Universal Cut the Rope 2 - (by ZeptoLab UK Limited)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Dec 18, 2013.

1. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    #221 y2kmp3, Dec 29, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
    Hi, MasterChief3624,

First, congrats on your placing on the leaderboard! I don't compete there myself, but I appreciate the honest effort by you to score high there, given that it is sadly littered with many cheaters.

For Worlds 1-21, 1-22, 1-23, what high scores do you consider to be adequate?

As you may have found out yourself already, for MOST (but NOT ALL) levels, it is possible to score over 5000 with 3 stars. This is sort-of a hidden goal of the game. The few exceptions are those in which the gold challenges themselves are for a lower score, implicitly implying that scoring over 5000 may not be possible.

This is an important consideration because among the levels you spoke, 1-23 is one such level with the gold challenge being able to score over 4850. For this level, I was UNABLE to score above 5000. *** CORRECTION: It is 2-23 NOT 1-23 as I previously stated. This was a typo. ***

If you can share your current scores for these levels here, I will be happy to write out my strategies if I can work out a scheme to score higher. I am fully aware that you are an EXPERT player of this game, so chances are high that you are already scoring much higher than most of the players (including me) here in this forum.

PS: Received your PM. Apology accepted. You made my day. Thank you. I was actually quite sadden over this incident, as I love this community very much and have worked very hard to be a good participant in this forum (while still being able to voice my feedback, both positive and negative, about a game). You and I are good now. No worry. ;)

2. marco76

marco76 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    Verona - Italy
    Hi guys i confirm the daily bonus after 24 hours on my iPad 1 generation cool

3. I got it today too. Maybe it works.

4. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Thank you! :cool: Yeah, the cheaters are quite annoying, but ehhh. :)

Haha, I appreciate the kind words. :)

I don't really have a set amount of points that I consider adequate... it's pretty much a level-by-level basis, and I'm only happy when I feel that I have 100% gotten it down as fast as possible along with getting all the stars. But the distinct pattern with these levels I brought up is that they are not netting me more than 5,000 points each. They were all in the sub-4,400 range which is a travesty for me. I love me those 5,000+ers! :p

I actually managed to get a decent score on 1-23 while waiting for a movie to start. 5,204 points... that's not too shabby, and I think I'm quite happy with that result.

I don't see a way to view the individual scores, but I'm quite sure I have not cracked 4,500 on 1-21. I swear there is a way to go faster, but I can't seem to find it. My strategy so far is
    tap the left-most balloon and wait for the log to anchor the log train down far enough that I can get that star on the left.

Immediately, I disconnect that far-left log (the same one that held the balloon I hit at the beginning of the level) and tap the balloon on the far-right, hoping to weigh it down to the right side. Then I disconnect the appropriate logs and tap the right balloons to make a beeline down to Om Nom while also picking up those two stars vertical to each other.

But this method takes probably 45 seconds or more... stark contrast to single-digit seconds that usually come from these levels. There has to be a faster way to do this one... I have tried wrapping the logs around the middle island, but to no avail. This level is one that legitimately has me stumped regarding how to beat it fast.
    I just tried it again, and my score was 4,073. That's not my best score, but I wouldn't be surprised if it were merely 10 or 20 points away from my best.

Oh wow... so I just tried 1-22 again, and I only got 4,366 points... :( This is another level that I feel has a much faster path, but I cannot find it.

I am interested to hear about your strategies for 1-22 and 1-21 :eek:

P.S. Good to be your friend again :cool:

5. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    #225 y2kmp3, Dec 30, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
    Very interesting. I agree with you that these "clover" levels are particularly difficult to get a high score.

In my previous post, I erred in describing the score threshold for 1-23. It was 2-23 (not 1-23) that I was actually describing.

However, I checked my score for 1-21, and I was able to get 4551, barely over the threshold of 4,500 that you were experimenting with. My maneuver differed from yours in only one major way.

I, too, drop the log at the far left first by bursting the balloon above it. Wait until the candy catches the star on the left, immediately burst the balloon on the far right and then almost immediately also burst the balloon next to it without cutting off any more logs ** DIFFERENT FROM YOURS **. The logs will descend VERY QUICKLY to the right. Cut off BOTH LOGS as soon as the sole remaining balloon with the candy above it moves laterally and just to the right enough that it is now below the right higher star. This will cause the candy to rise to get that star. Burst the balloon to let the candy drop. The lateral momentum of the candy will cause it to drop toward the right to the downward slope. It is very important to hit this slope, otherwise the candy will not roll toward Om Nom fast enough. From there, it will then bounce/roll off it to get the remaining star and then to Om Nom.

With some practice, knowing that you are an expert player, I think you can easily beat my score. I suppose the question is now whether or not 5000+ is possible. I think the initial slow drop to the left basically kills any chance that this higher threshold can be crossed.

For Level 1-22, I was able to get 4541. My strategy is pretty standard, as I don't see a cleverer way to solve this. The only trick is the timing of the last candy drop:

When you drop the candy from the top to the bottom Roto, time the drop as late as possible so that the candy will swing widely as Roto carries it. This swing creates the lateral momentum which you can leverage when dropping the candy on the lower platform. Now, you no longer need to drop the candy on top of the star but to the RIGHT of the star. The lateral momentum will carry the candy to the left a bit to hit the star, after which it will also roll quicker to the right to Om Nom. If the roll is quick enough, it will avoid the bump as it transitions off the log that will again slow it down.

PS: What a pleasure to be able to get obsessed over a level with someone like you who share the same passion and "obsession" for perfection as I do for a game like this. Beautiful!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. MasterChief3624

Oct 11, 2009
    Thank you a lot for the tips! I actually managed to better my score using that strategy on 1-21!

Is it safe to say most levels with balloons as a central aspect are impossible to get 5,000+ on?

I remembered another level with a balloon that has been annoying me with regards to speed... it's the level where you have a sole balloon and a candy, and the three stars are all in a straight vertical line over Om Nom, with the middle star moving left and right.
    I have tried using the tiniest of momentum from popping the balloon to swing the candy to that moving star, but no luck.

Haha, I can't tell if you're being sarcastic when calling me an expert... :p I'm not usually good at games with the exception of Conker: Live & Reloaded, Rock Band, Tony Hawk, and Donkey Kong everything. But if you're not being sarcastic, I really appreciate that compliment :eek: I don't think I'm that good at Cut the Rope... usually just the first world or so :p

7. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    This is a very interesting theory. I kept a tally of the scores I had for all of the levels, but even with these info, it would be very difficult to prove your hypothesis. This is because there is no way we can be certain that we have the most "optimal" solutions. Thus, at best, we can only say that it is possible to score above some cutoff. But we will not be able to say that it is impossible to reach above some other score without knowing the programming limits of the code that guide the physics in the game.

I am absolutely genuine in saying that you are an expert player (no joke), not just because your placement on the leader board but also because of the expert strategies you demonstrated in your solutions. After I finished the game, I used the firefly to see what the stock solutions were for a few levels. In these few cases, I found the stock solutions to be terribly inefficient, meaning that there was much room for improvements. I suspect that this was a deliberate choice on the developer's part to encourage expert players (like you) to experiment to find a more efficient solution.

How high of a score did you manage to get for 1-21?

8. marco76

marco76 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    Verona - Italy
    Hi guys if you got the medal do you have more ballons or power? I don t understand this challenge...

9. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Wow Masterchief you past me on the leaderboard, got to play some more now.

10. Breinstein

Breinstein Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I have looked verywhere but I could not find it, is it correct that you can not see your level score? Apart from the message that the score was improved, how do you guys know what you scored for a certain level?

11. MasterChief3624

Oct 11, 2009
    Hm, maybe we can start by denoting a lower threshold for the balloon levels? :D

Speaking of coding limits, I had a bizarre glitch the other day. On the screen that comes up after you beat a level, before my Om Nom appeared one time, he actually came in as a warped two-dimensional glitchy Om Nom before becoming a full Om Nom. It was bizarre... :p

I'm glad the stock solutions are basic. It's a good thing for people like us that love to get as high of score as possible, but it's also good for the people that actually need to use those solutions, because the solutions you and I come up with are probably really frustrating for a less obsessive player, you know? :p

I don't even remember now :( I think it was 4,545 or something, haha.

The medals on each level are just alternate challenges to try and complete. They are there to add a little more replay value. I love the medal challenges that require one star and not using a certain object.. those are the most satisfying for me! :D

But no, they are more or less just for personal fun. As far as I know, there are no rewards for them.

:cool:

We should add each other on Game Center. Keep tabs on us as heroes and nemeses. ;) Same to you, y2kmpf3! We should all add each other as the three musketeers.

Unless I'm missing something, the high score for a level can not be viewed individually like in the other Cut the Rope games. Usually the score will appear in a tiny section at the top-right of the Pause menu, but in this game that is not the case :(

Legitimately the only problem I have with the game. So far, at least. :p

12. darnoc703

darnoc703 Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2013
    Cant seem to get 3 stars on this one

13. darnoc703

darnoc703 Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2013
    Sorry here it is.

Attached Files:

14. MasterChief3624

Oct 11, 2009
    That's 1-21, and y2kmpf3 (I think that's their name) posted a very detailed text solution a few posts above yours. :)

But basically I think just
    tap the leftmost balloon and wait for it to anchor the candy down to that star, then tap the rightmost and balloon next to the rightmost to make the right side of the logs to anchor down, then cut them free, and then cut the final log free, levitate with the balloon to get the star high in the air, and then pop the balloon. That should work!

15. vii-Lucky

vii-Lucky Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2013
    What's the update all about?

16. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Yeah. CTR: Time Travel was the same.

Redownloading now to check out the update. Hope the cloud save works!

17. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Update means that the last four levels in each world can be unlocked be earning the medals for the first 20 levels in the world. Means I've now got 2-21 to 2-24 available and I feel more motivated to pick off the last few medals in later worlds.

18. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    So how come I never get daily gifts?

19. MrJayden

MrJayden Active Member

Jul 20, 2013
    Singapore
    How do I get the medal for 2-17? Tried every combination of logs falling and I still can't get 2 stars :( either that or the candy bounces up and I get 3 stars.

20. Max0809

Max0809 Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Did they reduce the installed file size with the new update, cause I remember that it was about 400 MB installed and that's why I deleted it ?