Universal Dandara (by Raw Fury)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Feb 5, 2018.

1. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    Omg let us flip the controls around.

2. djstout

djstout Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Sportscaster & football (soccer) coach
    Taiwan & Japan
    Thank you for the answer, yeah I might get it sooner than I thought ^^

3. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    Here's a complaint about the price :eek:
    holy crap, i only got $14.10 left on my account
    :p

But when i read this...
    AND having no screen rotation right off the bat...well, that's quite a big miss for a super premium game like this, imho :eek:

Edit: oh well, guess i have to run to the supermarket to get my missing 90 cents.

4. nyanpass

nyanpass Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2017
    It's a fresh start. So far, so good. :)

5. etienu

etienu Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Pretty good so far. A little rough around the edges, but these guys know how to suck you in. I’m hooked already. I hope it lasts.

6. dbagga84

dbagga84 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2013
    I’m really enjoying. But it’s legit to say flip the controls only because any mobile gamer knows 9 times out of 10 left is move right is shoot and this game is reversed. So it takes some getting used to. I still sometimes find myself in the heat of things (dodging, jumping, shooting) accidentally shooting when I meant to jump to a different spot. It doesn’t happen so much that it ruins the experience it just can be slightly frustrating when it happens and you die lol. If I’m at full life or only missing like 1 heart I really don’t think anything of it .

7. blue rocket

blue rocket Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Wow... just dove in for about 10 mins and this game is what iOS has been missing! Fantastic controls, gorgeous graphics and an immersive environment... can’t wait to sit down tonight and really get into it! Could this finally be the metroidvania we’ve been waiting for??

8. MetaGonzo

MetaGonzo Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    I was glad to hear the controls were not to be feared and changed from nope to yeah; I’m glad I read this before pressing the button.

I know for a fact that many, many years of built up muscle-memory mean that my left hand has to move me and my right hand has to aim/alter my viewpoint.

Will jump right in when flipping becomes an option.

9. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Online Ad Sales - Pandora
    New York, NY
    Love waking up to pre-ordered games downloaded on my phone. Tried to play as much as I could before work and before wife was telling at me for playing games in the morning.

Was worried about the "fling" controls, but as it has been said, they work really well. Kind of wandering around aimlessly at this point but I assume the more I play, the more it will make sense/I'll know where to go.

Loving everything so far. I do wish I could swap the controls so left thumb moved while right was shooting.

Looking forward to playing more as this seems to be worth the price.

10. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    There are some creature-comfort issues (like the lack of screen or control flip), but this is a seriously awesome game. I love how it builds — you do start “wandering around”; soon enough, you’ve set up camp, gotten a map, found a weapon upgrade, and gained some understanding of how the world works. And then suddenly there’s purpose to your exploration.

The art is gorgeous, the controls are perfect for mobile (though being able to switch them would be good for many), and the action just zips. All in all, a winner.

11. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    Bought right before work. Looking forward to digging into the world of Dandara when return to my abode

12. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    New York, NY
    Figured as much so great to hear so thanks for that.

13. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

The game has been updated and should now feature plenty of bug fixing (if the Nintendo Switch Day One patch is any indication) and should also add screen rotation.

14. W8rd3

W8rd3 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2017
    Human paper weight
    In a human dwelling
    Impressions

Picked it up and have been spending some time with it, and besides small little problems that have been mentioned, I think it's a lot of fun:)
    The movement system is helped by like a sort of "landing assist" meaning you don't have to accurately and minutely aim where you want to go which is nice. The controls in of themselves I thought were pretty solid.
    Also I really like the art style, aesthetically speaking .
    It also has a Dark Souls, Salt and Sanctuary system of dropping your points or "salt" when you die and being able to come back and pick them back up.
    Overall I really like what they've done here with the "directionless world" thing. It doesn't feel gimmicky but rather gives you an at times overwhelming feeling of there being lots to explore and see.
    In closing I'd say if you're on the fence about it, just take the plunge. For the cost it is well worth it and just can show you what a quality premium game has to offer over the F2P malarkey and bad, no effort ports that make other platform gamers dismiss and deride mobile gaming to begin with..

It's 2018 and it's past time that mobile gaming is recognized for its own brilliance and not just for the candy crush, angry birds casual play, but also titles that launch right along side their PC and Console counterparts. Games that speak to more then just the casual time killing players.

I know I'm preaching to the choir here but I just thought it was worth saying again ;)

15. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Just saw that. Looking forward to checking out the new version.

16. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    The new version does indeed fix the screen orientation issue. I haven’t has a chance to see if you can reverse the controls.

17. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    New York, NY
    I haven't been able to find so don't think that's been updated yet

18. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Never mind...

19. brantkings

brantkings Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Game dev
    Brazil
    Hey guys! Developer here! We're hearing you!

The screen rotation fix patch won't fix inverting the controls, we're working on this right now!

All in all, hope you're enjoying the game! Fills me with happiness that you guys are liking it! :D

20. orangecan

orangecan Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    Hi Dev,

I have a quick question please, do you have any preference or opinion on whether I should be buying the Switch version or the IOS? I’m definitely buying but given they’re the same price I’m wondering if you’ve a recommendation...I’m aware that I’d normally go for physical controls given half the chance but I tend to play more of my iPad so swings and roundabouts.

Thanks in advance

(Question also goes to anyone who happens to have played both?)