Universal Cut the Rope 2 - (by ZeptoLab UK Limited)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Dec 18, 2013.

1. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    So I've played the entire first set of levels (The Forest). The game is just as fun as I would hope a Cut the Rope to be. It has the same gameplay in this chapter as the other games, but there were a few puzzles that required me to think in a slightly different way since Omnom can now be moved instead of being stationary.

To get all 3 stars will take a little thinking, for sure!

Something I also like is that all the levels have a challenge to complete. You can beat all of them normally, but the challenges range from "Complete the Level With 0 Stars" to "Complete the Level With 1 Star While Also Not Using the Air Cannon."

Each level has one challenge and when you complete that challenge, you get a little medal icon on the level select button.

Judging from this first chapter, there seems to be 3 four-leaf clovers hidden in each world. Well, hidden in the sense that you have to use a special ability to be able to get them. See, when you first learn about the four-leaf clover, the game forces you to use a balloon item. They give you three to start out with, but by the time I finished that level, I only had one left... one that was forced to be used, and one more since I had to redo the level because I screwed up the first time.

I feel like those abilities for picking up clovers could get frustrating. Not frustrating on the level of "You need to use that superpower to get that blue star on all these levels," but the thought of running out of said powerups is a worrisome one.

Thankfully as L. Lawliet said, the IAPs for buying more powerups do offer bundles. I'm not exactly sure what a bundle for the powerups entails... You can buy one for $3.99 and you get 6... I don't know if that means 6 of each powerup, or 2 of each powerup (equaling 6 total), but it worries me that the game doesn't seem to give you much in the way of powerups, but I'm also not 100% sure how that all works.

What scared me at first was at the bottom of this set of levels, there were 5 levels locked behind a clover lock. I needed all three clovers from that world to open that set of levels. What scared me about this was I worried that this meant I needed to eventually buy powerups to get all the clovers in order to progress to the next world... graciously, ZeptoLabs is very kind about that and it seems those locked levels are completely optional.

The graphics are really outstanding. Omnom's animations, the sharpness and clarity of everything else... it's a real treat for the eyes. Omnom's sound effects seem to have been recorded again, or they just upped the cuteness on them... because I felt so bad every time I lost a candy this time around, whereas in the other games it's kind of a "Meh, whatever" feeling :p

Overall, so far, this game is great. If you like Cut the Rope, get it. If you love Cut the Rope, GET IT. I have a feeling it will get quite challenging later on, especially with regards to the aforementioned "challenges" on each level.

Loving this so far :cool:

2. B3NDoX

B3NDoX Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2013
    I don't think extra levels are optional I'm the kind of person who PERFECTED cut the rope and to have these stupid IAPs in a freaking puzzle game really upsets me. I'm pretty dissapointed in this and collosotron two games games ruined by iap

3. Andre

Andre Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Great news. Waiting on US Store.

4. Gotoma

Gotoma Member

Nov 14, 2013
    #45 Gotoma, Dec 19, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
    Fun fact: om nom at the title screen has more tricks than Hatch's fugu,minus the poop.

5. MaverickX12

MaverickX12 Active Member

Dec 9, 2010
    So glad this is out...had so much fun with the others. Best animations in any iOS game, as far as I'm concerned!

6. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    What???

The game stutters like crazy on an iPad 3!!!

Also, the scores to get the extra challenge achievements for some levels are ridiculously tight? Is it supposed to be this difficult even so early in the game?

Am I missing something here?

7. GeorgyKurgan

GeorgyKurgan Member

May 14, 2013
    Community Manager at ZeptoLab
    Actually, you get some random powerups for free every day. Not to mention that you don't need these at all to beat the game :)

Cheer up, it's totally optional!

8. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Game can be as good as it can, but I dont care anymore. Asked for a refund. Paying powerups with IAP? Buying costumes with IAP? I dont want that. I hate this kind of model, really hate it. Greed all over. I will be persistent with this until they give me back my money, even if its 99 cents. I dont want them to have my money.

9. tiredcat

tiredcat Active Member

May 30, 2011
    Any idea why the opening screen asks for age?

10. Echoen

Echoen Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    USA
    I doubt you'd change the little dude's look anyway even if the costumes were free to complete your enjoyment but come on, the core of the game is completely intact. The power ups will void the stage's score when used so everyone's on an equal foot.

11. GeorgyKurgan

GeorgyKurgan Member

May 14, 2013
    Community Manager at ZeptoLab
    I hope you'll buy yourself something really valuable with those ninety nine cents! :)

12. farley

farley Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    If you're over 18, Om-Nom plays without his pants on...

13. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Another app that has value in my eyes :D

14. tiredcat

tiredcat Active Member

May 30, 2011
    I am not convinced that the in-app purchases need to be used either. For example, I just was rewarded the winter set. I did not buy it. The only issue now, of course, is that my kiddo will desperately want it if he sees mine, so I may have him play for a bit to see if he gets it.

Overall the game is looking fairly good. The interactive Om Nom my son will love.

15. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Hallelujah, this is the HOLY GRAIL of gaming, thanks ZEPTOLAB. Game of the year for me.

16. Menel

Menel Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2012
    Engineer
    TN
    Nope, a few of the scores are ridiculous to achieve.

Also... what's up with those extra challenge awards? There is no gamecenter tracking of them that I see... !?

Stutters mentioned on iPad 3. The huge blown up 451MB size. I think it's rushed for the holiday season, and not fully optimized. Expect a Jan patch, for optimizations, and even more at the next content update.

17. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Not to be one of "those guys", but how are the controls and responsiveness on this one in tandem with the IAP? I remember the first Cut The Rope and how it is released and played before they started to include the in app purchases power ups in that one, and to me it felt very noticeable after that its inclusion how adjusted the gameplay balance was to necessitate the power ups and other items within the game. Even have the versions to go to play and feel the difference over that games 3 or so years of updates, so for me its not just a matter of an opinion when I can actively play and feel the difference. Not trying to start arguments or anything, just want to know if I should even bother for those who have actually played the first since release and noticed the changes and then played this one.

How does this one fair? Does the gameplay feel more balanced or less? To me its not an issue of $.99 and paying more later... I would just rather pay the appropriate price the developer feels this is actually worth (or know what I am paying for and not feel like I've wasted my time and money) and be done without that nagging feeling that the gameplay system is being slanted toward the pay model rather than game balance.

Again, not trying to debate, I just would like honest opinions from those who have actually played both since their respective releases...

18. ednan

ednan Well-Known Member

#59 ednan, Dec 19, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
    It doesn't look like you need IAP at all. The power-ups will make your life easy. But why play a puzzle game if you want it to solve by itself?

That said, there are special stages which must be unlocked with clovers. Until now, every clover I found had to use a power-up to get (or at least I could not think any other way to do it), and worse, if you use a power-up and fail to get the clover for some reason, you will lose the used power-up, therefore you will have to do something else in order to get it (if that's possible, I don't know yet).

It's a 99c universal game and unlike Rovio (which are a bunch of lazy greedy bastards), Zeptolab has iCloud support. So thumbs up for that.

Even without the few "secret" levels, 99c is a steal. The game looks gorgeous on my iPhone 5s and my iPad 4.

19. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Enjoying the game and not regretting the purchase either, I've also had the winter set free and had no need for IAP so far and imagine it won't be needed either as it wasn't on previous games.

My only wish is for a smaller file size but given these guys generally do updates for their games I'm sure we will see something.