Universal DARK - STAR (by Andrew Madden)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Eli, Nov 18, 2015.

1. skylined87

skylined87 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2014
    Sure thing my friend! Hope you enjoy it! #

2. Adsinjapan

Adsinjapan Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2013
    #22 Adsinjapan, Nov 19, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
    While the ships move smoothly enough, there's this odd "border" around the screen where you can move higher up but only if you push through it.
    The limits of movement need to be expanded in other words as many of the rings to fly through are slightly higher than the game allows.

Targeting reticles seem far too small for an iPhone. For the most part, I'm having to peer at the screen to see what's worth shooting and what isn't. For this kind of game, I'd rather see an auto file system or at leas a more efficient lock-on implemented.

When first playing the game, it drops me right into the game. If possible, the main menu should be the first thing that loads up to avoid unexpected drop ins.

I don't want to be too picky about this last point as its not really a bug, but...ehhh... The music doesn't quite work for me. It's a little lacking in rhythm at times and a little "midi-synth".
    Sorry. This kind of action is a little more deserving of music maybe found in the game 'Meltdown'.

But overall, I can see what you're trying to accomplish with this game and it looks very promising. I hope this helps some.

3. Andrew@TWLC

Andrew@TWLC Active Member

Jul 27, 2015
    Coffee Maker
    Here and there
    @Echoen and @Adsinjapan - Loads of nice points there folks, thanks! I really do appreciate the frank feedback. Currently working up my want / need list for the first update so all of this stuff is fantastic.

Thanks for that bug spot, it has been squashed :)

So far my record for areas was 16 ( I believe I had drunk a pot of coffee before hand though, so both space and time were naturally a little malleable)! I'd love to hear how far others are getting.

I'm not sure why you were dropped into the game straight away Adsinjapan - there should be a small into screen prompting you to hit play. I shall look into this as it could be another bug.

The music will is defiantly going to be tweaked over time (if for no other reason that I'm sick of hearing it already!).

:)

A.

4. Andrew@TWLC

Jul 27, 2015
    Coffee Maker
    Here and there
    That was super kind dude, thanks for sharing it :)

5. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    I'm enjoying this, but definitely would welcome a sensitivity slider and more variety in the environments. And also an auto fire option like Arc Squadron employs, firing directly at the target in front of you.

6. Andrew@TWLC

Jul 27, 2015
    Coffee Maker
    Here and there
    Hey Anthony, new environments (and the level variations for them) are on the todo list. I'm currently planning on adding 2/3 per update.

Are there any particular environments you'd like to fly though or locations you'd like to see?

7. skylined87

skylined87 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2014
    No problem! Thanks for sending it my way!

On the issue of the sensitivity slider and the auto-fire option, those are 2 things I would love to see implemented in the future if possible. As far as new environments, maybe an urban cityscape, a kind of Death Star trench level (you know, where Luke fires into the exhaust port), and a jungle or forest setting?

The game looks incredible though, you did a great job! ###

8. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    ^Were those issues brought up in beta?

9. Andrew@TWLC

Jul 27, 2015
    Coffee Maker
    Here and there
    @skylined87 - Thanks for those env suggestions, urban could be a fun one to play with :)

Give me a moment while I riffle through my notes... <papery crunching noises>

Things that were brought up by myself or players during the beta:

- Bugs - various function, crash and graphical glitches were caught and fixed.

- Player observation - Stats were collected so I could see how people played the game and these were used to help further my understanding of the players feedback.

- Movement Controls - There was a few issues with these during the beta, but they were mostly down to poor explanation of controls (and a few bugs). Sensitivity was only mentioned by one player.

- Shooting controls - lots of issues due to poor explanation. Once explained these issues seemed to go away for most users. The wording of the tutorial as such for all the controls were completely revamped.

- Barrel rolls - way too easy to initiate was the general consensus and thus the window for double tapping was toned down.

- Stuttering / lag / frame rate - apart from one instance, people seemed to get along without issue (iPhone 5s's / iPad 4's were reported running on high with no issues reported and one brave fellow got it running (just) on an ipod touch (the one with the same innards as an ipad2).

- Missions - More clear guidance / objectives were suggested and implemented.

- Economy - Everything was too expensive, so was toned down for release.

Tallying the various responses, a two people out right hated the game, most enjoyed what was there (with a few bits of tweaks n polish) and the rest had no issue at all (data was collected with the help of 47 players).

I hope that was the kind of thing you were looking for Exact-Psience. Lots of stuff was brought up and the folks that helped out were super kind to give their time to help polish things. Perhaps I should have invited more people to play (hundreds of good-looking people signed up) but as a one-man-band the logistics of talking with everyone just were just not manageable.

10. Andrew@TWLC

Jul 27, 2015
    Coffee Maker
    Here and there
    Hi folks - just a quick update.

DS is now out for Windows 10 (PC / phones / tablets / etc) - you can see it over at:
    https://www.microsoft.com/store/apps/9NBLGGGZ0LB2

It's the updated version of the app (the update is coming for iOS - just waiting on Apple's approval process) which has additional sensitivity settings, a new ship, Game Center button, bug fixes and some adjustments to the targeting. Hopefully the iOS version will get through QA before the new year (I'll drop a line here once the update is out).

A.

11. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    I can't wait. I want to really get into playing this game. Hopefully with the changes I'll be able to enjoy playing. Come on Apple!

Thank you dev for updating us here!

Billy

12. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    #32 LordShad0wz, Dec 19, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
    While I appreciate the sensitivity settings there's still no auto targeting or using the position of the ship to control the reticle. You still have to put both hands on the screen and in the way. It's simply not fun to play this way.

I guess I'll just keep waiting until I can really play.

Billy

13. Gurney Halleck

Gurney Halleck Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2012
    Telephony and Computer Network Engineering and Mai
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    @LordShadOwz, is it really 1 star bad for you as it is wth the controls? I have been on the fence, but really like the look and gameplay style otherwise. Trying to decide.

14. Andrew@TWLC

Jul 27, 2015
    Coffee Maker
    Here and there
    Hey folks - the update is out now.

@LordShad0wz the targeting should be a lot more forgiving - holding targets for longer before release. The problem with linking it to the ship would be you'd never be able to target while dodging obstacles. Apologies for it still not being to your taste.

@Gurney Halleck - if you are not sure about the mobile controls, the PC version is out where you can use keyboard / mouse if ya fancy that instead.

15. demod1

demod1 Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2012
    Are you still looking into MFI controls? There is a whole community out there just waiting to purchase new and gorgeous games like this as soon as the pop up on our MFI list! ###

16. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

I might just grab this for a dollar. Got a notification about the update and price drop. Looks cool.