iPad Dark Gate by Kemco / Kotobuki

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Vovin, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Melanosol

Melanosol Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2012
    England
    You unlock them from the guild quests when you first unlock each town.

2. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Element based attacks are gained by leveling up elemental jobs... Once you complete the basic job classes you can move onto the Tier 1 classes. Once you level up those jobs, you can go into the skills menu. And assign the elemental skills learned from leveling those elemental job classes... Higher Tier jobs give you stronger elemental spells. Good luck!

3. Ven

Ven New Member

Oct 22, 2012

I was able to kill the dark mask in 1 attack. You simply get one member proficient in both wind and ice magic, select one of those classes and add the other so that you can carry both glacier (or whatever the best ice magic is called) and ultra wind, you then wait for that character to have to red skill orbs (which allows you to select 2 attacks), obviously you select both the strong wind and ice attack, and bam! Said character casts diamond dust x causing 5k damage and you win. Your welcome.

4. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Yeah where was your smart ass 3 days ago.

Look for thanks elsewhere.

5. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    In other news, after the game clicked, I'm now working on destroying gate 15 or so, and everything's going smoothly. There were some bosses that would take elemental damage, but I had every one of my characters at Tier 3 warrior classes, so when I reached them I just switched my skills up and made sure not to have any elemental weapons (if I did, the magic was reflected back to me...) - but yeah, I'd have to say that Dark Gate might just be moving ahead of FC as my favorite Kemco title. =oD

6. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    #106 awp69, Oct 23, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
    This probably is a deep, well thought out game. Guess it's just too time consuming for me with the learning curve. I did what E-P suggested and planted myself by a healing orb and was able to do some grinding to level up but even that was slow going. And anytime I ran into a slug or grasshopper, I always find myself having to flee doing zero damage.

Still think this could have used a better method of easing you into things. Never played an RPG that was punishing without a decent tutorial or some better tips as you progress. Mind you that I don't mind hard games -
    I love Dark Souls on the 360, which granted doesn't have much to learn as much as it's hard as nails.

I know this probably is the best of the Kemco games. Guess with my gaming habits, I don't have the time to sink into learning a deep system.

One of these days if I ever have time, I'll give it another go. Right now I just get more frustration than fun playing it. So I've got plenty of other games, including other RPGs that I can play.

7. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Yeah, there's been more than a few RPGs released lately. Been great for fans of the genre. =oD

8. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Feel like a wimp giving up on this, but as mentioned, I've got such little time to game these days, I'd rather spend it enjoying something like even Epic Hearts and all the non-RPG games that I've been grabbing lately. All good for a quick jaunt.

Still, I have no doubt this is a good game. Do you not agree that it could have had a better way of going about helping you learn the system? Maybe I'm just brain dead, but seeing that others struggled at first, I think there could have been a little more hand-holding at first. Especially when you're getting your ass handed to you so early -- and that's really the only thing I fault this game for. I can tell it's well-polished and a lot of effort went into game design. Just maybe not on how the game progresses early on.

9. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    No I completely agree. A better way of explaining the job and perk system in-game, or even an in-depth help section would have been a great addition.

That's probably my biggest complaint about Dark Gate... How you're pretty much just tossed into it all.

10. Rokrdude

Rokrdude Well-Known Member

May 14, 2011
    #110 Rokrdude, Oct 23, 2012

So does this imply that I need to complete each Job in tier 0 and tier 1 for each character for the character to gain element based skills which would mean I need to do warrior type jobs as well for my pure mage characters.Strange because normally I would look at the skills the character would gain by completing the jobs

Also are some jobs unlocked by doing 2 or 3 lower tier jobs.Can anyone give an example

11. slkllr

slkllr New Member

Oct 23, 2012
    the element based jobs are unlocked as you progress through the story and obtain specific items - usually from quests or from a boss

[​IMG]

all the ones in orange you need items to unlock - (disclaimer: the chart probably isn't 100% correct)

it gets way easier after the first few hours - and it's not horrendously long, maybe 10-12 hours all up? but its definitely pretty repetitive and oddly enough not equipping any weapons + the passive skill brawl produces the highest attack stat :S (at high levels)

12. Rokrdude

May 14, 2011
    Thanks a lot for that

I have unlocked every job in tier1 except the orange ones.
    Does this imply that I have not completed certain quests
    Till now I have defeated 5 dark gates and completed certain quests but still not got any of the orange ones

I didn't knew about the quests earlier and defeated the 1+ 4 dark gates before acquiring any quest.Could that be the problem.Also am I right to assume that any character can unlock any classes and choosing the character for your party doesn't matter at all?

13. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I think this is the best Kemco RPG for me. On the downside, the characters are a bit imbalanced as some of them just deals no damage at all. Take 2 physical damage dealers on the same level with different classes for example. One of them (e.g. archer class) deals no damage to most enemies unless using a skill, while the other one, monk or warrior type, just kills everything in a single hit.

The job system is superb, but i wish there was better class balance.

14. slkllr

slkllr New Member

Oct 23, 2012
    #114 slkllr, Oct 23, 2012
    yup from what i can tell character choice has no real impact on classes except the character's gender (rofl)

only males can be bards and warriors while females can become dancers

(last edit i promise!) the element tomes come from the first round of quests - kill 5 (monster name) from each town

when you get the chance master the chaser class if only for the mug skill - it's an attack+steal which you can use to replace your normal attack skill and realllly helps with the coin/silver/mithril quests - and stealing lets you get double the holy beads (they unlock the special classes)

15. Rokrdude

May 14, 2011
    #115 Rokrdude, Oct 23, 2012
    That did the trick.I had not completed any quests before the 1st 5 gates And I didn't go back to the initial areas

Ok thanks again that clears up a lot of things:)

They should add more info about classes in help

16. Melanosol

Aug 5, 2012
    England
    Personally I found my best physical damage came from dual-wielding swords. Sadly I didn't play with them earlier on, but I also discovered near the end that projectiles are absolutely awesome!

17. clavon

clavon New Member

Oct 24, 2012
    Anyone know how to kill the metal slugs and the rest of the monster in mithril mine!?

18. Melanosol

Aug 5, 2012
    England
    Far as I can tell you can't. Tried many combinations but in the end I deferred to what the civilians alluded to; mug/steal then ditch.

19. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Yeah, the slugs and some kind of grasshopper seem nearly impossible to kill.

20. picohero

picohero Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2012
    Use long swords. They let you actually do damage