iPad Cutthroat Tactics

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by SudoWorks LLC, Jan 29, 2009.

1. SudoWorks LLC

SudoWorks LLC Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2008
    Our App used to have a rating of four stars.

The same day our only competition lowered his price we got hit with five one star reviews. Instantly our App fell like a rock and we went from 150 sales per day to only 15. :(

Now that we released our update our is back into the top 100 and in the same area as it was before (but not the same sales) We have had five, five star reviews since we updated but our rating has not changed at all.
    Yesterday I noticed a new five star review and then two hours later it was removed. Now we got hit by two one star reviews, this time they did not even write, they just submitted a blank one star review :confused:

What's interesting is that we have now passed our competition in ranking and we have started to receive one star reviews once again.

Honestly as much as I hate to think it, I feel that our competition is sabotaging our rating. This is not something new as I have read about other devs dealing with this type of thing. It's just sad that someone would stoop so low. :(

2. eeenmachine

eeenmachine Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Independent Game Developer
    San Diego, CA
    That is total crap, I hope you're able to fix things or get Apple's attention somehow.

3. superbad

superbad Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    CEO. Reviewer. Beta Tester.
    You need to stalk me?
    #3 superbad, Jan 29, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
    this would make for a PERFECT game title!

---

but seriously. that is so unfair for them to do that.

4. Tennisking1o1

Tennisking1o1 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    Wow, it's a shame if the Devs really are doing that. You guys have gotten glowing reviews from this site, so a 2.5 average is pretty strange, especially the timing of it. It's a dog-eat-dog world I guess in the App Store, and the better apps should have the higher ratings, but everyone wants money... Sorry if you're being sabotaged mate, I would feel horrible if I were in your position

5. woojaekeem

woojaekeem Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2009
    Student.
    Washington D.C. The 703!
    Aww I thought this was a thread for some Pirate themed Tactics Game. :(

But that's wrong of them. Fire Back? aha.

6. i know lol

i searched for "cutthroat tactics" right away cuz i wanted to play it (oops)

7. skubish

skubish Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Who looks at ratings? Seriously you guys spend to much time considering, thinking about, complaining about stars. Your sales probably dropped off because people were buying the cheaper app not because of stars.

The 1 star ratings could be people deleting the app. If they don't submit a review iTunes gives it a 1 star rating.

Life is too short to worry about stars. Focus on making great apps and giving out promos to websites that review apps.

I look at 4 places for new apps.
    Touch Arcade
    AppVee
    MacRumors
    YouTube (gameplay videos)
    IGN

The only time I see iTunes is the click thru links.

8. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    Sounds like someone needs a visit from the brass knuckle fairy.

...I'm not saying you should hurt anybody, but... you know... sometimes people get hurt. That's all I'm saying.;)

Attached Files:

9. SudoWorks LLC

Dec 10, 2008
    Well I have said it a few times but something is just not right.

here is how our reviews block out

We have: 29 reviews

15 Five Star Reviews

6 Four Star Reviews

1 Three Star Review

2 Two Star Reviews

5 One Star Reviews

That's 111 Total Stars Divided by 29 total reviews

3.8 Stars per review is the average. ?

Our current rating is 2.5 stars :mad:

10. pablo19

pablo19 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Just posted a 4 star review one itunes after reading, whats your competition anyways?

11. Tennisking1o1

Tennisking1o1 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    Also, not every review has a written part. People can just rate a game on iTunes on their computer or when they delete it off their iPod they just give it a star rating.

12. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Yes, mostly the bad rate comes from the rating when deleting directly on the phone.

13. kyllin

kyllin Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    I just bought it the other day

I like it, I'll go give a good review right now.

14. SudoWorks LLC

Dec 10, 2008
    I think most people could figure it out for themselves. I'm not going to stoop to that level though. I don't want to damage anyone else's name I just want to clear ours.

15. SudoWorks LLC

Dec 10, 2008
    True but the numbers should be about the same. if people like it they will usually rate it well.

16. Donburns99

Donburns99 Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    ColdFusion Web Developer
    Rhode Island
    I've never done it, as I always delete my apps from the iTunes library or unsync them manually and allow them to uninstall off my iDevice. But from what I can tell, when you delete an app directly off the iDevice, it gives some sort of prompt where the default is a 1-star rating. If a user just presses "OK" and blows by the prompt, a 1-star rating gets submitted. I don't think the people even know they left a 1-star rating for your app, it's most likely unintentional.

If someone can explain the process better, I'd personally like to know what exactly happens.

17. SudoWorks LLC

Dec 10, 2008
    Yes it's called "Rate on Delete" it asks you if you would like to submit a review. If you say yes then it asks you how many stars you want to give it.

It's really easy for someone to make a few accounts and just rate/delete with a 1 star. The system is way too easy to abuse as it's all anonymous.

18. SudoWorks LLC

Dec 10, 2008
    Also Interesting thing to note...

One of the people who rated my App ONE STAR.

Rated my competitions app FIVE STARS.

If that's not fishy I don't know what is.

19. snow_mani

snow_mani Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    Your explanation is correct. When you delete an app from your idevice you are are asked if you want to rate the app.

If you say "No Thanks" then no rating is left. And any prior rating from a previous removal or from a review you left via iTunes remains.

If you choose to do so then you assign a star rating for the app. This star rating overrides any previous star rating you gave the app either when previously removing it via your idevice or when/if you reviewed it via iTunes. If you had previously left a review with text content via iTunes then the text content remains but the review will now show the latest star rating you gave the app. If you had never left a review via iTunes with text content then the star rating is not shown in the reviews section but will effect the overall rating for the app. The star rating you left does show up when you go into your iTunes account and manage your reviews. The star rating is also visible if you view the reviews left by a specific iTunes user.

So this accounts for a different rating overall for an app than if you view all the reviews left in iTunes and then average the reviews.

20. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    So did I :(

Now I'm just disappointed. Both at the tactics employed by sneaky app sellers, and the lack of a strategy game starring pirates.

Seriously...if anyone is looking for ideas for their next game, look no further.

Pirates + Strategy (whether real time or turn based = WIN

And, look...you've already got a killer title: Cutthroat Tactics