Damn Cops

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Phil_Synowiec, Jul 7, 2009.

1. organerito

organerito Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2008
    I lived in the USA for 4 years (I am not American). I was a full scholarship student. A Police officer stopped me and he asked me if I spoke English and I said yes. Then, the other officer asked me the same question 2 minutes after. That's not all. they asked a third time. They also asked me if I was illegal. i told them that I didn't have to answer that question. They made get out of the car. They asked me if I had guns or knifes. I told them that was racial profiling. They told me to shut up and I asked them for their names, they got really mad and they left.

I can understand that they have to do their job. I am Mexican and I understand there are many stupid Mexican people in the USA. However, that doesn't mean that they have to treat all the same. i have so many stories about cops being very racist. I know some of them are really good and willing to help anyone, but some of the are just nasty.

2. AttackOfThePwned

AttackOfThePwned Well-Known Member

May 28, 2009
    Photographer
    San Francisco, CA
    Treat all cops with respect (even the prick cops). I know it isn't worth wasting my time arguing with them.

I was pulled over once for turning left on a red light. Cop came up and asked me why I turned left on a red. I said because it was a one way street and it is legal to do so. He went back to his car, a minute later came back and apologized telling me it had been a long day.

I could have acted like a prick and cussed him out for wasting my time but everyone has one of those days. Even though I was mad I told him not to worry and went on my way.

Rise above all the bs, act like a man and you will get more out of life IMHO. Yelling at that cop would have wasted my energy and time and I would have looked as much as a fool as I am sure he felt.

Just move on.

3. pharmx

pharmx Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2009
    Lol, why am I getting the urge to sing that NWA song?

4. HardcoreEricXXX

HardcoreEricXXX Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Virginia
    #64 HardcoreEricXXX, Jul 8, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2009
    I was pulled over while pulling into my driveway my senior year of high school for expired tags and was asked to step out of the car and wether or not he could search the vehicle. I said he could with a warrant. He said he was going to call a K-9 unit down, it was at another traffic stop. By the time they found the .7g of primo marijuana stashed with my gas cap with the dog I'd been standing there for 42 minutes, since he'd said he was getting a K-9. My lawyer appealed for the evidence to be supressed saying I had been held for an unreasonable amount of time for issuing a ticket for my tags, the judge deemed the evidence inadmissable. He never threatened to tow my car, just got a ticket, but I was pulled over pulling into my driveway.

5. CDubby94

CDubby94 Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2009
    Betty White
    #65 CDubby94, Jul 8, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2009
    That's Baltimore not Chicago.

And I may not be a skater anymore but I still love me some Nike SB's.

6. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Holy cow can I just quote this for agreement 500 times.

When I was a stupid teenage skateboarder I had the worst attitude towards cops because they kept raining on my phat grind and skate video parades. I had the whole "skateboarding is not a crime" going and everything else.

Then I grew up.

And now I realize I was really messing up curbs, benches, rails, and picnic tables as we slathered skate wax all over everything that never washed off, messed up all kinds of paint, and just generally cost taxpayers and business owners tons of money as they repaired or replaced everything we were slowly destroying.

Now I can't help but laugh when I hear skater kids complaining about cops.

7. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    My parents wouldn't buy me a skateboard because they didn't want me to be a criminal.

8. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Lol that's a little hypocritical.....:p

9. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    I can't really imagine Hodapp as a skate punk..............sorta shocked.

10. dorino

dorino Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2009
    #70 dorino, Jul 8, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
    removed made up story

11. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    1) Why?
    2) Why?!
    3) ...!
    4) Yeah, they don't tend to like that.

12. sundance kid

sundance kid Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    eehhh
    BFE,AZ
    how ironic, read this thread yesterday, and tonight i get pulled over. gonna have to go to f-ing traffic school for 8 hours.8am-4pm
    that's a lot of iphone gaming time
    so im gonna bring my iphone and ipod touch :) ha

i should go start one of the" i have a eight hour traffic school class to go to, what games should i get?" thread hahahaha just kidding
    i have enough games to keep me happy, while they talk BS in the class.

13. AaronAMV

AaronAMV Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    WHO KNOWS
    why don't you do thetraffic school online? :/

14. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    I don't think that's allowed in Surprise Arizona. I had to go traffic school a couple years ago in Casa Grande and they said I had to physically be present. And to the guy who hit the cop for taking your computer, your name wouldn't happen to be Jey would it? Hahahha had a friend who did that. ****in moron.

15. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    Hrmmmm.... brand new skateable benches. Where did you say they are? ;)
    Just kidding of course, that does suck and I feel your pain on that one. Skateboarding ruins objects, it's the nature of the beast. What is crazy is the people that don't understand why, they think skaters just ruin curbs and rails as like a form of vandalism, like and F YOU to society or something. That's not true of course, it's just the nature of our hobby. Skateboarding requires sliding rails, grinding curbs, and doing tricks down stairs. The problem I had growing up was there just wasn't anywhere to legally skate, there wasn't tons of skateparks around like there are nowadays. So being a teenager and going behind my local grocery store to ruin their shiny red curbs was pretty much my only option. It's not like I hated the grocery store or anything, in fact I picked the most out of the way place behind the store where no cars were, no trucks unloaded, and would generally be out of everyone's way. I didn't WANT to attract trouble, I just wanted a place to skate. I've been to countless city council meetings lobbying to get a skatepark built, only to have it shot down every time because of insurance reasons. So basically, the police and city's answer to kids like me was "better get another hobby". Wow. What a brilliant solution. It was very frustrating as a youngster. There were places to play basketball, football, baseball diamonds, a roller rink (no skateboards allowed there either), a dirt bike track, an RC car track, golf course & driving range, an ice hockey rink, even a freakin horseshoe pit. All within a few miles of my house, yet there was absolutely nowhere they allowed somebody to skateboard. So illegally taking it to the streets was really our only option. It's not fair skaters ruin people's property, no. But it's also not fair to not provide an adequate place for people to participate in the hobby of their choice. Anyhoo, a few years ago skateboarding got classified as a hazardous sport, therefore making the insurance liability for skateparks be more of a non-issue. And now you see many skateparks being built. I'm an old man now, so don't skate as often as before, but when I do I usually just go down to the skatepark. It's just easier, no one hassles me and I'm not vandalizing anyones new picnic benches or anything. But skateboarding's roots will always be in street obstacles. That's part of the fun, scoping out some architecture that's clearly not meant for skating and then finding a way to skate it. It's just the way it is. And just so you know, my dad is a retired Sheriff's Deputy (as well as Vietnam Vet and volunteer Fireman) so I respect the Hell out of what you do for a living. As was said, there are good cops and bad cops, nothing will ever change that. All I ask from police is to be treated fairly, and talked to like a human being. They don't even have to be nice, I understand you have to be a little dickish when dealing with the public like you do. But sometimes they are just so overzealous, and self righteous, that you feel helpless as they abuse their power. But as I said in my earlier post, some cops have been super cool to me as a skater over the years, and I will always appreciate those officers. Hell, a good majority of the cops that stop me for skating start off with "I use to skateboard back in the day..."

Oh and TBQH, the BMX bikes are the things that REALLY f*ck up curbs/benches. Skating might make it waxy and black, but the bikes take huge chunks of concrete out, and basically destroy it enough to where you can't even SKATE on it anymore. Sorry bikers, I like you guys, but it's true. So JC be on the lookout for those guys :)

Wow, sorry but that is spoken like a true poser. I'm gonna take a guess here, I'm thinking you're probably in your mid-twenties. So, about ten years ago, that's when skating really started getting popular. The X-games had been around for a few years, Tony Hawk came out with Pro Skater as well as busting out a 900, skateboarding was THE cool thing to do at this time. And so I'm sure that's when you decided to pick up skating. I'm guessing you weren't very good at all, cause skating is one of the hardest "sports" to learn in the world. It takes years of dedication, and countless hours daily of practicing to even become somewhat decent at skating. I'm guessing you didn't skate for more than a year, maybe two tops. Then when the fad died down a little, or you moved onto another hobby, you dropped skateboarding and decided that it was just a stupid kids phase. And that's where I think your point just fails wildly. Skateboarding might have been a misguided fashion trend for you, but for countless others it's not just a lifelong hobby, but a passion that cannot even be described. It's the kind of thing that will consume your very being, become your constant infatuation, be the thing that you just cannot stop thinking about. It's basically something you can't explain, and to those that don't also skate they will never get it. And this is how I've determined you are a poser. I have quite a few very close friends who are accomplished professional skaters. They travel the world for free many times over, all have now bought at least one house, own extremely nice cars, and make salaries well into six figures or more. But I'm sure someday they'll grow up and move past all that, right?

Ok, I am coming off extremely harsh towards you Hodapp, it's not totally my intention. Are there knuckleheads out there that destroy property and are dicks to cops and others on purpose? Absolutely. Those people may have skateboards, but they are certainly not skaters. REAL skaters only care about one thing, skating. They'll never be dicks to someone for no reason, or destroy property just cause they can. They just want to get their skate on, and if it means you gotta skate on some other peoples property then so be it. Sorry, no malicious intent, it's just the way things are. I'm sure you could find something about EVERY sport that's either damaging to property or our environment. We shouldn't play baseball anymore cause all the trees we kill to make bats, or not let anyone jetski anymore cause it pollutes the water. Or can somebody PLEASE think of the poor piggies we kill to make a pigskin football!? NFL banned. Unfortunately, skateboarders during the 80's and early 90's picked up the stigma of being punks, and scums of society, and for the most part they did act that way. But a lot has changed since then, those types are still around but there's a whole slew of skaters who grew up with decent families, stayed out of trouble, aren't drug addicts or criminals, etc. Skating is just their passion. It's a hard stigma to shake, as skating is such a new activity, relatively speaking. Ok, this is possibly my longest rant ever, it's just hard to explain my point. Maybe I'm wasting my time, I just think it's asinine to prejudge skateboarders as stupid kids that vandalize property for no reason, and they should just grow up and quit being so smart allecky. I mean, maybe all of us should just grow up and quit dicking around with these silly iPhone games, too.

Well then, might I suggest some shiny new Stefan Janoski's?? This is one of the accomplished pro skaters I spoke of earlier, and a good friend of mine. Better hurry and snag a pair, before he "grows up" and starts doing something productive with his life.

16. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Not really, I still skate, just at skate parks. Although, after various injuries and just getting old in general I don't skate anywhere near as much as I used to. Instead I'm more in to community activism and played a part in getting my local park district to allocate some funding to build a park in my area. I've also been involved in a few different charities/programs to get inner city kids in Chicago off the streets and in to skate parks as well as helping indie skate companies get online in my spare time.

Tentatively working with Native Skates next, which is run by a good friend of mine who was has skateboards of his on display at the Smithsonian.

It's not as much fun as skating, but getting kids involved is pretty rewarding. I actually recently gave my last board away to a kid who snapped his, so I haven't been out this season at all.

As far as ruining your grocery store's curbs as your "only option", CCS has been around as long as I can remember and has always sold ramp and rail kits. Hell, you can build your own ramps and rails with construction scraps and other materials that can be found cheaply and easily at your local hardware store.

There's really no excuse for damaging property with your hobby, regardless of how you rationalize the "need". Calling me a poser because I respect the financial investments taxpayers and business owners have made in public and private property is kind of naive.

17. jchampl

jchampl Well-Known Member

what if my hobby was punching old people in the face, it isn't that I dislike old people, it's just that it's the nature of my hobby. is that okay then?

i don't care what your hobby is, when there is a skate park less than a mile away from where I have my business that features boxes, kick ramps, vert ramp, rails, and other stuff as well, it's just plain rude.

18. le'deuche123

le'deuche123 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    JChampl-your sig says retiring....does this mean we'll get a good bye thread for you?? I will bring cake and cookies, if someone elses grabs chips and soda.

19. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

He's not allowed to retire without finding a beer nut to take his place.

20. le'deuche123

le'deuche123 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    I like beer, but I think we all know, my preference lies elsewhere:) Wouldn't mind a brewsky right now though....