Damn this new addiction

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Sceneshifter, Jun 13, 2009.

1. Sceneshifter

Sceneshifter Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    I'm checking the appstore and TA every so often to see what new stuff I can purchase, this is not going in the right direction for me :( Anyone else noticed this ?

2. Slapshot

Slapshot Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Oh, I've noticed it ever since I found this site. :p

3. Retean

Retean Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2009
    Ya and i get mad when nothing big comes out for 2 days...they really need more big name games

4. Zandog

Zandog Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Public Relations/Graphic Designer - Spiffcode Inc.
    Seattle, Wa
    Touch Arcade does offer free counseling to those who feel the guilt of involving themselves in such a well spent, yet unproductive time. It's TA's goal that every iDevice gamer feel they get their value out of visiting and offer some guidelines that may help ease their suffering.

Q: Do you spend more time on your Touch device than you do on your Mac or PC?
    A: It doesn't matter as long as you prioritize your time consciously. Play mobile games on your device, check TA on your desktop to stay regular and eat only when it hurts.

Q:
    Do you buy more than 1 app a week?
    A: Think of it as budgeting yourself from purchasing desktop game titles you'd finish in only double the time. Do the math; Average desktop title:$49.99. Average touch device title: $5.99. Your getting 8x the amount of variety at the same expense and your getting 4x the amount of time spent finishing these titles. Lets not forget replay value.

Q: Do these cash expenses and time spent interfere with your active *cough* lifestyle?
    A: Absolutely not. It was either another WoW raid or an evening with your grandmother who could bore a parliamentarian at an insurance board meeting. The money IS prioritized. Whoever said money can't buy happiness simply didn't know where to go shopping... Like the App store.

So hopefully this clears up any confusion or dismay you may have about your mobile gaming habits. If you have any more concerns, please schedule an appointment with me, I'd be glad to listen..... After I finish this next level of (insert game here).

5. I was an addict. I spent almost $500 on apps in the first 3 months I had gotten my 2G (Christmas 08). I found a solution. Get a DS or DSi and get a Slot-1 flash cart to play Nintendo DS homebrew and roms. It opens up a whole new world to linger in, and you won't be spending any money on games except the $30-40 it will cost for the flash cart.

6. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    I actually spent more money BEFORE I came here to TouchArcade. Thanks to TA I spend less money, because I buy less crappy games.

7. Alichan76

Alichan76 Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    #7 Alichan76, Jun 13, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2009
    I considered doing that, as my wife has a DS and I baulk at the cost of the games for that platform. But isn't that illegal? I know I am running the risk of sounding like a goody-two-shoes, but can't you get into trouble by downloading Homebrew games. Afterall by downloading them, you are traceable, no?

8. astrosaurus

astrosaurus Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Designer/Blogger
    Portland, OR
    I go through spurts. Sometimes I'll check ALL THE TIME and can't wait to find something new. Then sometimes I'll be really chill about it and won't care all that much. But then when you come back after not checking that often you're completely bombarded with hundreds of new games. It's pretty nuts. Before I started blogging about it I gave myself a "budget". Buy an iTunes gift card and tell yourself that's all you're allowed to spend for the month. That's what I did. Helped keep me in check. Plus that way you'll wait a bit longer and will come across more deals as well :D

9. xVietx

xVietx Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2009
    Oklahoma, USA
    HAHAHAHA. I love how their *counseling* works. It makes me feel so much better about myself and what I'm spending with my time and money. :D

10. stargazer513

stargazer513 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    hahaha funny solutions zandog

11. GaiaIllusion

GaiaIllusion Well-Known Member

May 6, 2009
    Student
    加拿大
    The App Store: It's a way of life.