Universal Dandy: Or A Brief Glimpse Into The Life of the Candy Alchemist (By Wefiends)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by wefiends, Aug 27, 2015.

1. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    I personally don't think the game needs any leaderboards, but it would be awesome if those Steam achievements made it in.

2. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    #62 sapphire_neo, Sep 3, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
    I think if leaderboards were ever to be implemented in Dandy, it would have to be for a completely different and new mode. The default campaign mode doesn't fit well with a scoring mentality, unless scoring was to be shoehorned in and I don't think it would be a good idea to modify what already works so well.

You can look toward Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth's Greed Mode and Daily modes for scoring systems. While Greed mode is a completely new way of playing the game, effectively endless, it had be designed from the ground up. Daily mode on the other hand, just uses a common seed for all users and sees who can get get the highest score or beat the game in the fastest time. Nuclear Throne has a similar sort of daily mode.

However, I don't think Daily races/score attacks are feasible on iOS considering how leaderboards have to be setup in Game Center. They would only be possible if a proprietary server is maintained for this purpose, and that would just add more costs to the development, taking funds away from additional features to be added. But, I think leaderboards for simple fastest time to complete the game when taking a specific path wouldn't be too difficult to implement. The caveat being that most people won't even be able to beat the game.

For now I think the best step would be to add GC support for the achievements that already exist in the Steam version.

Also, I'm very happy o be evangelizing such an amazing game ^_^ (doing it on twitter too as @e4_onlyphoenix)

3. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    The art and music are so good! The game play is extremely difficult. I hope I can stick with this and get better.

4. Quazonk

Quazonk Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    #64 Quazonk, Sep 3, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
    Quick question: What do the "power ups" at the very beginning of the game (the leaves, the seed, and the egg) do? I know what most of the other power ups do, but the ones at the beginning don't seem to do anything immediately, you seem to just come out firing normal shots with each at first, regardless of which you pick. Is their function only to affect the synergy of all the other power ups you acquire as you progress?

So if you start with leaves, then leaves+lemon+marshmallow will be different than egg+lemon+marshmallow? And if that's the case, does anyone know what the specific synergetic effect of each is?

Oh, and one more vote for Steam achievements in Game Center! Leaderboards I really don't care about since this isn't really a score chaser, but achievements would be great. Loving the game Wefiends!

5. Quazonk

Mar 30, 2011
    Glad to meet you too, Raravan!

6. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    I think the item you select at the start only affects what item you unlock upon beating the game, and possibly which final boss you will fight. It is not a power up.

7. Quazonk

Mar 30, 2011
    Wefiends, can you confirm this?

8. Quazonk

Mar 30, 2011
    Also, would just like to mention a little memory issue with the game: Sometimes I have to close the app in the middle of a run, and when I open it back up the game restarts itself instead of picking up where I left off. Is there any plan to address this in an update?

9. wefiends

wefiends Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Yup that's exactly right. If it were to have larger consequences, what would you guys like to see?

Let me know what kind of phone you're running it on. We've seen this issue with the 4s and we've been working to address it, but the ram limitations make it difficult. We'll look into a dedicated "continue" function, but it'll make probably have to wait until the update after the next.

10. Quazonk

Mar 30, 2011
    Playing the game on an iPhone 6 Plus with iOS 8.4.1 (latest update).

11. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
  12. wefiends

wefiends Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Alright that's definitely a concern. We'll work on it. I know it sucks to lose a run cause you have to put away your phone, so it's jumping right to the top of our priorities.

13. Quazonk

Mar 30, 2011
    Just another reason to support the hell out of this game, and Wefiend. Support like this goes a long way in a game's community (especially around TA), I hope this release is fruitful enough that we'll see more from you.

14. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    I enjoy watching these. Thanks!

15. 8BitFlash

8BitFlash Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    I bought the game abd u love it...I just don't u understand the point. There's no scores...no levels...no high scores or anythong. So I don't understand the game. You can't even see your best run.

16. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    There are levels, there are bosses, there are unlocks. The game follows a traditional campaign format. The point of the game is to beat the final boss.

17. Nergal

Nergal Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2014
    I passed on this game because the description of the "puzzle aspect" in the game turned me off. But after watching the Let's Play video I'm sold, looks fun!

18. Nergal

Nergal Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2014
    After playing, I'll say that this is one of the better side scrolling shooters you can get on iOS. The game is tough at first, getting used to the pacing.
    The different enemy types are cool, and it's not something typically seen in shooters, where the enemies will act and react in such varied ways. Something that will take getting used to, but just adds to the style of the game and keeps me interested.
    Also worth noting is the visual style and the game controls are pretty tight. I think I'll be playing this for a while to come, I hope I will be able to clear it, it seems like a toughie, despite the cutie appearance.

19. 8BitFlash

8BitFlash Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    Seems like most every power up I get doesn't do anything except change the character appearance.

20. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    #80 sapphire_neo, Sep 5, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2015
    Every single power up has an effect, read the text carefully. Even something like the milk is unique in that it gives you an hp up and full health.

Ep. 3 of RockLeeSmile's LP: