Dark Hill vs. Silent Hill

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by gekkota, May 28, 2009.

1. gekkota

gekkota Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    I am a big fan of Silent Hill, and have played all games on the pc/consoles, except for the iPhone game. I have looked at the youtube videos for both Dark Hill and Silent Hill...and from the videos, it looks like Dark Hill is what Silent Hill should have been.

It just looks so much more polished than Silent Hill, and the shooting isn't the cheap :rolleyes: tap-to-shoot style (which is basically what prevented me from buying SH.)

I am interested in hearing what people who have played both games think.

2. Phi6

Phi6 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    I havent played dark hill, but to me, resident evil is what silent hill should have been.

3. meder87

meder87 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Product Development Manager
    In the world of iOS
    I haven't played either. Silent Hill looks like a crummy quick put together by Konami to sell the game. Some people liked it or thought it was scary. If your fan of the series I think you'll be severely disappointed. Dark Hill I don't know much about it except for the video released when it first came out and the pics. There appears to be a new update. It looks as though this game had thought put into it and wanted to create the experience of Silent Hill. If I had to choose between the 2, i'd go with Dark Hill.

4. Manathilian

Manathilian Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2009
    I've purchased and played both the Silent Hill app and the Dark Hill app. I myself am a huge fan of the Silent Hill game series and I was very excited when I discovered the Silent Hill app in the app store. However, the gameplay and atmosphere fell rather short of my expectations for the series. You basically just feel your way through a series of repetitive mazes to find a key to progress to the next repetitive labyrinth while avoiding or killing any enemies you encounter. It was a rather bland experience seeing that you never stumbled upon any unique area throughout any of the levels - just the same old maze of corridors.

The Dark Hill app on the other hand, has been a much more "Silent Hill-ish" experience in my opinion (especially with the new update). Not only do you get a first-person survival horror game for just a buck, you actually get variety in level design. Hooray! It's not just some maze of uniform corridors, it's a multitextured and well designed series of levels!! The new soundtracks also do an excellent job of setting a Silent Hill-ish atmosphere and actually do so more effectively than the Silent Hill app's narrow choice of Akira Yamaoka's masterpieces.

Overall, Dark Hill is a much more "Silent Hill-ish" app than the Silent Hill app itself and is also alot cheaper too. I highly recommend it over the official SH app.

5. gekkota

gekkota Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Thanks--I appreciate your opinion! It sounds like Dark Hill is what I have been looking for. It will keep me busy until Resident Evil has a price drop (but I'm not holding my breath on that happening anytime soon!)