Universal Cyber Gargoyle – The Fettered Mind (by Uros Anderlic) [Temporarily Pulled]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by FGA, Dec 14, 2016.

1. FGA

FGA Member

Jul 30, 2015
    #1 FGA, Dec 14, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
    IMPORTANT PLEASE READ!

Hi everyone,

thank you for your support for Cyber Gargoyle, it means a lot to us.

The app was taken down today. It was a tough decision, but some bugs that were solved in the last days before release caused some new ones, which were not noticed at that time. Nothing big the player can still finish the game, but it is not how we like to release games. Although the controls work as they should, there is sometimes an issue if two buttons are pressed at ones, the avatar behaves differently than expected, nothing big again as not pressing a button re-sets everything to normal. Further, the controls will be also improved in the way that it will give the player a more dynamic feeling and the flame-button will be repositioned to bottom-right as suggested by Solarclipse - thanks!

To rush an update now, in the last week before Christmas, could lead to new bugs. So, the game will get more time to get polished as it deserves it. Thank you everyone for your understanding and hopefully you will get soon a great Metroidvania game with no bugs, polished controls, and better animations.

Thank you again and Merry Christmas!

2. MintCity

MintCity Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2016
    The price is REALLY steep for a game from an unknown company/developer. The screen shots do not look flattering either... I think others will agree. I was interested in this because it reminded me of an old SNES game.

3. As a big fan of gargoyles, I got excited at the icon and title image, but have to agree. The actual screenshots don't grab me.

4. chuckfinley

chuckfinley Active Member

Nov 28, 2013
    Mojito bar
    Agree. Having flashbacks to old PC, Atari and Snes games.

5. TheGodless

TheGodless Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2013
    I don't care so much about the graphics as long as the game is great. Until someone I trust takes the plunge and confirms that it's as great as the games it is being compared to, I must hold off on risking so much money for a game. Hope the game is great and I one day am able to buy it though.

6. MintCity

MintCity Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2016
    I couldn't agree more. If it was 2.99 I would have instantly taken the plunge on this one. 5.99 is more than Crashlands (another game in my sights) that provides cross/platform play from a well-known and established company of developers. It's known to have many hours worth of gameplay. I just don't see this game comparing without any deeper knowledge of the game itself. That's just how I see it. It's just my opinion, of course!:)

7. djstout

djstout Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Sportscaster & football (soccer) coach
    Taiwan & Japan
    Same here, I don't mind paying good money for a quality game but this one even tho it has some potential, looks a bit empty and very slow.

8. FGA

FGA Member

Jul 30, 2015
  9. Solarclipse

Solarclipse Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Ah hell. I'll TOFT.

10. Solarclipse

Solarclipse Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2012
    #10 Solarclipse, Dec 16, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
    Impressions

I've played for maybe 30 minutes.

The game starts you off with a prologue attacking a lab, ending with a battle I don't think you can win. You find yourself in the sewers without any memory, and your abilities downgraded.

You have a fireball, iceball, and acidball? (nope, the booklet says earth ball). Ice freezes enemies and lets you wall jump off of spikes. earth ball will corrode cracked walls so you can pass through.

You really need to read the booklet...After doing so, I was a little more inclined to keep playing. At first, you don't know if you found a special item or just bonus points...and then looking at the map in the booklet, there is kind of an order—I'm not sure how recommended it is but I know the first place I went to I got creamed.

The controls are stodgy in a way that kind of makes sense for the character, but that and the speed discourages exploration a bit. You can't move and fire, or move and jump at the same time, and that doesn't help either. Devs, if you ever show up here, please revamp the controls. On an ipad in particular, the fireball switch isn't very intuitive to use in the top-left corner. It makes more sense to be in the bottom right.

On another note, I did encounter a bug twice, it seems to kick in if you shoot and turn around at the same time, and then you character keeps firing backward and you can't move left or right. That just needs to be looked at. A little minimap would encourage exploration a little more too, but that's just icing.

Otherwise, the iOS platform is sorely in need of metroidvanias. Swordigo is waaaay more fun than this, that was an amazing game. I would appreciate some recommendations, actually! Point is though, this is kind of castlevania-ish and has some potential but the controls need some love. I'll say 3 stars for now, maybe I'll pick it up again later now that i've read the booklet.

11. TheGodless

TheGodless Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2013
    Thanks for taking the plunge. I will be keeping an eye out for an update on the controls and maybe a sale before I give the game a try.

12. neca

neca Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2010
    Looks like Demon's Crest, however that game had one of the best control schemes ever.

13. sinagog

sinagog Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2014
    Thanks, solarclipse! As to recs, Aquaria, Shantae: Risky's Revenge and Astronot are all killer.

14. Intendro

Intendro Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2013
    The screenshots showed the controls not being at the edges of the screen. Most games have the controls at the edges.
    (Well, you know, I mean they just have the Left arrow at the left edge, the Jump button at the right edge, and everything else where you'd expect in relation to those buttons.)
    I'm used to everything doing this. And it makes it easier for me to "feel" where the controls are...

Options?