Universal Dark Fear - A Story-Driven Pixel Horror (RPG/Adventure)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by ArifRocks, Oct 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArifRocks

ArifRocks Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2014
    Indie Game Dev
    West Yorkshire, UK
    UPDATE

It’s been a very busy week here. Dark Fear was showcased at both Ga Ma Yo and Platform Expos games conventions and the response was amazing! Despite the game only being a very limited demo (with a few bugs), everyone who played the game absolutely loved it and was very much absorbed by the game’s tense atmosphere, visuals and music. Some eagerly offered to playtest the final game while others exhausted all the available content and couldn’t wait for the final game to be released.

The feedback and suggestions from all this was extremely useful and a lot of it has been taken into account and added to the to-do list.

In the meanwhile, work continues. Keep an eye on this thread for updates and please feel free to leave a comment or ask a question.

Thanks! :)

2. ArifRocks

Oct 24, 2014
    Indie Game Dev
    West Yorkshire, UK
    SCREENSHOT UPDATE

Meet Seema the beautiful and exotic healer. She also knows a thing or two about magic and its effects.

[​IMG]

3. ArifRocks

Oct 24, 2014
    Indie Game Dev
    West Yorkshire, UK
  4. ArifRocks

Oct 24, 2014
    Indie Game Dev
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Just to let you all know everything is going well with the development and nothing has stopped or slowed down (despite the lack of recent updates). I'm currently working on the game scripts which will basically give me a full alpha version of the game with placeholder graphics and very little music/sfx.

Once this has been tested to a satisfactory level then the graphics, animations and the rest of the audio can go in before final beta testing and release.

Stay tuned!

5. TheGreatEscaper

TheGreatEscaper Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2014
    Can't wait for this.
    I would love to beta-test when the opportunity arises... I'm a huge fan of 'proper' horror, and this looks like it'll be right up my street.

6. ArifRocks

Oct 24, 2014
    Indie Game Dev
    West Yorkshire, UK
  7. ArifRocks

Oct 24, 2014
    Indie Game Dev
    West Yorkshire, UK
    UPDATE

I’ve been super busy sorting out the game’s scripts, which are now 100% complete. This basically means I now have a functioning version of the full game with crude placeholder line-art graphics. The game will now be thoroughly tested to make sure it plays well from start to finish and to also make sure the RPG elements are balanced and fair.

The next step after that will be to draw and add the rest of the final graphics before adding all the sound/music (yes, there’ll be screenshots posted from time to time :) )

8. ArifRocks

Oct 24, 2014
    Indie Game Dev
    West Yorkshire, UK
    UPDATE

OK the game's been tested from beginning to end and despite a few minor issues with balancing some of the combat stats (which have now been sorted) everything's been tested and is working great :)

The next step is completing the rest of the graphics and animations.

9. ArifRocks

Oct 24, 2014
    Indie Game Dev
    West Yorkshire, UK
    SCREENSHOT PLUS UPDATE

Have changed the resolution of the game so that it fit's an iPad perfectly. All screenshots in the main post have been updated to the newer, slightly larger ones to reflect this change.

Also, here's another screenshot for you :)

[​IMG]

10. TheGreatEscaper

Oct 10, 2014
    Ooh, that last screenshot is really pretty.
    And, well, macabre and gloomy, but you know what I mean. ;)

11. ArifRocks

Oct 24, 2014
    Indie Game Dev
    West Yorkshire, UK

Thanks. I'm glad you think it looks gloomy and macabre :) That last screenshot was part of a horror sequence in the game.

12. ArifRocks

Oct 24, 2014
    Indie Game Dev
    West Yorkshire, UK
  13. ArifRocks

Oct 24, 2014
    Indie Game Dev
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Another screenshot for you :)

[​IMG]

14. TheGreatEscaper

Oct 10, 2014
    Really excited for this. I'll wait patiently for release, gobbling up these gorgeous screenshots in the meanwhile.
    This is one of my most highly anticipated games, second only to The Witness... And that's saying a LOT.
    Was thinking about how scary this would be, but your added warning on the original post has uh, 'put my fears to rest', if that makes sense. ;)
    Looking forward to some sleepless nights!

15. ArifRocks

Oct 24, 2014
    Indie Game Dev
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Yeah the scares and frights are definitely there but there's a lot of atmospheric horror and creepy horror too. If you read the facebook update I posted a while back you'd have probably heard about what happened during testing, and how I ended up disabling the scene temporarily.

16. ArifRocks

Oct 24, 2014
    Indie Game Dev
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Here's one of the larger enemies in Dark Fear. I'm personally not a fan of zombies but in this case a minor plot point in the game's storyline called for one, so here it is.

[​IMG]

17. ArifRocks

Oct 24, 2014
    Indie Game Dev
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Another screenshot for you.

[​IMG]

18. TheGreatEscaper

Oct 10, 2014
    The use of color in these screenshots is fantastic. I love the zombie's teeth... ;)

19. ArifRocks

Oct 24, 2014
    Indie Game Dev
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Development Update

The graphics for this game are now half complete! Still got lots more to do before adding the audio and playtesting. Stay tuned for updates! :)