Universal Dangerous HD (Null Space)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by binaryhelix, Aug 16, 2012.

1. binaryhelix

binaryhelix Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2011
    We've done what we could in the way of getting reviews. For some reason, TA hasn't seen fit to review the game even after numerous attempts and updates. Considering how few serious space sims there are, it's disappointing.

Players are getting a desktop quality game for their mobile that takes a minimum of 20-30 hours if you only do the storyline missions. So we think the value proposition is there.

The HD filesize balloons to about a gigabyte, so that's why we retained the SD version for people with more limited devices.

We're working on adding a networked/MMO version and/or possibly fleshing out more of the FPS mini-game when we can find the time. But the revenues have not been there for us to devote all our attention to it. Maybe if we get to an alpha state and launch a Kickstarter project.

Sorry, not financially feasible for us to make it a free upgrade (the dev cost to add IAP update to HD is significant if we were to go this route). We've continuously improved the game since release and have added tons of new features, so I think even the original purchasers should be happy with the support we've provided.

The SD version has every improvement except the HD textures which were too large to force on everybody. Not everybody has the new iPad or iPhone 4S.

GoF2 HD was a separate binary after release of the SD, and they did not make that fact known when the SD version was released. So we didn't do anything differently.

The manual was incorporated into the game/tutorial/Ailina. Some fans have made the: dangerous.wikia.com wiki site. The manual is on the To Do list, but in the meanwhile, feel free to ask questions on Whoisdangerous.com forums.

We've been continuously updating the game since release, and feel that players have an amazing game product with tens of hours of open-ended gameplay. Sorry it didn't live up to your expectations, but we spent years on a labor of love, not to screw players.
    Frankly, you're entitled to your opinion and review. We stand by the game and feel that players will find an incredible game that has depth far beyond anything on the market including GoF2. You basically have in your hands essentially a single-player EVE Online game with an engaging story. It took immense engineering prowess, and I'm happy what our 2-man team was able to accomplish. Can't please everybody it seems.
    We still are working on the MMO and FPS features when time permits, but that is increasingly limited these days. Maybe a Kickstarter campaign might help.

2. L.Hash

L.Hash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2012
    Thanks for this lengthy response. I'm glad you are not giving up. The game is great and i really appreciate the effort you put into it.

I don't honestly think that MMO and FPS will bring you more players or press coverage.

What the game needs right now is more polish. Fix what's already there before moving on.

The HD version only added better textures but everything else remained like the SD version : text font, images, icons etc.

Do you at least agree on this?

3. binaryhelix

binaryhelix Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2011
    Not sure what you are asking for agreement. The HD only improved textures (to the tune of ~1 GB total binary size). The original game has received all other improvements.

We'll continue to polish where it's obvious (so send in any suggestions), but polish will only marginally add to the revenues unfortunately. We've been polishing for more than ten months since initial release. For example, the map could definitely use some love, but the way the game is designed, your destinations are labeled in the warp menu, so it's not critical. But if we could add a new feature such as the FPS or multiplayer/MMO, we could potentially capture a whole new segment of gamers. At this point, it's looking like the better course if we can find time to continue development.

4. Sonicx

Sonicx Active Member

Feb 26, 2011
    #24 Sonicx, Jan 1, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
    Any fix for iphone 6 plus? I can see the time and battery icon ingame.

5. ZS77

ZS77 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2015
    Anyone know why this has disappeared off the UK App Store? Can't seem to find it anymore despite an update coming out last October.

6. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    IDK. I own the SD version because I bought it on release. I'm downloading it from my purchase history and saving the IPA in iTunes, just in case. I already lost Flatspace because I didn't back up my IPA and the dev disappeared from the App Store. I don't want this to happen again...