Dark Horse App - Every Star Wars Comic $300; 30k pages over 20 year era

Discussion in 'Price Drops, Must-Have Freebies, and Deals' started by undeadcow, Dec 27, 2014.

1. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #1 undeadcow, Dec 27, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2014
    For $300, until 1/1/15, you can buy ALL Dark Horse published Star Wars comics (28,000 pages; 550+ items - many multi-issue collections) amounting to an overall 88% discount (initial asking price is ~$2,700). These are accessible by Dark Horse digital's website or for download via their iOS app.

[​IMG]

Deal: https://digital.darkhorse.com/profile/5400.star-wars-farewell-megabundle/

2. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    My wife would shoot me.

3. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    My wife just glowers at me and gives me the stink-face when I run up my comicals budget for the month...or two...or three...

4. Woodrith

Woodrith Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2014
    Hooaah
    Outerbounds
    Well I have no wife that will be mad at me, single life and purchase on pay day! :D

5. xraydash

xraydash Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2012
  6. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    Death if I buy.
    No comics if I don't....
    WHY IS LIFE SO HARD!

7. Lavender

Lavender Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2013
    United States
    Please don't get upset at me. I am very curious and I just want to understand.
    Dark horse is for DIGITAL products; right?

So this deal for $300.00 is for a collectable set (although very large, admittedly) of digital comic books.

For those into comic books, is this actually a great deal?
    I mean... you can't hold the paper in your hands. Or, smell the ink. Or appreciate the value if you need to re-sell one because you are experiencing hard times.

I love purchasing virtual books online, because I read it and then I don't have to worry about disposing of it or finding someone to give or donate to. But, if it's a book that I know I will want to reference over & over again, I purchase a hard copy.

But, I assume, that those that purchase this kind of deal, are collectors.

What is the advantage?

One of the reasons I ask, is because I know someone who is crazy into comics. LOL
    I am getting ready to give him a birthday present. (not $300.00 though! He he. Way to much for my pocket book!)
    But; I don't know if it's better to get him a gift certificate to the local comic book shop or to a digital place like dark horse.
    And; like I said, I am curious. Why would someone, that is really into comic books, want to spend $300. on digital/virtual comics?

Thanks so much for your help!

8. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    It's a great deal. I used to buy lots monthly. Each one was about $5 each or the special omnibus books were about $12

So to get all the Star Wars books at a 88% discount is amazing

Basically dark horse lost the license after many years when Disney bought Str wars as naturally the new comics will be done by marvel (who Disney owns)

So from 1st jan you can't buy these from Dark horse. If you do buy this bundle you can read them via the dark horse app whenever you want as they'll be stored under your account

I have many of these already but for a newbie this deal is incredible

9. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #9 undeadcow, Dec 29, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
    Although comic books seem like an especially tactile medium it is really convenient to have fingertip access to numerous quantities of "books" in digital format often at prices unbeatable in physical medium (digital has more frequent sales) without having to sort through cardboard boxes to find say Infinites #1 in the mix. The pages dont fade or get torn either. I'm not sure there is a lot of appreciable resale value in the majority of physical comics and that's a big game to play for an occassional payoff.

Comixology, now owned by Amazon, is a good choice for digital comics and some are DRM free. However for someone into physical books I wouldnt buy a digital gift card without knowing first.

10. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #10 undeadcow, Dec 29, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
    I browsed through the first Marvel era omnibus and depite being a bit dated it wasn't bad; more text than modern issues seem to have but a nice timecapsule. Seemingly epic deal at less than $0.25 per issue.
    I will be in the "dog house"... with tons of reading material.

11. Trevor

Trevor Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    I'm a lifelong collector who never thought he'd give digital the time of day. I love the look and feel and physical comic books.

But after trying digital a year or two back, I'm hooked. They look even better, crisp and clear, with great zooming capability. And best of all, you can carry your entire collection with you and it takes up no space.

And $300 for a thousand books is probably the best deal of the year.

12. Lavender

Lavender Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2013
    United States
    Thank you psj3809 and undeadcow for your explanations which were very helpful.