Universal Danmaku Unlimited 2 (+ Lite Version) by Sunny Tam

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    Printing and laminating. This day shall be remburrrrrrrred:D

2. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Dude, just noticed your name in the credits. Nice :D

3. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    =oD

Yeah, I was lucky enough to be one of the beta testers, and Sunny was kind enough to put our names into the credits.

I feel all sorts of special. =oD

4. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    This is really cool. We have a noice dev right here :)

5. Selachii

Selachii Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 13, 2009
    Game Designer
    Netherlands
    Nice, congratz to Sunny with this release :) Played burst mode a bit, it seems the most appealing to me. The graze distance seems very generous, good fun overall with great distinct graphics.
    And I see you on the Leaderboards, synthetic..guise...the usual suspects :D

Nice looking graphics and 60FPS are indeed more important than checking a 'Retina' tick-box in a feature sheet :)

6. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    I'm a total retina whore along with metalcasket, because in most cases you can afford to be picky with iOS games and apps. If one doesn't support retina, there's probably another perfectly good app that does. DU2 is unique though, so I bought it :D

7. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Why you...I thought had something special here...what? You trying to make me buy this?

I probably will in a little bit, tbh. >_>

8. RCranium666

RCranium666 Well-Known Member

May 28, 2010
    Game Impressions

Bought after trying lite version once. Really like the colors. Would prefer smaller ships, bullets and larger field of view, but still love the game. Great job!:cool:

9. MeanTuna

MeanTuna Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Writer
    Nice, love Sunny Tam. Getting this right now, fingesr crossed for a Storm Strikers sequel .

10. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    I got through the first stage on hard with no damage, I had to see how far I could take it :D

...not very far actually.

11. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

#52 killercow, Mar 1, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
    I'm third in one of the "normal" leaderboards! I know it won't last but still, i'm glad that all those hours of training in Phoenix HD paid off ;)

Oh and metalcasket, I'm also a self proclaimed "retina-whore" but here it doesn't really matter. It looks really good even without full retina support.(You can see in the training section that the ship is quite blocky so I think it isn't full retina)

12. killwhitey

killwhitey Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    was a bit miffed at the price, but then I remembered I bought currency in DU1 just to give sunny tam more of my money, haha. even just playing this cursorily at work in burst mode on easy, I felt the action was well-balanced, and the depth of the scoring system is really exciting. before, I would benchmark indie shmups by DU1, and the sequel has show itself to be the new benchmark. even Cave should be taking notice!

13. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    I am freak'n addicted to Burst Mode - Extreme difficulty. Every time I start the game up, that's what I go to. I haven't even really touched Classic.

I'm so glad Sunny decided to go with a double-mode game this time around. It's so great having two scoring mechanics to learn and mess with. And with this being Universal AND supporting the 5's widescreen - it's my favorite shmup ATM.... given the option, I would pick DU2 over any Cave title right now.

14. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    This game kills. Shooter fans, support Sunny Tam! Here's pure bullet-hell mayhem, developed independently, with ingenious no-button controls and no IAP tomfoolery.

Not to mention gorgeous graphics and fiendishly inventive bullet patterns.

Awesome.

15. OriginalDex

OriginalDex Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2012
    What could I add?!? :D I just totally agree!
    So, everybody go buy this precious bullet hell gem and support this really talented dev!

16. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Right on!

Hey syntheticvoid (and anyone else), any scoring tips in either mode? Do you save the Trance for bosses while trying to build up the highest multiplier you can? And what upgrades do you favor (I've maxed lives and am working on the 'bomb' defense thing currently)?

Thanks in advance for any info or advice.

17. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    =o)

for Burst Mode;

I try and save my burst laser for the most bullets I can... but still use it ALL THE TIME. I generally save my Trance Modes for bosses - unless there's a section of a lot of larger enemies with loads of bullets, and I know I can fill my trance gauge again before I encounter another boss. If I have a full Trance Gauge at the beginning of an ending boss battle - I use it right off the bat, and then graze until I fill up another Trance, and save that for my final blow. During ALL Trance Modes - I use Burst. Since your gauge is filled when you collect the orbs as well as the stars, you can usually fill it up and use it during trance mode, and then come out of trance mode with another full Burst Gauge.

Classic Mode - I haven't played much. So... I can't really share any tips for that. But I will if no one else does this weekend.

As for upgrades - I am at the top level (ACE) - mainly because I've had the game for a week now (yeah, that's why my scores are so high ATM... not because I freak'n rawk... but because I've had the time to play it) - but while I was playing for score before I had 1400 points to spend in the upgrade area, I used 400 for my shot type, usually left my bombs at 2, continues at 1, and just fed points into extra lives until I had enough to buy 5, then bought a continue (kind of because I was also very interested in beating the game - which I still have NOT done on Extreme difficulty). But by that time, I was also able to dump most of my points into upgrading my shot type (you can up it to level 3, or even mix and match, using 2 or even all 3 shot types at once). Right now, I have my shot type maxed - 2 bombs - 3 lives and 2 continues. But if you're going for score, I'd dump the continues since your score resets at continue/gameover - and put them into bombs, and then lives, as bombs don't fully reset your multiplier, instead just drop it by half, where as a new ship puts your multiplier back to 0.

When playing for score, if you're at the max level, I'd up your shot type to level 1 (so you can milk bosses and enemies for all their worth - if you're confident, I'd even select NO shot type so that you have that extra 400 points to put into lives) - 5 bombs (max) - and 3 lives. If you're having a hard time getting through it with your shot type at 1, try 2, but keep the bombs up there, probably around 4 - then you can have 3 lives. Unless you wanna go for 1 life and 5 bombs.... all depends on how much you value your multiplier.

Hope that helps.

18. killwhitey

killwhitey Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    I kinda hope blankfield releases the soundtrack...I found my head nodding to the beat on the title screen, haha.

19. witedahlia

witedahlia Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2012
    Just have to add my "Yay!" to everybody else's and encourage people to pick this one up. I have the first Donmaku but I like this one even better. And yes, burst rocks.

Edit: and oh, yeah, the bullet patterns are evil