Dark Raider – Sneak Peak (submitted to app store)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by RPGGuy, Feb 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    #41 RPGGuy, Mar 23, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2009
    As promised here are a couple of new gameplay videos:

[hqyoutube]9ZKlRrf_dEA[/hqyoutube]

[hqyoutube]ZLAKaAsHR6I[/hqyoutube]

2. Palfince

Palfince Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2008
    England
  3. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    Sorry made it public. The first one shows a full level walkthrough.

4. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Wow.

That was quick. :D

5. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    BTW, saw up to the first two minutes of the vid. Didn't need to see anymore.

*adds to "most anticipated upcoming iTouch/Phone games" list

Damn you developers.

You just want all my hard earned money, don't you? ;)

6. 21duc29

21duc29 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Student
    This looks exciting. If I get it I'd probably play one level at a time, I think I would get headaches from tilting the device (looking around). Look's great though.

7. inferi22

inferi22 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    payback controls wtf?

8. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    For now. I plan on changing them :) The outlines are actually taken from the shape of the app icon.

I am worried about screwing up this game, with a bad storyline. Need to work on that still :)

9. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    #49 RPGGuy, Mar 24, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2009
  10. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Hopefully there will be alternative non tilt controls.

11. jFND

jFND Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2009
    The game looks great, with the exception of the character's human face on the top right hand corner. I think it's unnecessary to add the guy's human face to the HUD, it just looks out of place. Maybe it should just be left out, it doesn't really enhance the game the way I see it, and really looks out of place. Adding a compass of some sort would be better.

Another thing is the Payback control scheme..Don't really like it; but it's definitely tolerable. I just want this game to stand out more, have it's own control scheme. Because I think this game has immense potential, and I just want it to be the best that it can be. Well, with that being said, all the best and I look forward to purchasing this game!

12. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    The face reacts to what you're doing. The eyes move left and right depending on the tilt, looks angry when you're shooting, and gets bloodier when you're closer to death. It gives a bit more personality to the character which I think is a nice touch considering you only see the top of the character in the game itself.

The images used for the controls have been redone to a darker theme with skulls around the edges. I've also added dpad controls so you can play the game without tilting or rotating the camera.

I'm finishing up the levels now. There's going to be 64 in total. I was planning for more but decided to break it up into episodes. If the game is a hit I'll immediately start working on part 2 :)

13. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    Just wanted to let you know that the game is finished and has been submitted. I hope it goes through Apple's testing on the first try. It's my most ambitious title yet, and took 4 months to build.

For those worried about the control scheme, you can use either accelerometer or virtual joystick, swap the side of the screen the joystick and action buttons are, change the opacity of the controls (invisible if you want), and it automatically switches orientation as previously mentioned.

The story is a scientist invents a way to travel to parallel worlds and discovers a hidden world between worlds, where the gods locked the secrets of immortality in a box. You have to travel through time and space to different locations and retrieve the soul keys, which let you unlock the gates placed by the gods.

The game has 64 progressively difficult levels spread across 8 locations. There is a lot of variety of the level design including a castle, arena, library, hotel, forests, mazes, tombs, pyramids, forests etc. Overall there is around 10 hours of gameplay, and 3 difficulty levels (easy, normal, and insane!)

The game has some humour and inside jokes, for instance you'll find notes left by famous treasure hunters of film and video game history although they don't make it as far as you. You may also find where I was caught inside the game trying to advertise iFishing and Blue Skies and they threw me in the tiger's cage. Another instance you'll find a grave of an unknown boy who was sucked into a wormhole and got stuck in the game.

Some technical features:
    Full 360 degree movement (not like some games where you can only move north, south, east or west)
    3D immersive sound
    10 song soundtrack
    Custom software based dynamic lighting for unlimited lights
    Enemies include bats, beetles, gladiators, snakes, spiders, giant worms, fireballs, spinning blades, and spike traps.
    Weapons include pistol, shotgun, grenades, flame thrower, rocket launcher, fireballs, spinning blades. You can also use movable boulders to crush enemies.

I hope you guys enjoy the game. I think it's a lot of fun and it's the kind of action game I've been wanting on iphone.

14. salsamd

salsamd Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Nov 1, 2008
    San Francisco, CA
    Wow!!

Price?

Mb size?

final build video?

15. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    45 mb, $7.99.

I'm working on a trailer now. I hope they accept it with red blood. If they don't I'll have to make new footage :)

Tomorrow I'll post some newer screenshots and maybe a new gameplay video.

16. 21duc29

21duc29 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Student
    Eight is pretty high.. no "on sale" deal? I am still interested in getting it but a little high for me.

17. jFND

jFND Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Sounds great on paper, and I can't wait to play it based on the videos.

18. dawxxx666

dawxxx666 Active Member

Looks really interesting, waiting to get my hands on it.

19. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Looks really good. I am very interested in it. But at $8 I will wait for reviews and initial impressions by users here once it comes out.

Good luck with it!

20. Ravenblack

Ravenblack Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Singapore
    I'm interested too. I like games like this. But 7.99 is kinda steep for something new without a lite version to try first. Will there be a lite version?