Universal Dandy: Or A Brief Glimpse Into The Life of the Candy Alchemist (By Wefiends)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by wefiends, Aug 27, 2015.

1. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

Despite the lack of Game Center support, I finally came around and bought Dandy. After playing for only 10 minutes, I was a very happy camper. This is definitely not to be missed, especially for fans of side scrolling shooters.

I've gotta thank sappire_neo's persistent posts (in more than just this game thread) for pushing me off the fence. What a fun and unique game you've made, wefiends.

2. raravan

raravan Well-Known Member

May 18, 2014
    no one say thanks to me, lol. ok TA!

3. 7lilwhitewolf7

7lilwhitewolf7 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Male
    Not hear on earth
    Georgia,Cleveland Ohio,Texas,New York
    #83 7lilwhitewolf7, Sep 5, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
    Thankz a vermillion Raravan

4. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

Thanks, raravan! :D

5. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    I'm glad you're enjoying it!

I thank you! :D

Here's Ep. 4 of RockLeeSmile's LP, where he beats the first boss!

Also, slow going because I've been dealing with a cold but here's a tiny preview of the guide I'm working on for AppUnwrapper.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. 7lilwhitewolf7

7lilwhitewolf7 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Male
    Not hear on earth
    Georgia,Cleveland Ohio,Texas,New York
    Boo Hoo Moo Melt, that made me smile# Thank you Sapphire Neo
    Thank you Wefiends for your creation
    This thread keeps the fun factor tops

7. MathFan

MathFan Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2014
    I really liked this game at first but wonder if the difficulty is way too high. Has anyone on this forum actually improved much or seen the "alleged" boss?

I have played MANY times and cannot progress much further than the exploding purple enemies. I am growing tired of replaying the same levels without making any new progress.

Maybe an update with additional lives, improved visibility (enemies are sometimes hidden by foreground objects), or an option for easy/medium/hard modes?

Any advice or suggestions?

8. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    I've made it almost to the second boss. The key to succeeding is figuring out how the different types of enemies operate. Some activate when you move, others when you stop, some will dodge your shots. It's also important knowing exactly when to skip both items and instead go for full health or even a health up. And finally, make sure to not kill the angel globs.

The game is designed to make you panic and take needless damage but you have to calmly formulate a course of action for each wave, preferably within a second or two of the wave spawning.

9. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    Haha, look at my damage, and I had lifesteal... but I still couldn't get to the second boss. I love this game!

[​IMG]

Looks like my initial assessment of this being more like Nuclear Throne than Isaac in terms of difficulty was right :D

10. raravan

May 18, 2014
    wow! awesome.
    and you have a poison too!! superb!

11. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    Yeah, it was a great build but I ran into enemies I had never seen before and hemorrhaged a lot of hp very quickly. By the time I figured them out it was too late :(

12. wefiends

wefiends Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Hey MathFan,

Just wanted to jump in and answer your question. Dandy gives back exactly what you put in... sometimes in a very literal way, and can be incredibly difficult because of that. I've seen a huge range of play skill, and it has a whole lot to do with the individual person. With that said, there's no wrong way to play, and we're looking into how to accommodate anyone that gives the game a chance. So expect balance updates to help you do better. We're also updating to accommodate the other side of things too, for people that think the game is too easy (these people exist, I swear).

We've also gotten a lot of remarks about how the game is too repetitive at the very start and we're also looking into that.

As always, we take your ideas on how to improve the game very seriously (though with a grain of salt), so if you've got any feedback let us know.

New update should be coming soon, I won't ever promise a date, but might be dropping spoilers for it soon if you guys are interested.

@saphire_neo I have no idea how you're getting those images on a white BG, but it's looking great!

13. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    Heh I'm picking up the Dandy sprite from when I pick up a second item, since the screen whites out and leaves Dandy on a clean background :D

Also, I can see how the game might be too easy for people who have good reflexes and have "solved" the puzzles that are the enemies.

As for the repetitiveness at the start, adding a few variant enemies or mixing up when enemy types show up on a "level" (between two statues) would go a long way to adding more variety. I think the first step would be to remove the "tutorial" wave you get for each enemy, where only that enemy shows up so you can learn what it does. Once the user has seen the enemy maybe on one or two runs those tutorial waves should stop appearing. Another thing could be "hard" mode or random mode, where all enemies within a set level/background can immediately start showing up at any point. So you could have the shielders or kamikaze dudes show up on the second level right from the start instead of showing up sequentially.

It would also be cool to have "champion" or miniboss variants of the enemies once in a while that have a chance to drop a full health, heart or heart container on death. Maybe a bigger soldier that attacks in different ways with a posse of other soldiers or a big sentinel that shoots small explosives at you.

14. MathFan

Jul 27, 2014
    Thanks for the advice and for sharing your strategies. I will try them out. Thanks again.

15. MathFan

Jul 27, 2014
    #95 MathFan, Sep 6, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
    I have been playing more of the game (on an iPad 4) and have noticed a bug. At "random", the game freezes for a second and the character is pushed to the far left on the screen. This freeze has caused numerous problems-being struck by an enemy/projectile, bypassing the end of wave reward, instant death, or screen persist glitches. Anyone else experiencing this?

16. wefiends

wefiends Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Hey guys, just wanted to let you all know we're making huge progress on the update. I might start a page where you can see what we're working on for the next update, so you know what issues we know about and which we might be oblivious to.

Other than that I'm starting to post some spoilers for the update. I'm still not sure how to go about it, right now a small blog post seems alright.

[​IMG]

Spoilers for the Dandy update commence with a new power-up, “The Butterscotch!” Wanted to start small, with an item I think everyone can figure out. Plus you get wings and that’s cool.

Not sure how often to post these, or what you guys wanna see so let me know.

I didn't want to redirect you guys to the blog post just for convenience, but if you wanna see the video you can go here. For the sake of people that don't want spoilers though, maybe having it on another page would be better?

17. raravan

May 18, 2014
    good news!

18. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    Very nice! I love how the wings are animated :D

19. HEAVY

HEAVY Member

Aug 8, 2015
    This game looks like cloud master

20. nevzat666

nevzat666 Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2014
    I think you should add in lots of random events. I.e rarely stumbling across a treasure chest or hit the targets game for a +1 to power speed etc. should be easy to implement.. Right now if your first few items aren't good you may aswell reroll where in boi a bad start can potentially be turned around dramatically... I love being overpowered but this game doesn't really make me feel so. Design?