Universal Daggervale (by Concept Softworks)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Jan 16, 2015.

1. ConceptSoftworks

Feb 3, 2015
    Game Developer
    Tucson, Arizona
    #21 ConceptSoftworks, Feb 11, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
    Apologies for the bump and double-post, but I figured you guys would like to know we finally managed to troubleshoot the dungeon stairs issue and properly fix it - and are submitting a new patch to Apple.

Everything should be solid in Daggervale 1.4.5 - I want to thank you all for your suggestions, and help in this matter, it has made our iOS release rather smooth.

You can read the release notes here: http://blog.conceptsoftworks.com/daggervale-1-4-5-release-notes/

I will make sure to post here as soon as the patch becomes publicly available!

Also, in the meantime - for those of you wishing to descend the dungeon, there is a current work around - simply tap the 'Descend Dungeon' label on your screen and it should work fine. The current problem involves the interact button in the dungeon - which will be fixed in 1.4.5 :)

Best Regards,
    Tyler Olsen
    Concept Softworks

2. speetz

speetz Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2013
    So I have had my eye on this game for a while. I love RPGs and the App Store is devoid of real ones. Battle heart legacy the biggest exception as of late, and IMO one of the best games on there.

I saw the free version was up of Daggervale and have it a download thinking since the start my iPhone 4 wouldn't keep up. Turns out it does fine. But I was letdown by some things, eve though the games engine seems great.

There is only four stats and not anywhere close to enough skills; no stealth set or anything like that, even. And with a game that uses the one town one dungeon diablo method ( I HATE when people compare games or say "it's diablo on yer fone" but that aspect is at least true) one would need a LOt of depth otherwise to have me consider paying five bucks, the same as BHL, for the full version.

On top of that, the menus seem very... Idk hollow? I was thinking cheap but didn't want to use a word with such a negative connotation, because they may be quite practical.

I dunno, this developer, who I am basically speaking to, seems to want hard to make a good game, but that is my biggest issue. Depth. As someone who has played thousands of RPGs and action RPGs, rogue likes, and whatever else, depth and character development are number one to me.

As far as combat and other things, I'll come back when I have more to add. Thanks for the game tho, concept!

3. speetz

speetz Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2013
    And after playing the whole demo, I have a lot to say. Lol.

So the controls are a bit wonky, but again I am on an iPhone 4 so that probably has something to do with it. Combat is so incredibly easy, at least on medium. Reason isn't the strength of the mobs, they just don't do anything. I can blast the with magic and they rarely come try to kill me. And when they do I have enough power defense an block they don't really do anything, even if I skip levels of the dungeon.

Also, the quests for billy are bugged. They only sometimes actually are able to be turned in. Otherwise he says come back, even though the quest log says it's complete.

I dunno, this game has great potential, but unless there are more monsters after level ten, more depth in skills and such added, abilities, etc. I can't imagine really anyone who has played through the demo paying a whole 4.99$ on it. It's way too watered down. BHL is worth that cash, games that aren't RPGs like junk jack x are worth that, because they have depth, replay value, and are polished, hardly any if any at all bugs. And radiation island is 2.99$ and has an enormous amount of content, though I haven't played sadly because I can't run it on my devices. RI is a bit of an anomoly, but this is your competition; games that are premium with no or little IAP that have waaaaay more content that just a bunch of levels Of a randomly generated dungeon that all look exactly the same. Which reminds me, there are tons of times I was following a hallway (a copy and paste looking hallway, the same one I went down everyone essentially) and it just ends. Nothing there. That's no fun. Either is only one spell and the only difference between the different elements is color really. You basically have only four, from what I can tell. It looks like sixteen, but ehhhh....

On the positive I love the engine, the heart and effort. You can tell you put a lot into this game. But put more, and drop the price.

Oh and one last thing; the buttons, both in menus and on the GUI. They need to feel like they are buttons being pressed. Make them light up or something or make a click noise when we press them. If I hit the attack button, show me. And the potion buttons need a better iconic, I had no idea that I had some until I bought some and it didn't change. And I basically guessed what those buttons were.

Again, thanks for the game (demo) and keep going. It's a solid effort to be sure. The demo idea I love also, wish more games still did something like that if they could hide them from the App Store , since it gets cluttered.

Ok I'm done rambling, thanks.

4. ConceptSoftworks

Feb 3, 2015
    Game Developer
    Tucson, Arizona
    #24 ConceptSoftworks, Feb 25, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
    Thanks for all the feedback, i'll try and address everything :)

First off, we are aware of the easy-to-fight mobs and will be introducing a difficulty increase for hardcore players in the next patch - we've made improvements on these mobs in the past (added support mobs, such as the healer, or the enchantress) and have plans to do more in the future along the lines of what mobs do - including adding more mob types.

As for the quests, are you sure they weren't an item quest? If you get an item quest, and fail to return with the item - the quest giver will not allow you to turn it in.

As for the stats/skills, that is correct - the game have 4 major stats (just like all other Action RPGs) that effect the damage you do based on the weapon you have equipped and 16 minor skills that effect how the game is played in both combat and non-combat ways - learning for higher exp gain, luck for higher gold drops and a better chance of getting magic items. and bartering for better trade rates in town.

In fact, we've been told that the game offers an impressive list of skills that allow players to control nearly every aspect of the game. I do not see how stealth could play into the game, but if you beg to differ, please do let me know :)

As for tactile feedback from the buttons - It's a good idea, and one we plan to add in the future.

There is many more dungeons beyond level 10 - in fact, the current dungeon limit is 2,147,483,647 levels, and as you get further down, the mobs are harder and the loot is greater. In Daggervale, everything from mobs to items to the dungeon are randomly generated, giving a near infinite amount of content to play through.

And correct, we provided the demo, which lets you experience nearly everything in the game, just limited to 10 dungeon and character levels.

Finally, I would like to add that we do have many more features planned, as you said, we're dedicated to this game and wish to make it the best we can, and that being said, we truly do appreciate your feedback.

To give you an idea of what we have planned for the future of DV, here is a short list of the features we wish to add:

• Arena - Allow players to fight waves of mobs, and even player ghosts for gold - as well as a new quest line to become the arena champion
    • Companions - Ability to recruit pets that'll fight with you, serve as a beast-of-burden, as well as travel to down to buy/sell items for you
    • Crafting/Refining - We have always wanted to give players access to our robust item generation system, and we plan to do so, players will be able to salvage items, and use components to create items that have randomly generated stats based on their level with a certain margin of error (also based on luck)
    • Town Activities - One thing a lot of people have wanted for quite some time was a more interactive town, we have plans to add a few things players can do in town to earn gold, experience, and perhaps items (if they're lucky) Primarily, we're working on adding fishing right now.

However, please note that is a list of only the major things we intend to add - we also have many minor features we wish to add.

EDIT: I would also like to inform you all that 1.4.5 went live the other day - and we're nearly ready to submit 1.4.6, which mainly includes over a hundred bug fixes for iOS. We'll be releasing more news about that sometime early next week!

5. Duke12

Duke12 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2013
    I think I reported same issue, Billy seems to be bugged indeed.

6. gemineye62

gemineye62 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2010
    I do not see a demo for this game in the Canadian store .

Thanks

7. speetz

speetz Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Yeah billy is definitely bugged. Thank you so much for the response!!!

When it comes to the stat and skill thing, what other action RPGs only have four? BHL has 8? I believe. But the stats aren't as much of a thing to me as some of the skills. I dunno, they just don't seem very interesting to me but I could see it getting more interesting as time went on... If there were more mobs, with more abilities and a better AI. So besides the spider demon Cerberus dark knight barbarian blob bandit and fire Mage were there more that either I didn't see or come up later? The healer I noticed but I think I did miss the enchantress, which is a good thing.I might have forgotten a couple there but I am very curious. And as far as their difficulty do they gain more spells and abilities or is it a base stat increase for them?

And randomly generated is great! As long as I don't get randomly generated into searching down dead ends with literally nothing at the end of them multiple times in a level.

As far as stealth, how could it not be? I mean I do think the AI as of now is strange in that it doesn't seem to register every time that the player is there but still, imagine helping stealth, then monsters not being able to attack you (depending in level of both stealth and the mob) then using a melee abilitie or eve spell (I know there aren't melee abilities, but there could be, which would make putting points into those melee skills that much better) then getting a damage multiplier on the first hit. Many games, action RPG or otherwise, use a system like this. There are many other ways to go about it, with many ways to make it unique also.

The stuff you are adding looks great! I am not a huge crafting person but it's always useful and can add some depth. Arena sounds fun, and makin the town more alive is always a good idea, maybe with more quest givers with more interesting quests. Two types is a little thin, though it does the job of giving some kind of goal.

Look, I am not trying to bash your game at all. I just love RPGs and nowadays they are few and far between on the App Store, since games like Zenonia and Inotia or 9th Age and such. Rogue likes and JRPGs are the closest thing to haveing much of a surplus, though not all are good, obviously. So if I ever see someone trying to do something really cool, it excites me, so I just wanna give my opinion and feedback in relation to other great games that have had great success on the App Store. (Or at least success as far as RPGs and non-clones go :p) but anyway, not trying to offend, good luck, and I'll definitely keep an eye on this one for purchase... Especially if there is a price drop. :)

8. ConceptSoftworks

Feb 3, 2015
    Game Developer
    Tucson, Arizona
    We do not think you are in anyway, we appreciate your feedback, it let's us know what to add, and more importantly - what to work on!

As for your concerns, I will make sure they've given a fair look over, we have a good track record of adding user-requested features :)

9. Repulsa

Repulsa Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2015
    I just discovered this game and Speetz I have no idea what your problem is. This game has way more to offer in my opinion, then BHL. You have the ability to buy and sell with other players. That's a system very unique to this game. I can see the amazing direction the developers are going with this game. The only thing it's missing is multiplayer co-op ( hint hint) a little nervous about the last update being so long ago but I'm hoping the next one will be massive and implement all the neat stuff the developers mentioned working on. There are a ton of action rpg dungeon crawlers out there that are completely riddled with greedy IAP. It has completely ruined them for me. Thank god for Dagger Vale, a premium game worth every penny that is proof of what developers that care more about their project then your cash can create.