Dangerous HD

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by binaryhelix, Aug 9, 2012.

1. binaryhelix

binaryhelix Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2011
  2. Mookmonster

Mookmonster Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Holy crow!

Bravo!

Been lookin for a reason to give this game a shot, and you just did it. Graphics are a fantastic improvement! I love space exploring games!

3. binaryhelix

Oct 15, 2011
    Glad you like the improvements! The video doesn't show the UI (turned them off to show off the graphics), but we have some screenshots on whoisdangerous.com which does. We added a new "fire all" button which streamlines combat quite a bit. And the inclusion of the radial menu for autopilots helps declutter the screen.

4. Woah, looks awesome!
    Can't wait to put my hands on it D:

5. Ssylex

Ssylex Well-Known Member

May 18, 2011
    Software Engineer
    How's the framerate on the HD version? The trailer looked a little choppy in places, but it might have just been the capture...

Does it run smoothly on the new iPad?

6. binaryhelix

Oct 15, 2011
    The new iPad is running at its best resolution and at times, it will have reduced framerates especially during close-ups of explosions. In a subsequent update we're going to add in the ability to run at lower resolutions if you care more about performance.

Also, we have a bunch of options that you can tweak to suit your taste (high/low polygon stations, space dust amount, exhaust effects, celestial quality & animation, explosion effects, shader/lights, turning off missile camera and cinematic views). I would say that the iPad2 and iPhone 4S are the best performers due to their polygon pushing ability and a lower resolution than the new iPad.

7. unexpect3rd

unexpect3rd Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2011
    Mobile Game Developer (Fulltime as well as indie)
    Singapore
    wow 3 years in the making, how large was the development team?

8. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Want to give this another go. Bought the original but i must admit i felt lost after the tutorial with all the buttons to attack, hope this one is simpler.

Think i was after an 'Elite' game rather than 'Eve - online' style game.

I can appreciate how much depth this game has just i dont know, prefer it to be 'simpler' !

Graphics look stunning

9. popjam5

popjam5 Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Wow, wow, wow, wow, wow.

10. binaryhelix

Oct 15, 2011
    There are two of us at Binary Helix (Linh and Andrew) and we relied on outside help with composer wunderkind Sean Beeson and artist extraordinaire Kip Ayers.

We did simplify it somewhat by adding a new "fire all" button, a radial menu to pick your autopilot and wingman control, and warping and docking are simplified (pick your destination and the autopilot does the rest). Give it another go and let us know if you have ideas on making it even simpler. :)

:D

11. Ssylex

Ssylex Well-Known Member

May 18, 2011
    Software Engineer
    Cool, thanks! I'll be double dipping.

Do you guys still think you'll be able to do the FPS ship boarding addition, someday? This has always been the holy grail of space sims, for me. Such an ambitious idea... and I was always boggled that LucasArts never thought to follow up Tie Fighter with "Bounty Hunter". How sweet would it have been to marry the Tie Fighter engine to the Jedi Knight engine? ;)

Best of luck on the HD launch! It's a damn shame that you haven't sold a million copies...

12. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Well just got an ipad 3 for my birthday so i think i will give this a go

Do you know how big the installed game is ?

13. binaryhelix

Oct 15, 2011
    Thanks! At this point, we'd be happy if we sold 10,000 copies. :D

We would still like to the do FPS ship boarding, but are currently bogged down in localization (translation) efforts. Also, we're thinking about enlisting the help of Kickstarter to make sure we have enough funds to do it right. But this also requires a video (we don't want to do just a boring dev talking to the camera). So right now, it's all up in the air...

It expands to 886 MB as reported by iTunes.

14. Gabriel.Voyager

Gabriel.Voyager Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2009
    IT Consultant
    Turin - Italy
    For sure you've sold one copy to me :)
    I've just purchased the HD version for my iPad2, but i find a little difficult start with all the option and menu and mission and flight mode and autopilot and fight ecc...
    I'm a little confused, remeber me the first time i've played Frontier Elite II ages ago.
    But for Frontier i've a big manual to read, there is a pdf manual to download that explain all the icon and the menu and the function?

Please :)

15. Unfrozen

Unfrozen Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 11, 2011
    Canada
    I picked up Dangerous about two weeks ago and really enjoyed it. Only got a short way in before I read about the HD version with all the other improvements so I held off playin until this version came out.

I am hooked, awesome game.