Universal Dandy: Or A Brief Glimpse Into The Life of the Candy Alchemist (By Wefiends)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by wefiends, Aug 27, 2015.

1. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    Thanks for the tip, Sapphire. I am still hoping to make it to the boss for my first time.

2. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Well Hell, why not? I'm jumping in. Dandy here I come.

3. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Don't mind me...

*stealthily dashes about the thread adjusting the games rating to 5 stars*

*nefariously bumps the thread muahaha*

Great game guys, you know you're in for a sweet treat from the moment the opening credits roll and you proceed to hurl candies at them! Loving it.

4. Quazonk

Quazonk Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    #164 Quazonk, Oct 12, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
    Wefiends, my apologies. You're absolutely right that the issue I addressed in my last post is exclusive to playing in the "plum" mode. To be honest, I never knew there was a difference between plum mode and jawbreaker mode. I always knew that the top selection was "no power-up" mode, but I never knew a difference between the bottom two until this was pointed out just now. Regardless, my last post applies to plum mode only.
    A couple of quick questions (to anyone with the answers, not just Wefiends): Does anyone know what the power-up "kill the angels" does? I can't figure it out. I figured it had something to do with the Angel Globs, but I've tried running into them, shooting them, letting them pass me by, everything, and nothing seems to happen any differently that I can notice.
    Also, I love all the new variations of enemies and their behaviours add interesting new strategies to the gameplay (faster moving enemies, enemies with double streams of bullets, poisonous Bomers etc) but I can't figure out how the new green Soldiers are any different than the regular Soldiers, does anyone know? They seem to behave exactly the same to me.
    Just completed the Alchemist's Compendium, time to chase the achievement of finishing a run without taking any damage! I completed one yesterday taking only one hit, and it was by a damned deflected bullet by a Dodger! D'oh!
    Edit: One last question: does anyone know what the white circle at the top left corner of the screen at the beginning of the game does? It looks like a button, but pressing it doesn't seem to do anything. I know, I know, a million questions. Back to playing, loving this update :)

5. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

Been playing a lot more since the update. Thanks so much for that @wefiends! This is just so much fun. Filling out the compendium alone is enough to keep me coming back, but I've gotten better and was finally able to finish the game starting with the top item.

That lemon does sound delicious @sappire_neo. Can't wait to try out that killer combo you were talking about. Been working on the middle item difficulty (or whatever that is). Managed to get to the Wurm once. Back to it!

6. wefiends

wefiends Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Not disrupting anything, thanks for the kind words, glad you feel you got your money's worth :)

Thanks dude, that's awesome to hear.

Wow that was fast! The little white circle is just a loading indicator. I remember thinking it was important to show to the player... but now I don't remember why. Could be a vestige of some old problem we ran into so maybe we'll get rid of it.

Glad to hear it! We couldn't have known the compendium was something that made sense without all the feedback we've gotten so i'm glad you're enjoying it.

For those of you in the late game, with your world tendency pretty high, lemme know how you feel about the balance. I felt like at a point I met an equilibrium where the game was just hard enough to make sure I didn't overpower the game every single run. Maybe that's unfair though, and if you're good at the game maybe you should be able to win every time. Right now all we can offer for playing at high world tendency is the satisfaction of the moment to moment gameplay, so if that's not working it's definitely something I'd like to know about.

7. Quazonk

Quazonk Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    The balance is good where it is. Difficult enough where a seasoned player cannot just cruise to the finish line, and not so difficult that it'll cause a newcomer to throw his phone at the wall. The moment to moment gameplay is very satisfying, enough so to keep me playing regularly when there is no longer a carrot at the end of the stick for me to chase. And for the experienced players, there is always the extra difficult modes that'll test anyone's meddle.

The compendium was a great idea, and well-implemented at that. I just wanted those power-ups and to see what each of them did! I was 99% the way finished within 24 hours of the update hitting, and for some reason those Poppers are what held me back. I know that's a quick turnaround to beat the update that you and your brother (I'm assuming he's your brother?) put so much time into, but trust me it was all worth it for everyone. I got hours and hours of playtime in and enjoyed every minute of it. I won't soon forget how much fun it was discovering all the new additions, so if hours of fun for the player are what you hoped to achieve in your update, then mission accomplished. The casual "ten minute a day" player will be chipping away at the update for a good while.

So, I know Dandy up to this point hasn't been the financial blockbuster that you hoped it to be (although I have faith that it is fully capable of a "breakthrough" at any moment if it gets in the hands of the right person, like a Lonnie or somebody), but have you put any thought into what is next for Wefiends? I have confidence that if you guys keep doing what you're doing you'll see success in this. And the beauty of the App Store is that if you produce a game in the future that becomes a success, people go back and search for what you have done in the past. Keep it up man, and know that the people who are playing your game are having a great time with it.

8. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    I am still struggling with this game, but the compendium is giving me something to keep playing for. I am near 50% but with my limited skills there are plenty of enemies I have yet to uncover. I am so sorry to hear that sales have been poor; this is such a gem and it deserves better. If the developers get back to any more updates, I am hoping they adjust the tendency to benefit weaker players like me. Regardless of my Dandy suckitude, I adore this game!

By the way, an earlier post mentioned work was underway on a guide; has it been posted somewhere?

9. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Nope, I have a lot of tabulated data and screenshots but my enthusiasm fell away and lack of time combined to make it a non-starter. I might still put the pieces I already have on a Wikia at some point.

10. wefiends

Jul 30, 2010
    Sorry it took so long to respond to this! Thanks so much for the continued support and kind words. We have tons of ideas, big ones, small ones, dandy updates ideas too. But I don't know what project we'll tackle next. Right now we're doing some contract work to fund something... though what it'll be I'm not sure.

Hey thanks! Glad the compendium is keeping you going. World Tendency is definitely hurting for expansion. I think it's a cool idea and I'd love to have it support struggling players, maybe one day.

11. upstream

upstream New Member

Aug 4, 2011
    #171 upstream, Dec 6, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
    Guys, can you tell me what "Blessed Butterscotch" powerup does? It says "You Feel The Presence of Angels". After a player eats it - wings are attached to his back and music changes slightly. And that's all it does? ... I play this game for a few weeks already and this powerup seems useless for me...

Maybe it increases amount of Angel Blobs appearing? But I did not notice it.
    Maybe if I kill Angel Blobs instead of taking them then at some point at a time a Powerup will appear among enemies? (during a level). But I did not notice a corellation here also...

12. wefiends

Jul 30, 2010
    Ha it's been forever, but I guess I can clear up what the "Blessed Butterscotch" does. It drastically increases the spawn rate of angels. With the habanero you can get some crazy high damage, spawning extra angels and killing them :p