
    US
    I liked the game, but difficulty was brutal for me, even on radiant (easy, i guess?). Once I looked up some guides & tutorials, it helped immensely. Now I love it. Definitely agree with others where you just fire characters in the beginning after missions. Maybe keep some that you liked.

Once some characters gain a level or two, I upgraded their weapon and armor by one level. I'm not even thinking about locking/ removing any of their quirks, unless its through a free event. I'm still trying to get the stage coach upgraded to crank out higher level heroes.

Many thanks to one of the posters who provided the link for the dungeon calculator. Helped me beat the necromancer mission with flying colors. It does wonders to get right provisions, and use the right items on the curios.

Also, don't forget to keep torch level above 75% if too hard. Lost about 5 weeks of missions not knowing the difficulty vs loot mechanic behind it.

9. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Ok the UI just officially pi$$ed me off and I've come here to vent. Was just getting started, earnt up to $25k gold and the trinkets shop was opened to me so I decided to take a look. All it freaking takes to buy a $25k trinket that only the highway man can use is a single freaking press on the trinket!! One slightly absent minded moment (is it really my fault or just some damn thoughtless UI implementation), and I just blew my earnings for the past half hour or so. One click, that's all it took. One click where I forgot it's usually a press and hold to view info. Effing wow. And then all I can do is sell it back for $3.5k. Wow.

Well looks like I've set myself a challenge to get out of.

10. BC1377

BC1377 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2016
    Hi, what device you're playing with?

11. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Actually playing it on my JB 6+. Before anyone starts up a must have stole rant, go back to around page 5 where I posted up my receipt.

Anyway, the device surely doesn't make the difference in this case. Throughout the UI a short or completely normal press that you would usually associate with bringing up an info box, in this game actually causes an action to happen. The trinket wagon has got to be the worst case where this can really bite.

12. BC1377

BC1377 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2016
    Emmm, i'm experiencing a different performance between my ipad air 1 and ipad air 2017, on ipad air 1 the game is stuttering a lot, but on ipad air 2017 the game run smoothly xD

13. subgenius

subgenius Well-Known Member

May 30, 2014
    He is totally correct about the one touch purchase at the trinket dealer. Actually its one touch press to buy all of the upgrades, so you do need to be careful about doing a hold-press to hover and see details and not just a quick tap. Using the apple pen helps a lot, but that's definitely not something that should be from design intent.

If they just added a confirmation window to trinket purchases (just like there is for trinket sales) it would totally clear up this issue.

In other news, I just finished the final battle last night, and wow what a crazy push to the end those last few dungeons were! There was a big difficulty spike when I started to do champion runs and I lost quite a few heroes, but once I figured out some better trinket combos and spend more cash making sure everyone was completely upgraded before going in, things got manageable. Tons of fun, but not sure I have the desire to punish myself with a stygian difficulty run...

14. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Yeah... the game's flaw is it being a port. Everything works great, but it requires a bit more polish in terms of the UI and user friendliness. Gameplaywise, this is legend-stuff.

Despite the flaws that came with being a port, 5/5 easy.

15. eugenemcardle

eugenemcardle Well-Known Member

May 21, 2013
    Retired, Math/Science Teacher, Air Force Electron
    Redcliffe Queensland Australia
    This is game of the year for me, along side the Baldurs Gate EE games, this are n my play list forever, or at least till I kick the bucket. Hopefully will have finished them by then ##

16. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    Nope, same here. I can export a file from my ipad and then use it in my pc version no problem. But trying to import a pc save from the dropbox to ipad doesn't work at all.

17. Saucepolicy

Saucepolicy Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Feb 18, 2009
    Crispy ex-game developer
    It works, but to import to your iPad, you have to let the app make the folder on Dropbox for you. If you create it yourself, the iPad version doesn't see files within. Here are some better instructions from Reddit:

1.Firstly, a Dropbox account is required. So if you don't have any, start by creating one.
    2.Start the app and touch the dropbox icon in the bottom-right corner of the main menu.
    3.Select Import.
    4.If you have the dropbox app, it will open and prompt you for permissions. Otherwise an internet browser will be opened prompting you for dropbox permissions. Either way, enter your dropbox details if required and accept.
    5.After doing this you should be brought back to the game, and a dialog should pop up Downloading data. It will not find anything, but after this first search a folder will have been created in your dropbox at Apps/DarkestDungeon.
    6.In your Mac or PC, fetch the saves you want to import. You will find them in one of these places:
    Non-Steam / GoG Galaxy
    - PC: C:\Users<username>\Documents\Darkest
    - Mac: /Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/Darkest
    Steam
    -On PC: \Steam\userdata<Steam User ID#>\262060\remote
    -On Mac: /Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/Steam/userdata/<Steam User ID#>/262060/remote
    7.Place them in the folder that was created in step 5.
    8.Once again, touch the dropbox icon in the main menu and select Import. After downloading cloud data (it may take several minutes depending on how many saves it is), the existing saves will be listed.
    Touch those you wish to import and then touch the "Copy" button.

18. IOSgamer1980

IOSgamer1980 Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2015
    I know it would be a bigly pain in the butt, but I'm really holding out hope for a universal update. I check this thread every time it climbs to page one of the forums hoping that "today's the day!"

My money's waiting!

19. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    I'll kick this can down the road with you some more...again.

I watched a PS Vita playthrough of this on YouTube on my phone and actually it was completely readable with no further zoom required....on a 6+. For whatever reason, the iPad UI ratios are smaller than that of the PS Vita version. Really wish they could've "just" universalised on iOS the PS Vita version.

20. aeschylus72

aeschylus72 Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2012
    It is funny, when I first played this game on PC I always thought, it looked and played like a tablet game, yet it has been released and seems to not be popular at all.... this thread made it all the way to page 7 with no replies....

Shows I should never be anywhere near the games industry as I clearly know sweet fa