Universal Cut the Rope 2 - (by ZeptoLab UK Limited)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    #61 Bool Zero, Dec 19, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
    That's exactly why I play puzzle games; to solve it by itself! Power ups and such feel manipulative to me (especially when you attach a price tag to them), but that's just my personal opinion.

Thanks for your assessment... I don't know, the power up thing has me iffy, but I may take the plunge anyway. I'm still open to more opinions though as I won't make my decision definite until later tonight!

2. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Yeah, that size is a clinker too, especially with so many big (in size) games that released just this week alone... I am hurting for space. But I have no sue with buying a game and loading it later...

3. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Can someone explain the use of CONSUMABLE power-ups to get the clovers in the levels? Since these power-ups are CONSUMABLE, it means you ONLY have a limited number of retries before they run out. Does this mean that you can lock yourself out of completing the game (with the clovers) without PURCHASING IAP?

This has never happened before to Cut the Ropes series, as I recall. IAPs in previous games are optional and do not impede completion of the game. This is VERY DIFFERENT.

Is this correct?

4. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    5 star review?! Dang! That's a lot.

5. GeorgyKurgan

GeorgyKurgan Member

May 14, 2013
    Community Manager at ZeptoLab
    Not exactly. First of all, collecting clovers is completely optional, as are the bonus levels. These are for completionists and other very persistent human beings :)

Second, every day you get a daily gift with a random powerup (or multiple powerups of the same type), so buying things is in no way mandatory.

6. ednan

ednan Well-Known Member

I beg to differ. They're not optional by any means. You don't unlock 3-star achievements without them.
    I'm loving the game anyway, but I wish clovers were only tricky and not power-up only. Especially because they are part of the achievements.

7. DannyTheElite

DannyTheElite Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    This or the new half brick game?

8. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    It's still optional. Some achievements for other games REQUIRE you to buy consumables to get the achievement. Like buying a certain amount or using a certain amount of purchased items. It's really common. Achievements are nice but to say you're entitled to get every achievement doesn't make much sense. Some games don't even have them. And on consoles, some acheivements require an add-on pack to access all of them. What about those? Achievements are free "rewards" and not getting one doesn't stop you from beating the game. They're even worse than cosmetics because they don't change the game in any way besides a completion percentage. Unless the game says in order to play the final level, you need all 100% of the achievements then it's optional.

---

Btw, when did you guys get the costume set free? Make sure to tell other people when they say they can't get anything. I'm sure the rest aren't free though as I have a feeling the gift was an incentive for you to buy more with money.

Great game. Sometimes I'll pop it open just to play with Om Nom on the main screen :)

9. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    ZEPTOLAB is the NEW NINTENDO. Sorry but I am very excited for this game, don't take it to seriously Ha Ha.

10. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Thank. You.

As for the costume pack, I feel so bad because I didn't document where I was in the game in terms of three-star ratings and challenges completed. I want to say I got it at the beginning of level 4 in the Sandy Dam. Previous to that, I have 3 stars on most levels except maybe 4 or 5. As far as challenges go, I think I had maybe 50% to that point completed.

I was really tired when it happened, but I definitely got the costume somewhere in the Sandy Dam. It told me about the costume and then led me to the Cart icon where you would normally buy it with IAP, but all I had to do was tap on it and I was using it!

And before anyone claims I mistakenly bought it, I definitely did not because I restricted IAPs on my device so that I have to jump through many hoops if I want to buy one. :)

That's all I know, I'm sorry :(

11. Menel

Menel Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2012
    Engineer
    TN
    I was also awarded the free Winter/Christmas costume kit.

I think it may have been Sandy Dam or even Junkyard.

12. tiredcat

tiredcat Active Member

May 30, 2011
    Like MasterChief it was near the beginning of the second world. Whether other ones are free or not, I am happy to have one.the winter one is very cute and my son will love it if he unlocks it.

13. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    So are you saying that ALL levels with CLOVERS are ONLY SOLVABLE using POWER-UPS and cannot be solved otherwise? Yikes.

14. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    You have to use powerups to obtain clovers, but as has been stated you are given free powerups every once in a while.

15. Menel

Menel Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2012
    Engineer
    TN
    They did this for the final Time Travel Future set of levels.

16. DannyTheElite

DannyTheElite Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    Anyone?

17. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    If that's the case for this game (which I don't see yet) then that's pretty unfair. But none of us have yet to finish the game and so far it seems the only extra stuff is the bonus missions which don't affect the other worlds.

So far the game is generous with giving free bonuses occassionally and an outfit - which most of us are all surprised from. And it fits the season. So thanks at least for that Zepto :eek:

I'd say this. I actually haven't played that game but I hear it's mixed freemium. So they're different games really. The other is like action/puzzle/matching/I don't know but you're managing an alien while fighting off humans. This is a pure puzzle - feel good game. And it's NOT freemium. Pretty much every game that's paid has something to buy now but it doesn't make it a freemium game if it doesn't stop you from winning. They're just trying to make some extra money off you for better or for worse. It's really your preference.

18. Menel

Menel Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2012
    Engineer
    TN
    Many. I wouldn't say definitively ALL, since I haven't played all. And I might have gotten a clover without.

But a large majority require POWER-UPS.

19. dclose

dclose Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    #79 dclose, Dec 19, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
    Not sure why you think that. I 3-starred the time travel future levels without using any iap, and I now have very achievement showing on Game Center except "Feeding time" (because I haven't bothered to even try for that one yet). There was a missing snowflake for a bit, so for a short time you could only collect 39, not the required 40, in order to get a Christmas hat for OmNom to wear, but that's been corrected. That snowflake is now present in the game and easily obtained, so that you can get the hat-costume bit for free.

Or did you mean the requirement that the Time Travel Future set of levels didn't unlock without 3-starring all the other levels too? That was a bit "mean", I agree, but not impossible to accomplish.

20. ednan

ednan Well-Known Member

Both are completely different games, and both are awesome.

Colossatron is a match-3/tower-defense disguised as a giant snake which has as objective destroy the word. The gameplay is frantic and requires quite a bit of attention, otherwise you will be easily overwhelmed.
    Disregard the "freemium" whining. This is TA, all people do is whine when they see IAP. The IAP will only make the game easy, which is kind of pointless (same thing on Cut the Rope2).

Cut the Rope 2 is a more laid back experience. Om nom is cuter than ever and the puzzles are sometimes hard. Some challenges are insanely hard - and no IAP will make them much easier, so no, they're not pushing you towards the IAP.
    The only thing that bothered *me* is how you must use power-ups to get to the secret levels. But that's just me. I like to 3-star everything before going to the next set, and it's impossible to do that as there're not enough free power-ups to do so.

As I said in the beginning, both games are awesome and worth the huge price tag of 99c.