Dark Raider – Sneak Peak (submitted to app store)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by RPGGuy, Feb 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    I didn't like the Payback control scheme very much, and this looks like a complete rip-off. I just really don't like it.

As for the actual gameplay... I've got mixed feelings.

2. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    How would it be better?

3. DHrox

DHrox Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    College Student
    Baltimore, MD
    Something similar to Paradise or iDracula would be nice, just w/o the aiming mechanism, as that probably would be pointless, except for arrows or aiming spells.

4. Mhans13

Mhans13 Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    Personally i think the controlls are fine as you have them. Your thumbs are going to be covering them up anyway, its pretty doubtful that while playing they will really take away from the experience. And personally i cant stand the weight that people put on the visuals of a game in deciding how good it is. While beautiful graphics (as your game has) does enhance the experience, if the gameplay is solid, then graphics really dont matter and little buttons on the side of the screen wont make a difference. Oh and why does everyone demand a 3d view in their games? A 3d view would not change the gameplay at all. all it would do is require a much more complicated control scheme. I can understand this with payback, cuz everyone loves gta 4, but a game like this? Just a bad idea, deffinitly keep the top down view you got now.

5. DHrox

DHrox Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    College Student
    Baltimore, MD
    I agree. Isometric is the classic view of RPGs. Love it!

6. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    Well there is no way I would change it to 3D, because I wouldn't be able to do as detailed 3D models. The frame rate would be slower and it's already lower than I'd like. The controls are actually a very minor thing compared to getting all the gameplay elements in there.

The levels will be well thought out, not something like iDracula that basically has nothing to interact with. There will be signs that you can read along the way, giving you a storyline and some hints from other adventurers that didn't quite make it.

7. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Agreed with the 3D view, but graphics does make it better. I mean if the gameplay is already solid, why not improve the graphics and get the best of both worlds? You yourself said that it enhances the game, so how can it not make a difference?

And the problem with the buttons is that they look like they were created in MSPaint and slapped on the game and clashes with the art of the game. Although I'm sure those are placeholders.

8. tosui

tosui Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    I'm a big fan of Blue Skies, and this looks even better, given the extended range of gameplay types. Control-wise, I don't think that on-screen is necessary - it's fine, but I agree that the rounded squares look like a place holder (which they may be?).

One qualm I have, from an IxD point of view: your game play is such that the player is always travelling to the top of the screen. This is fine, but then you put the choice of weapons right where our eyes are constantly looking for the next enemy/obstacle/etc. Worse, when you want to switch weapons (usually at critical moments, no less) you cover a large part of the screen with your thumb just to reach the button!

I would really suggest either making a single button in the upper left that cycles through (a la Zombieville USA), or simply moving all the buttons as they currently are to the bottom of the screen, which really doesn't seem to be a critical section anyway.

Looking forward to it!

9. TRIPLE BEAM DREAM

TRIPLE BEAM DREAM Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Door County
    Looks really good. I would have to agree with spiffyphone on the button layout, because it looks congested. So many quality games coming out, wish there was a way to add more than 9 pages.

10. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    I don't think going the iDracula (ugh that name still sucks) route is valid anyway. That's an action game, and judging from the video this game is an action/adventure in the vein of Atari 2600 Adventure (even the first action/adventure game is labeled incorrectly :rolleyes:) and Legend of Zelda. I think the way it is now is fine, but I'd still rather the hotspots with opacity idea that I came up with. It's more...elegantly designed than the onscreen buttons currently in use.

11. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    I like the idea of the controls visible when you're not moving after 5 seconds and then fading out when you're doing stuff.

12. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Nice pun :D

13. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Another suggestion. The up/ down direction buttons on the right side? How about you make it so you don't have to take your fingers off the screen to switch to the next button. Just simply slide it. Like the control wheel in iDracula, it will keep you knowing what you are pressing simply by looking at what your character is doing. You don't lose any oreintation by moving your finger off the screen.

Or you can combine this with the hotspot idea so that you slide your finger back and forth between the upper right quadrant (UP) and the lower right quadrant (DOWN) instead of taking your finger off one and lacing it down on the other. That way you subconsciously are away what you are pressing without getting distracted. You know in what corner of the screen your thumb is, and you are looking at your character all the time.

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=5657

14. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    You can already slide your finger over the buttons. I worked on a new multitouch tracking system that keeps track of every finger and then checks if any of the touches are over a button.

I moved the weapon icons to the bottom and it works well.

Another control option is to not rotate the camera. Have a directional pad and rotate the character in the direction you're pressing. If this works ok I'll make both options available (why not?) :)

15. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Sound good.

16. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    So what happened to this game? Last time I heard from this dev he was hating really hard on iDracula, talking all kinds of shit.

Has the game made any progress?

17. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    There has been lots of progress....

I've added moving puzzle blocks, gates and switches, 5 of the levels and different tilesets for each one, spinning blades, spike traps, main map level that lets you visit other sub levels, character's face on the hud that reacts to what's going on and where you're looking (similar to Doom), moved the weapons buttons to the bottom.

It's coming along great. I'm doing some modifications to iFishing right now but when that's done I'll be back working on Dark Raider.

Maybe tomorrow I'll make a new video :)

18. 21duc29

21duc29 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Student
    This game looks pretty good. I read the pages and I don't seem to have a problem with the controls but would be nice not to see it. I don't think I would pay six to eight dollars on this though, maybe three to four dollars.

19. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Personal preference.

An option could be available to switch the directions with the item usage buttons (so you can have directions on the left side and item buttons on the right).

Yeah...that's possible even with the hotspots idea. And something that should've been an option in Blue Skies, btw.

BTW, to the dev:

This game, like Blue Skies, plays in landscape, right?

I do hope you've included a screen orientation toggle option. While I'm comfortable playing the game using the default orientation in landscape, I'm using an iPod touch, and iPhone users will not be comfortable as their device has its headphone jack placed differently. When playing Blue Skies, for instance, which is played in landscape, the headphone jack on the iPod touch winds up on the top right hand side, which is great. Very comfortable. But on an iPhone, the headphone jack when playing that same game sticks out of the bottom left hand side, which is most uncomfortable.

Solution?

An option to toggle screen orientation. In other words, screen flip. That way iPhone users can flip the landscape mode "upside down", which for them would actually place it "right side up", taking into account the differences in iPod touch's and iPhone's headphone input placement.

BTW...if you ever get around to updating Blue Skies again, screen flip needs to be an option. Again, I'm fine with it as is, but that's because I'm an iPod touch owner. I can't see how iPhone users are comfortable playing that game when using headphones. So for those folks, screen flip option please. I know how frustrating it is when the shoe is on the other foot (iDracula has the opposite issue: the current landscape orientation is hell for iPod touch owners) and I'd hate for iPhone users to not be able to get maximum enjoyment out of your games. Blue Skies is a favorite of mine on this platform.

20. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    #40 RPGGuy, Mar 23, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2009
    I actually created this video this morning before you posted this. The flipped screen has been taken care of...

[hqyoutube]hJPbvHJrV_M[/hqyoutube]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJPbvHJrV_M

I could add also this to Blue Skies in the next update.