Universal Dark Meadow (by Phosphor Games Studio)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by D3adly, Oct 5, 2011.

1. julzsantana15

julzsantana15 Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    Michigan
    Ok, thanks,

2. whatevax

whatevax Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    Yeah, it will be $5.99 in US store. I almost hit the buy button until I heard the possibility of on-rail game system... I hope it will feature explorable world though... waiting for impression :D

3. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Echoseven said that it was a point and click adventure, so i think its exactly like IB, but I need confirmation...

4. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    #24 Echoseven, Oct 5, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
    So I've posted stuff a bit earlier but here are specific answers:
    It's quite a lot like a point and click game with a pretty fleshed out exploration element. You move around from "scene" to scene, fixed on the spot but with free look in all directions. Occasionally enemies show up and you get to fight them while rooted to the spot.
    This is where the Infinity Blade element kicks in - first you shoot the enemy from afar as they shoot you back and walk closer. You have a dodge at this point, but they do too so it keeps things interesting. Pretty soon they get closer and you will swap out to a melee weapon. Now you have a block as well as a dodge and you attack by swiping on screen like IB. There are combos too, but so far they haven't been explained and I stumbled across them accidentally.

The dodge itself is interesting as well - you have an arrow either side of the screen and you dodge in the direction you press. Enemies will attack all points randomly, both in melee and ranged. When in melee though, you will need to read the monsters' movement and dodge in the right direction or you'll dodge into their attack and get hit anyway. It works out to be pretty fun over all.

Also now that the initial "hory sheet" has worn off I can speak a bit more clearly about the game: exploration is very much encouraged but so far it has been fairly linear and limited by a few locked doors which can only mean backtracking. I'm very early into the game at this point, so don't read too much into that just yet.

Edit: bolded the part everyone wants to know.
    Edit2: Because I love you guys I stopped playing long enough to track down a similar game to show how this one plays. Amerzone for those who played it has a similar movement mechanic, though it's a lot more refined and straightforward in Dark Meadow.

5. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    ^Thanks

Hmmm i may give this a miss. I prefer good old fashioned shooting like Rage (which is also on rails). Perhaps i'm in the minority but i never got into Infinity Blade with the swiping etc, just want a normal fire button.

Swiping to dodge/shoot, hmm doesnt sound like my cup of tea. Think i'll pass, does look amazing graphically though

This could be the first week since Feb (when i first got my device) that i dont buy a game. Terrible week (bar this biggie) for releases, oh well

6. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    #26 Gabrien, Oct 5, 2011
    So it would appear on the one hand you have:

Limited interactivity.
    IAP
    ~2 gig of space requirement.

On the other:

Very pretty graphics.

Certain to be a massive hit then.

7. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    I'm actually finding this the third week in a row with little to nothing to get excited about. I may even do the unthinkable and get back to finishing some older games.

8. dinoeggs777

dinoeggs777 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2011
    Didn't realize this had come out. Lol. But I don't think i'll be getting it. Saving my money for infinity blade 2, since they seem kind of similar. And Infinity blade will be better, just because it's infinity blade. I'll wait for more impressions before I make my final decision though.

9. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Some positives to add:
    Pretty interesting combat (debatable)
    Very aesthetically pleasing game
    So far a pretty interesting fully voice-acted story told by a great voice actor.
    Of course, very pretty.

Do you guys have any specific questions? I'll be avoiding any spoilers so don't ask about things like story.

10. Buffy6

Buffy6 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2010
    How hard is it to learn the controls? Did it seem like you needed to dodge a lot to not die like in Infinity Blade? Is there more than one boss? Or just the last one the developers mentioned already?

11. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    #31 Echoseven, Oct 5, 2011
    The controls are straightforward, but take some skill to pull off - mostly in the ranged part of combat. You manually aim and a headshot rewards a crit so either you settle for a hit or miss a lot (even I do that).

I'm still very early in the game but dodging doesn't seem mandatory to survive, but it's pretty easy to pull off anyway. I can imagine later you'll need to dodge, but by then you won't have a problem so it's no big deal. Again, I haven't gotten far enough to encounter a boss but there are different enemies - a light and fast one that shoots you before coming close and a big heavy one that lumbers close and bashes your face in. Those are the archetypes though, there are at least 2 variations on the formula that I've seen so far.

Edit: hah, NOW I see a definite point of comparison to Infinity Blade.
    "You are not yet ready..."

Edit2: essentially, this is a lot like Infinity Blade but more. The end goal and path are basically the same, but damn the story is amazingly good so far. There are differences to the gameplay too, so I wouldn't consider this a copy/clone/whatever. It's more like they're similar in spirit and destination, but the journey is damn good on this side of the field.

12. Pacificsun0481

Pacificsun0481 Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    You're gonna save for 2 months to earn 7 dollars?

Silly :p

13. spidey

spidey Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2010
    India
    Passing a game today to save money for a game coming two months later? I am sure you can find other ways to save around 5-10 dollars in two months?

14. dinoeggs777

dinoeggs777 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2011
    Hey, seven bucks is a lot for me :p
    But I'll buy this if it goes on sale

15. Pacificsun0481

Pacificsun0481 Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    Fair enough :p

16. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

#36 Sanuku, Oct 5, 2011
    First 30. Minutes of Gameplay:

Part A (15.Minutes into the Game):

Part B (30.Minutes into the Game):

Already uploading the next 30.Minutes of Gameplay to Youtube. As already some of you have guessed this Game seem to be huge and i am already have seen 60. Minutes of the Game and it still feel like i have only played the tip of the Iceberg if you compare it to Games like Infinity Blade or similar other Games in that Genre.

Also i have seen so far more Story then Infinity Blade + Infinity Blade II do have in the first Gameplay Hour so i can easily say that this Game is worth every $ it does cost and should be that Way also judged.

Looking forward for the Review of TouchArcade since i am wondering how the Guys will compare it with other Games on the iOS Plattform.

Before someone goes Crazy:

The first 30. Minutes doesn`t spoil to much of the Game. You just get to know the Basic of the Game and a little bit of the Story.

No Cliffhanger(!) in the first 30. Minutes.

17. WCFields

WCFields Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2009
    steel worker
    #37 WCFields, Oct 5, 2011
    Thanks for sharing sanuku

18. Maniacfive

Maniacfive Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Phone Sales
    Kent, UK
    You could have pretty much said the same thing about Pac-Man back in the day.

Limited Interactivity - move in only four directions? Check

IAP - 10p for three lives? Ouch! Check

Requires an Arcade Cabinet, a large space requirement. Check.

Pretty, colourful graphics amazing for their time. Check.

If a game is fun, none of those things matter. IAP is not always a precursor to having no fun.

19. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

#39 Sanuku, Oct 5, 2011
    Part C: (45.Minutes into the Game)

Part D: (60.Minutes into the Game)

Next 45. Minutes already being uploaded to Youtube. All at all i am already 120. Minutes into the Game and it get`s only better and better. I will do now a recording for the IAP so those who have asked me for it will finally saw what it is all about since i have left it so far to don`t spoil any "Names" that those Weapons might show up.

20. sugimulm

sugimulm Well-Known Member

Thanks Sanuku, you rock!!!!