Universal Daredevil Dave 2: Motorcycle Mayhem! (by M-Digital Media)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by schplurg, Dec 12, 2015.

1. schplurg

schplurg Well-Known Member

That's cool. Hey you know I just want honest opinions, I wanna stress that.

I'd give it 4 - 4.5 stars myself haha - there are a few things that could be improved. Or maybe the amount of content in the game would make up some points :confused: I had to ban him from FB, which I've never done. He's psycho or something. I don't use Facebook personally at all, just for the game. I really hate FB, so this is just weird to me.

Anyways,

Damn I can't believe I spelled the icon name wrong!

2. schplurg

#42 schplurg, Dec 13, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2015
    Thanks for the kind words!

About the 5+ year gap in between Dave 1 and Dave 2:
    I went back and forth on the idea of doing a sequel at all. I started working on a new game - Kind of a "burnout" thing with a car in a huge city. I realized that was way too much to handle on my own though.

Somewhere along the line I did some work with some guys working on another game. I just did the graphics. I also managed a "nightclub" for awhile - that was interesting ;)

All the while I had worked here and there on Dave 2. Part of my thinking was "How many things can this guy jump over before it gets boring?" I developed some pretty bad RSI (carpal tunnel) in both wrists (I use a mouse with the left hand, a trackball on the right and switch constantly). I had to take time away from heavy computer use. That was depressing, and I thought I probably would just not do the game.

I signed a publishing deal with one of the big (maybe the largest) publishers on the planet, and ended up backing out of it after many months. I was working too slow and losing interest due to some of the reasons above.

Some other personal issues arose that I really had to fight through. Once the dust from that settled I realized that I was an idiot not to work on Dave 2. Suddenly, new ideas for jumps and stunts came to me, and for the past two years I've worked full time on it. I've been really excited about it ever since then!

After missing one release date promise after another (sorry guys), I really started to kick ass and devoted every minute I could to the game. It's really too much work for one guy. Textures, level design, 3D models, animating, sound, even music. Oh and programming, which I kinda suck at ;)

I decided the game had to come out before xmas holidays, so I slept on my keyboard and drank lots of caffeine and here we are!

I do love this game, and the character. I gave it everything I have - the culmination of all the skills I've learned over the years, and am still learning.

I want to add more levels and tours. We'll see how it goes for now.

3. cindibug

cindibug New Member

Dec 14, 2015
    awesome game!

I just downloaded the new game and it's awesome! I reviewed it on iTunes and will do so on here too. I never got the chance to play the first version of the game so I'm starting with the new one and will download the first one once I finish.

I'm not great at controlling vehicles on my PS3, in fact I make my friends motion sick (haha!) but Dave's bike, and Dave himself, as so easy to control even *I* can manage it! :)

I can't believe you made this game by yourself and I would definitely raise the price, it's worth more than $0.99. I like to try some games before buying the full version, do you ever offer a demo version? I bought this one instantly because I had heard so much about Daredevil Dave 1 that I knew it was going to be a kick ass game but just curious.

On a side note: I had a User ID on TA but I've forgotten it and I didn't see any info on account recovery. Does anyone know how to figure out my old account info? I sent them a "tip" but I'm not sure I'll get a response. TIA :)

4. schplurg

#44 schplurg, Dec 14, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
    Right on! Thanks for the review. Nice to see what people think of the game! I will probably raise the price, I just wanted to give people who were patient with me - Dave's true fans - a chance to grab it cheap!

I had demo versions for Dave 1. I may come out with a demo version later, with the option to upgrade to the full game. Not sure though.

ETA:
    I'd love to see that review here! And welcome back to the forums!

5. schplurg

Hey it's my lead tester! Thanks again for all the help!

In the old game I had an "achievement" that a player would get for completing the tour without a crash. I'm not even sure that I accomplished that - too long ago!

I was going to add that to Dave 2 but figured no body would get it I guess. Maybe in an update.

I have a few things I'd like to fix right away so I will try to get an update out before Apple closes for the holidays on the 21st (they won't accept any new stuff during that time).

6. RHess00

RHess00 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    #46 RHess00, Dec 14, 2015
    I just left a 5 star review on iTunes. BTW, any advice for the jump into the coliseum? I'm about 1.3 million in the hole from injuries. It's fun trying though.

7. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    About that "burnout" thing, you need see if you can get a group together to do that. I've always wanted a Burnout style game on iOS (and am actually disappointed that the original console devs have moved on to NFS and other projects).

8. schplurg

Sure. I complete that stunt by bailing off the bike:
    - Swipe from the speedometer to either the left or right to bail.
    - The longer the swipe distance the farther he will jump.
    - Swipe speed does not matter.
    - He jumps when you let go so you can hold and wait for the right moment.

Bailing off is very helpful in golf and some other stunts. See the final tutorial for bailing. Finishing the tutorials is highly recommended.

9. schplurg

I did have a working model going - parts of a city. It even had A.I. cars that you could race. It's just so hard making a giant city, and making ramps that work and interesting stuff to do.

However, now that I remember, I think it was the limitations of the phones at the time that discouraged me the most. Now that the devices are so powerful I could actually do it.

Who knows... ;)

10. RHess00

Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    Thanks for the tips. Is there a way to redo the tutorial? I accidentally x'd out of it and I can't find a way to do it again.

11. schplurg

Yes. its at the bottom of the level select list. You're not the only person to ask, I guess I could improve how to find the tutorials again.

Main Menu
    Practice
    Scroll all the way down

12. RHess00

Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    Got it. Thanks.

13. swimmingcub

swimmingcub Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2012
    Just bought, haven't played yet, but is there a level editor? If not that would be one of the coolest things you could add. It would bring so much replay value to the game

14. schplurg

15. schplurg

No level editor. I thought about making a "sandbox" area where you could drag items around and make your own jump. That would be pretty easy. Being able to share them though - I would need to learn some new skills - not saying it's impossible though.

Now that I've added instant replays you could at least show them off that way. Hmm I'll think about it.

One thing that isn't documented in the game is that you can share your race on the motocross track with friends, but that ability is not built into the game. It's a text file you can access on your device using an app like iExplorer that allows you to access your device's files. It's not really a game feature, just something that is totally possible.

I'd have to look it up and see exactly where the file is. It's called RecordedRace.txt I think. This will work because in the second motocross race, your race is recorded to this text file, like a "ghost bike".

This ghost bike is the bike you race against in the 3rd and final race (along with two other riders). The text file IS that ghost bike race.

Confused? Well anyways, no there is no jump editor. :( Maybe later I will add one. It would be awesome for sure.

16. cindibug

cindibug New Member

Dec 14, 2015
    So I'm back after having a chance to play more of the new game. I'm in the middle of my first tour and I'm having a blast! The practice mode was very intuitive. I was worried I would have a hard time controlling Dave and his motorcycle but the controls are super easy.

The game is difficult enough to keep me interested but not so hard that it's frustrating to play. I love reading the funny billboards throughout the game and hearing Dave’s funny comments. I'm looking forward to continuing my tour and trying the other modes. I haven't played the first version of the game but once I finish this one I'm definitely going to download that one too.

I can tell a lot of time and effort went into developing the levels. It's hard to believe this game was created and developed by just one person! Thanks for an awesome game and no annoying ads! Great job!

17. schplurg

Thanks for this!

I didn't even add the touch steering until semi-late in the development stage. It was tilt only. Finally I added touch steering and man what a difference! I picked it up immediately and actually removed tilt from the game (because it sucked). Some of my testers talked me into putting it back in. It's improved but I'm not 100% happy with it.

I'm still really digging watching the replays people are making. Go to OPTIONS menu - REPLAYS, and hit "watch replays".

Sooooo - has anybody discovered the achievement you can earn in the Main Menu? I'm pretty sure this is the first game where you can do this.

:cool:

18. imdakine1

imdakine1 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Thanks for sharing... I haven't got to play much yet but did my impulse buy based on what I read about the original and the .99 introductory price.

I like the idea of launches with a discount price upfront as a way to incentivize people to try their games!

19. redribbon

redribbon Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    entepreanur,programmer
    #59 redribbon, Dec 14, 2015
    now you really made me cry a bit :(, i can feel ya, since im developing my own game and i really100x love it but i have to give it up because of one reason and im working really hard to fix my own financial and after 4 years now i start the project again and try to build it from the ground. well, hopefully this time is the real deal. sorry for OOT :D

okay, maybe i got a some nice idea here. for the extra level, can you do niagra falls stunt jump? i think that would be really cool. :D

btw, i still cant proceed to the next tour, any help? i already go back to the main menu and try to resume the tour but still, no luck, the ride button just wont function.

20. schplurg

#60 schplurg, Dec 14, 2015
    You have to select NEW TOUR - each tour is separate. I'll try and clear that up in an update, sorry.

ETA: Okay just took a shower and woke up a little more (yes I sleep late!)

Niagara Falls could interesting - I could definitely use ideas for stunts. I have a lot of ideas for the Movie Stuntman ones.

Someone on "Everyplay" (where the replays can be viewed in the game) asked me about adding the toilet bike to the game. Whaddya think?

[​IMG]

It's got a lawn mower engine and a "slightly" dangerous gas tank. But the real secret is in the toilet. Not only is it a seat, but the tank is filled with nitrous! When you flush the toilet the nitrous flows into the toilet bowl and the bike goes! Problem is that the wooden bike is very brittle and crashes are pretty horrendous.

;)