iPad Dark Gate by Kemco / Kotobuki

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Vovin, Oct 16, 2012.

1. MagusDiablo

MagusDiablo Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2012
    English Teacher
    RPG Eve of the Genesis is 0.99 cents as well. I don't know if this is a good game, but I'm buying it to try the game ^^

2. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Yeah, I've been talking to Kemco for the last year or so, and I know Symphony of Origin is coming... Dunno about AA or Alphadia 2, but I wouldn't be surprised to see em hit in 2013.

3. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Best "looking" would probably be Fantasy Chronicle, but that's really not a fair way to judge an RPG since many go for the retro 8-bit style.

In this case, it just happens that IMO Fantasy Chronicle probably was my favorite anyway -- storywise, gameplay and all.

Played a bit of this and seems good, but story-line at least so far seems more generic than other Kemco games. It's difficult to have a somewhat original story with an RPG these days (think probably the first Ash beats Kemco's games storytelling/writing wise).

But I've still enjoyed all of the Kemco games I've played. The translation is usually good, which is also a plus in this genre.

4. Themagicjesus

Themagicjesus Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2012
    Buying thanks to Sanuku.

Always a fan of massive job systems and all that. Will post impressions tomorrow

5. picohero

picohero Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2012
    Must buy..... Sunday, I'll get a card Sunday. Kemco you made me the happiest kid around.
    God bless this past week:)

6. strivemind

strivemind Well-Known Member

How easy is the combat? A huge job system is pointless if you're only using basic attacks or the auto-combat.

7. Hambo12

Hambo12 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    on the internet
    Just think of this game like final fantasy dimensions... But not as good, but still great game for Japanese rpg fans.

8. DCver3

DCver3 Member

Jun 22, 2012
    That would be 16 bit good sir.

9. patch732

patch732 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2010
    U.S.
    Whats the IAP for? Don't recall seeing that in the other Kemco games.

10. _syd

_syd Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2012
    Italy
    Does anyone know if this works on Iphone 3G? I saw their other games have written that they won't run correctly on Iphone 3G, but Appstore still let me download them. I need an answer please, if I buy this is only for playing it on the 3G on train rides!

11. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Yeah, this is the first Kemco game I've seen that has IAP, and it's for premium items that can only be purchased with Dark Gate Points - Experience Gain, Job Points Gain, Gold Gain, Item Drop %+, Steal %+, Enemy%+, Movement Speed+, Hard Difficulty and a bunch of premium equip items.

DGP are;

400 = $0.99
    1250 = $2.99
    2100 = $4.99
    4500 = $9.99

I haven't received any DGP in-game, so I'm thinking they're only available through IAP, and though they aren't needed to complete the game, having that Hard Difficulty available would be nice...

Hopefully some DGP are added to your save once you complete the game, since there's so many characters to choose from, all influencing the ending/multiple endings giving the game replay value... it'd be nice to be able to have a couple points to unlock it after completing the game once.

Then again... the 'official' price for Dark Gate is going to be $6.99 instead of the usual $8.99 that other Kemco titles are... so they have lowered the price because of it...

still kinda sucks.

12. robbmx77

robbmx77 Member

Aug 15, 2012
    A must buy!!! Specially at that price . I already bought 5 of their games and they're pretty cool

13. Themagicjesus

Themagicjesus Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2012
    I have only been through a couple areas but even with the speedy autocombat it is simple to issue battle commands, although its a bit slower if you want to have each of your guys doing different special attacks on different enemies.

Also setting your abilities was something I didn't know how to do so it took me a while before I realized you had to go to skills and set them to a direction. Again, will post a more difinitive review once I get some sleep but so far I am very very impressed.

Very little typos makes for better character development as well ;)

14. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    k... is it just me, or is there a CRAZY amount of grinding required in order to progress through the game? Either that, or else I'm fleeing a lot...

I've changed jobs, made sure all of my characters are equipped with armor and weapons, as well as skills, and I'm still just getting my ass handed to me even after a pretty significant amount of grinding (all of my characters are at level 10 except for my 4th tag along who's at level 8) and I'm still having a hard time getting through some of the first areas without having to exit and stay at an inn a crazy amount of times...

=o/

What am i missing here?

15. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Hmmm...knowing you've probably played through every single Kemco game this concerns me. I haven't had much of a chance to play yet but these impressions along with the fact that there's IAPs required for certain purchases is not a good sign.

I should add that I did have a pretty early battle in which all but one of my party members died. Never remember that occuring that early in one of their games.

16. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    I guess I should add that I've tried bringing potions into dungeons as well, and I've found them to be a total waste of $$. =o/

17. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Yeah. Reading yours and SV's comment is a little concerning. I have already bought the game because of the sale, but havent had the chance to play it yet.

18. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    sorry guys... really hope it's just something I'm not getting. =o/

19. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Played this some more and it seems so unbalanced that it's almost unplayable. If their plan is to raise this to $6.99 then they've got major issues with the implementation of IAPs. I'm deeply saddened by this release after being a fan of Kemco games.

Getting destroyed by battles even getting to the four towns early in the game (particularly some slimes or something that put your damage down to zero as they continue to pound away at you).

Hope these issues are addressed. For now, I'd stay away. Any other
    Kemco release easily beats this one in fair gameplay. This is just ridiculous IMO unless as SV mentioned, we're missing something.