Universal Dark Fear (by Arif Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Nov 13, 2015.

1. Rain1dog

Rain1dog Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2010
    #141 Rain1dog, Nov 20, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
    Is Sierra the company who made the Kings Quest serious of games? The kingdom of Daventry!! God I played those games for hours and hours... Just getting sucked in.

The graphics here remind me of that.

2. ArifRocks

ArifRocks Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2014
    Indie Game Dev
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Yes it was Sierra who made those. They were fantastic games! :)

3. drmad

drmad Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2013
    Indonesia
    Congratulations arif for the 4.5 ⭐️ TA review hope it will help your sales and motivate you to create the sequels :D

4. ArifRocks

Oct 24, 2014
    Indie Game Dev
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Thanks! The 4.5 score was just awesome! And yeah I really do hope sales begin picking up now. Would love to work on a bigger better sequel

5. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    You set the bar quite high my friend. ;)

6. ArifRocks

Oct 24, 2014
    Indie Game Dev
    West Yorkshire, UK
    lol This game is good but there's still some small flaws which shouldn't be there. I've learned a lot and I know I can do better. Plus there's some new features/mechanics which I'd like to include, a few of which haven't been done before. Anyway I'm getting ahead of myself here. Time will tell if it ever happens :)

7. UScr00ge

UScr00ge Active Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Just beat it.

Great great game. Left a 5 star review on the App Store.

8. Moocow

Moocow Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2014
    #148 Moocow, Nov 21, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
    Wtf is this... you can't save in this game? I just exited the app, then found out that all my progress is gone. No there is no "continue" button, just a "new game". I don't even see an option to go back to the menu, or any options, nothing. Just a briefcase icon for the inventory. o_O

9. ArifRocks

Oct 24, 2014
    Indie Game Dev
    West Yorkshire, UK
    The options button appears when you talk to the blacksmith (which is about a few mins into the game). All the game elements are meant to be introduced gently to the player

10. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    Quite a magical experience! Pretty much wound up playing the entire game from start to finish in one sitting. I'd love to see more games with the same style and format.

11. ArifRocks

Oct 24, 2014
    Indie Game Dev
    West Yorkshire, UK
    How long did it take you to complete it?

12. Other

Other Member

Sep 27, 2015
    I found the game to be pretty darn goood, overall...but the motivation for the main antagonist of the game is a bit strange. Not trying to sound nitpicky or overly sensitive, but was the lead-up to and final cinematic supposed to be absurd and/or funny, a la Monty Python, or an attempt at a statement?

Again, the whole issue, to me, that it touches on is a non-issue to me (and I lament all the overt, pervasive political correctness nowdays) but the whole affair and the tone in which it was implemented was so out of place in the game, it was kinda awkward, and I wonder what the thought was behind it.

13. xBTAx

xBTAx Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2009
    I greatly enjoyed the game, clunky as it is... until I met the witch. Then things took a needlessly gross turn.

At first I just thought it was a kinda pointlessly cliche twist: they went ~crazy~ and started crossdressing. Which was disappointing, since though the writing so far hadn't exactly been the most creative or unique I'd seen, it was at least interesting enough.

And then, the witch continues explaining what happened and... oh. No. They're actually trans. At best, they went ~crazy~ because they were trans. At worst, them being trans is part of them being ~crazy~. Wonderful. Certainly not completely transphobic, except, no, it is.

Like... really? What part of this seemed like a good idea to you? It'd be one thing if it was an awkward attempt at using the setting to talk about someone in that situation would be pushed to tragic lengths to deal with it. Instead, it's twisted into something about selfishness and being hungry for power and summoning demons because ~crazy~. That, in addition to how the witch is depicted in the end and how the protagonist keeps using "he" even as he supposedly sympathizes with her, makes it so I can't really give the devs the benefit of the doubt here.

Just because the game looks like it's from a couple decades back doesn't mean the writing has to be. Not only is it gross, but like the above poster pointed out (even if they'll be disagreeing on my other feelings), it doesn't even fit the game well either. It's just awkward and insulting. It's 2015; you can do better than this.

14. I thought it was weird, but mostly just figured he was looking to surprise us somehow. Like,
    would you have ever guessed the witch is your own grandfather?!

15. Solarclipse

Solarclipse Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2012
    There are some good points brought up here. I think I can understand how the story might have formed *after* the twist had been figured out. It is tragic, but I think a little more world building would be needed to grasp that. Like, all he people in town seem good, but what if their own fears and hates had a place in the events that led up to the beginning of the game.

All that said, I'm not usually into horror type stuff but I dug the combo of puzzles, quests, farming and powering up/rpg mechanics. It was a neat synthesis and I would buy a sequel!

I appreciate that the puzzles are all reasonable.

The battles were more puzzle like, but I would enjoy more on the rpg side personally...but that's my tastes I'm really looking forward to light apprentice on the 26th, for example).

16. ArifRocks

Oct 24, 2014
    Indie Game Dev
    West Yorkshire, UK
    xBTAx Thank you for your concerns and your feedback. I'm really sorry you feel this way and if I've caused any offence to you. However I do feel there's been a misunderstanding here so I'd like to address some of the issues you've raised.

"And then, the witch continues explaining what happened and... oh. No. They're actually trans. At best, they went ~crazy~ because they were trans. At worst, them being trans is part of them being ~crazy~. Wonderful. Certainly not completely transphobic, except, no, it is."

I strongly disagree with your analysis here. This person is not crazy because they're transgender. A person's orientation does not determine whether or not they're crazy. The antagonist is crazy because they just happen to be crazy, and no other reason. It has nothing to do with their orientation or gender. I'm sorry if it came across that way in the writing but this is simply not true and was not my intention.

"That, in addition to how the witch is depicted in the end and how the protagonist keeps using "he" even as he supposedly sympathizes with her, makes it so I can't really give the devs the benefit of the doubt here."

Yes. I agree with you there and I apologise for that. It was an honest mistake that slipped under the radar and yes you're correct, the witch should have been referred to as "she" not "he" during that last sequence. When you're one person who is under the pressure of doing everything on a gamedev project (coding, graphics, story, sound, marketing, etc) mistakes often do happen. Am currently working on an update for the game in which I'm streamlining some of the dialogue on certain scenes. I'll be sure to reflect this in the update, so thank you for pointing that out :)

Again I'm sorry this ruined the enjoyment of the game, but it is honestly a simple misunderstanding. And again thanks for your feedback. I appreciate it :)

17. walmartpolice

walmartpolice Well-Known Member

May 12, 2012

It's always amazing how any time someone like you criticizes a person over a needlessly touchy subject like this, 9 times out of 10, you're attacking them, not actually trying to understand why.

Inb4 I don't need to try to understand their logic because it's wrong #triggered

18. Alex Wolf

Alex Wolf Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2010
    This game is brilliant
    Im half way through and when i finished it i leave a 5 star appstore review

19. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    Not sure, maybe 2-3 hours. It wasn't literally one sitting as I did other things over the course of the day, but I didn't play any other games until I finished this; it was very engaging.

20. Moocow

Moocow Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2014
    #160 Moocow, Nov 29, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
    This game has one of the most anti-climactic (means worst) endings in the history of video games. The story itself leading up to that point was extremely cheesy but not too bad due to the somewhat interesting writing and great music... but the ending is a like a huge slap in the face. Only explanation is the dev ran out of time or something and decided to basically not create an ending at all.

Highlight below to read spoilers:

Bad guy is your grandpa. You find out your grandpa has a crossdressing fetish and he worships Satan because "he wants Satan to transform him into a woman" (despite being like 70 years old... gross?). I'm not sure if the dev is trying to be funny with the story here or what cause it's just lame and gross to me. He summons you to this nightmare realm to help him open up a portal to Satan... uh ok. So then in the final area you defeat this demon gatekeeper or whatever it is, then this NPC who has been helping you reveals himself to be the main antagonist, your grandpa. You'd think that your grandpa would be the final boss fight right? He boasts that he can easily kill the gatekeeper but wanted you to do it cause he's apparently too lazy to do it himself. He tries to attack you.... with a knife. You easily dodge it and kills him in one hit with a crossbow bolt, in a slideshow... the f*ck? Yes you don't even get to fight him, there is no battle. The entire game just ends right there. So the devs are basically giving players a huge slap in the face saying, expecting an intense ending? Well f*ck you, here are 2 still images for you, thanks for playing. The main antagonist is weaker than the first frickin' enemy you fight in the entire game, that wolf.

It's always amazing how any time someone legitimately criticizes a game for weak plot, someone like you pathetically attempt to act all superior defending the game just because you either have a crossdressing fetish yourself or find it completely appropriate in a frickin' HORROR game.