iPad Dapple v1.1 Now Available!

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by OTrain13, Apr 6, 2009.

1. OTrain13

OTrain13 Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2009
    Co-founder, Milkbag Games
    Canada
    Hi Everyone!

I wanted let you know that Dapple v1.1 has been approved and is now available on the App Store! For our first update to Dapple, we listened to the fans and implemented the most requested feature: the ability to play against a computer opponent in 2 Player Mode.

Dapple 1.1 contains the following features and changes:

• Choose your opponent in 2 Player Mode: Human or Computer!
    • Added a new Feedback button.
    • Fixed audio bug: If you are listening to your iPod music while playing the game and lock your device, your music will now keep playing.
    • Reduced file size to under 10MB - the game can now be downloaded over cellular network.
    Dapple Lite v1.1 is also now available. Dapple Lite 1.1 contains all the same changes as Dapple 1.1, with the exception of 2 Player Mode.

For full Dapple details (including gameplay videos and screenshots), please visit the Dapple web page: http://www.dapplegame.com

If you have already purchased Dapple, the update is free, so grab it now!

If you haven't purchased Dapple yet, get it on the App Store here: Dapple
    If you want to try our lite version, grab it here: Dapple Lite

If you have any questions or comments, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Owen

2. GatorDeb

GatorDeb Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    You know, I ended up buying it during the sale. I don't play it, but I bought it :p

3. OTrain13

Jan 28, 2009
    Canada
    Are there any features you'd like to see in the game that would make you play it more? I love hearing feedback on the game. I put an AI opponent into Dapple because that was the feature that was most being asked for.

I am planning future updates for the game, so if there are features you want to see, please let me know.

Owen

4. GatorDeb

Feb 1, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    The only reason I don't play it is because I have to study the mix guide every ... single ... move ... and it gets annoying.

5. Carlos-Sz

Carlos-Sz Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    If I'm not wrong the game shows the color so you don't have to study it every time.

6. OTrain13

Jan 28, 2009
    Canada
    Dapple is more challenging that a lot of other matching games for that reason: you have to learn how the colors mix. There is a bit of a learning curve associated with it. Feedback I've received from a lot of people is that once the rules "click", the game becomes extremely addictive.

If there's some way I can make the mixes more obvious to you, please let me know. Would some kind of tutorial mode help? Or perhaps a "learners" mode where you're given only a subset of colors to play with (say, only red, orange, and yellow)? If you have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks,
    Owen

7. DaveMc99

DaveMc99 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
  8. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Wow and $32,000 to build the project? :eek:

9. DaveMc99

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
    #9 DaveMc99, Apr 15, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
    Think that was to buy all the computers and time off work.. did you see this to compare?
    -Trism (Demiforce) - $250,000 (2 months)

10. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Yeah, he released those numbers a while ago.

11. OTrain13

Jan 28, 2009
    Canada
    Yes, it's true. They got the numbers from a blog post I wrote mid-March about Dapple's sales up to that point. You can read the full post for lots more details.

And yes, the $32,000 was an estimated cost to make the game based on all business expenses incurred during the process of creating the game. The game took six months to make (I'm the only programmer), and I just wrote up a week-by-week description of what went into making the game.

If you have questions about it, please let me know.

Owen

12. supg328911

supg328911 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    pro ping pong player!!!!
    USA BABY
    wow i never knew it took that much money to make an iphone game..

13. GatorDeb

Feb 1, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    So you lost over 30 grand of your own money on it? :eek:

14. DaveMc99

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
    Would you still have created this game knowing what you know now?
    Any chance you could port it over to be an online game?
    Are you planning any other games?

15. OTrain13

Jan 28, 2009
    Canada
    I should clarify: it wasn't $32,000 out of pocket. That was the total cost of the budget, which includes my time as a cost. That's not to say that I actually paid myself anything, but if you counted my hours as a cost, that's included in the budget. The amount spent out of pocket is much less than the $32,000.

That's a tough question. I think yes. I learned an incredible amount in building Dapple. I've also created a lot of reusable code. I now have a working 2D rendering engine, a sound engine, a UI system, an animation system, etc, already built. I hope that future games will be able to leverage the technology so that more time is spent building the game, and less time spent building the technology.

Porting it is something I'm considering, but I won't say anything else about that right now. :)

And yes, I am planning more games. I've got a main concept I'm working with for my next title that's still in the early concepting phase right now. I've got some non-game related stuff going on right now, so that's not progressing too quickly at this time. However, you can definitely expect to see more titles from Streaming Colour Studios in the future.

Cheers,
    Owen

16. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Something which has always stuck out like a sore thumb (which actually is kind of an understatement) on your web site is-

[​IMG]

You're trying to sell a game which is all about vibrant colors and you've got a 850x300 header image advertising it... saved as a 256 color gif with a hilarious amount of dither. It really blows my mind. Is there a reason you're using a gif there? If you need transparency, why not use a .png?

It would make your website look about 500x better.

17. GatorDeb

Feb 1, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    I smell a DS and/or PSP release in the future :D Maybe even XBLA or PSN.

Hey, I have a feeling that if you released it as WiiWare for $5 it'd sell like hotcakes!

18. OTrain13

Jan 28, 2009
    Canada
    Thanks for the feedback, Eli. I agree that it's really not ideal. Yes, I use a GIF there for the transparency. I don't use a PNG because IE 6 and earlier don't support transparent PNGs and there are still a surprising number of users hitting my site with IE 6. I've tried several of the hack solutions out there for enabling transparent PNG support, but none of them have worked properly. I continue to search for an ideal solution...

This is why I like building games for the iPhone instead of the web... ;)

Owen

19. OTrain13

Jan 28, 2009
    Canada
    It figures that shortly after I posted that I managed to put together something that works. So, as requested, my banners are now all 32-bit PNG's. Enjoy the millions of colours! :)

Owen