iPad Cut the Rope (by Zeptolab)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Oct 5, 2010.

1. Burton

Burton Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Canada
    How do you beat 1-21? :D

2. Sambo110

Sambo110 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Australia
    I've only gotten 2 stars in that one, three stars in all others in world one and half of world 2 and 3, but not that level :\

3. Burton

Burton Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Canada
    Yea, I know of two ways to get 2 stars, but no ways to get 3 :p

4. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Dude. It's so easy, you'll kick yourself.

5. shyguy3

shyguy3 Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2010
    Yeah, if I remember correctly I believe the game was tetris. I just think it's rather funny that strong contenters such as "Fragger", "Monster Dash" and "Slice It!" couldn't displace AB, yet this game that game out of nowhere managed to do it. Only time will tell how popular this game will be but it's nice to finally see something different at the top even if it's for a short time.

6. Watabou

Watabou Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2008
    Glad that god awful game finally is out of the top spot and I hope it stays that way.

Anyways, I got all 3 stars now in all levels so I'm just waiting for the update :D

7. Sambo110

Nov 27, 2008
    Australia
    Finished 1-21, it was easy. I got 3 stars in every level in the Fabric box, but no achievement for finishing it. Anyone else have this problem?

8. eugekava

eugekava Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    Angry Birds devs kept the game at the top by not being greedy and looking after their fans with tons of updates with extra levels and features. Most other devs would've charged for extra stuff. If you ask me AB deserves to be at the top. If Zeptolab looks after us as well, who knows, they may stay at the top for as long as AB or longer.

9. triggywiggy

triggywiggy Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Freelance writer, Student, Casually employed in re
    Perth, Western Australia
    Earlier in this thread the dev confirmed another update was on its way with more levels 'Very Soon'. :D

10. synagence

synagence Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Its clear that Chillingo have a cracking app on their hands with opportunity to enhance the 'story' and add content etc

And i agree that Angry Birds deserves the credit it gets ... they've never ceased adding new content and levels which many charge for or just let the games languish unfinished/bug ridden (EA + SimCity i'm looking squarely at you)

CtR has the same instant playability and grab that AB's did for me and i only watched 30 seconds of the preview video before my finger hit the 'buy' button in the Appstore .... casual gaming at its very very best

11. triggywiggy

Jan 24, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Agreed. And yeh EA Get up of your bums and take a look at these Devs putting there effort into making games that EVERYONE can play that have continues updates and dont take up 1 10th of your ipod and your monthly download limit.

12. holymadness

holymadness Active Member

Sep 17, 2010
    #152 holymadness, Oct 8, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2010
    I bought this based on hype and positive reviews. It was only 0,79 € so no big loss but I feel like I should have just waited for the lite version.

I've passed about 50 levels after an hour of play and I'm bored with it. The puzzles are simplistic and the solutions don't require a lot of brain power to figure out, unlike in Beyond Ynth or Trainyard. Instead, difficulty is created by forcing players to have quick reflexes or perform complicated multitouch moves. None of which is inherently bad, I guess, but it's less rewarding imo, especially in a puzzle game.

Yes, the graphics are polished but the box environments are sterile and dull and feel claustrophic after a while. The music is somewhat grating and quickly becomes repetitive.

The 15 included GameCenter achievements are a bit of a laugh; it's hardly a challenge to obtain every one. That means rankings boil down to overall points, which are judged by time spent beating each level. Again, I don't find races against the clock very thrilling. This relative poverty underlines the simplicity of the game mechanics, which attempt to mix and match the same 5 or 6 elements in different combinations in order to vary the levels. Ho-hum.

I give them credit for releasing a very polished, completed, and inexpensive game which obviously appeals to many, but I feel it lacks the sophistication to make it anything better than an average gaming experience, especially in comparison to a lot of other things out there.

3/5 stars

13. triggywiggy

Jan 24, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    You should wait untill you get to the harder levels then it gets difficult. Dont judge strategy Games on the first lot of levels wait untill you get to the 2nd half of the game to judge it.

14. holymadness

holymadness Active Member

Sep 17, 2010
    #154 holymadness, Oct 8, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2010
    Maybe if I were writing a commercial review, but for my purposes I think what I've played through is adequate to form an opinion.

If what you say is true, it's a problem that the first 50% of the game is too simplistic. It's equally problematic if the first half doesn't accurately reflect the second half. I can think of a dozen strategy games that demonstrate all their potential early on, while either exponentionally or logarithmically increasing the difficulty over time. Carcassonne is a good example.

In any case, your response doesn't address my fundamental criticisms about the music, the environments, the achievement system, or the game mechanics.

15. triggywiggy

Jan 24, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    In my opinion the Music is good the Environments are good the achievements are good just needs a few more and the game mechanics are fine.

16. Donovan1209

Donovan1209 Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2010
    United States
    All stars on worlds 1 & 2, stuck on a few in 3 and not finished with 4

17. Sambo110

Nov 27, 2008
    Australia
    So anyone know about the second box achievement not unlocking? I have 100% this game, except for that achievement, and don't want to have to restart the game to unlock it :\

18. I do have to agree that puzzle games shouldn't rely to any significant degree on reflexes or speedruns to complete a level. It's fine to have them sprinkled around but I do feel like CtR had a few too many of those, which tended to take away from the puzzle aspect in an attempt to put something other than your brain to the test, an aspect which should really be reserved for a different type of game. I tend to groan whenever I come across a level with stars you have to collect before they disappear, or levels with spiders and bellows and stuff where you need deft timing and reflexes to solve it.

It's one thing to deal with timing issues, such as getting your bubble-ensconced candy around a rotating spike wall or something, that's fine and is even fun, but some of those other timed and aspects just add a layer of pressure this game doesn't need and is in fact served poorly by.

Not that it stops me from enjoying the game, but those timed levels do put me off going any further until I've mustered the wherewithal to deal with it just so I can put it behind me and get on to some more enjoyable levels.

19. synagence

synagence Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    I don't treat these puzzlers like i would a game like Real Racing or something .... i use them as moment fillers ... times when you have a minute or 5 to just do a few levels and leave it ... Some people seem to just sit down and plough through the game and complain they've done it in an hour... maybe you can but i do think sometimes thats kinda missing the point.

20. dboeren

dboeren Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    I'm nearly done with the game, two more levels to go plus one level I need to go back and redo because I only got two stars. I'm currently stuck on 4-24 where I can get all three stars easily, I just can't figure out how to deliver the candy afterward...

The later levels do get quite interesting and require a lot more cleverness to pass, I'm hoping we won't have to wait too long for additional levels to be released. However, even the late levels do have a few easy ones interspersed with the tricky ones. Not that that's a bad thing necessarily.